Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 satelite update without ethernet

CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR750 satelite update without ethernet

@vdotmatrix wrote:

i have been replacing modems and xfinity replaced our own modem that i thought was bad, with a modem with built in router, which renders the ORBI INOPERABLE

Not correct. The  Orbi system functions perfectly well when connected to an ISP router.  There are specific applications which struggle with "two routers". (Internet search for "Double NAT")  If you have no need for these applications, the Orbi system will be just fine.  (Of course, we on the forum prefer that people not have to face the potential that "something could not work" in the future. Thus, we recommend that users have only a single router.)  I have operated an Orbi router behind two separate routers (i.e. a "Triple NAT")  Getting those applications to work was possible, but a chore.

@vdotmatrix wrote:

[how is this router/satellite software mismatch possible??],

Having no connection with Netgear engineering, my guess is that someone in marketing said, "it would help a bunch if we had an AX system that was "in between" an all Orbi 350 system (cheap) and an all Orbi 750 system (expensive).  Can you make that happen?"  Sure. No problem.

Fast forward.  Which manager is going to assign a software team to ensure that this "odd duck" combination of products works if the RBR router firmware is updated?  (billing engineering time in 15 minute increments.)  Answer: "Fell through the cracks."  oops!

Message 26 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

OMG….THIS NIGHTMARE IS OVER… I HOPE. I reset everything, installed the old modem. and updated the router with the v4FW and it now sees everything.

IMG_3568.png

Message 27 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

There we go. Yay. 

I'd disable the Auto Update feature to be sure the RBR doesn't get updated from NG. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 28 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

Since I reset everything and downgraded the router, the router now doesn’t have the solid LED light that it did before and I can’t log into Orbi login so when I reset everything, it must’ve obliterated everything that I had in they are like the double secret question and answer. so what do I do now?

Message 29 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

I can’t login to Orbi login to turn the auto update off when I go into the Orbi app. I have a Red Square that says something needs to be updated but I know better now. I think I really do need to get the new modem anyway because it’s still not working just right specially with the router light not being solid still troubleshooting.

Message 30 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

How did you set up the system after you factory reset it? Orbi app or RBR WEB UI?

You have to save off any updates using the WEB UI on the RBR. Can't be done from the Orbi app. 

Front LED when OFF is operation normally:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Message 31 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

I set it up through the Orbi app. I can’t log into the RBR. Webb UI
Message 32 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Input same credentials as Orbi app? admin and password? 

Message 33 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

If i factory reset the router is everything wiped as well? I had to change the name of the router from Orbi95 to something else.

Message 34 of 40
CrimpOn
Guru

Changing the WiFi settings (SSID/password) affects only those settings.  It affects nothing else.

A Factory Reset erases every setting the use has made.

Message 35 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you been using the default SSID name or have you changed to Orbi95? Usually Orbi## is a default SSID name. Users are recommended to change this SSID name to something else during or after you get the system set up and your on the Home screen of the RBRs web page. SSID name can be anything, make it something intuitive and fun. 

@vdotmatrix wrote:

If i factory reset the router is everything wiped as well? I had to change the name of the router from Orbi95 to something else.

Message 36 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

Thank you. I changed it right away. The reason I couldn’t log into rbr is because it is still using the default admin password that i cannot change but was able to login that way and switch off autoupdate. Maybe it doesn’t like anything being done on an ipad. I will go over to the imac and try to change this.

Message 37 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, best to use a desktop PC and the web UI. 

Once all is changed, setup and configured, Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 38 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

interesting, the black dot placeholders in the passwords do not appear. 
anyway, i cannot update the password/login stuff in the orbi app.

IMG_3575.png

Message 39 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you can submit a bug report about:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

Otherwise, use a PC and web browser. 

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series