Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR840

4boys
Guide

Orbi RBR840

Looks like everything was updated except for the RBR 840 and RBS840. Wonder why....

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What version did you have before and what is the FW version now? 

Message 2 of 7
4boys
Guide

Good question, I actually installed this new (to me) Orbi system on Friday (9/8/23). I don't know what firmware was installed initially, but during the setup it ran an auto-check for new firmware and at that time it installed V4.6.14.5_2.3.13. This version does not support the IOT network. So I imagine it is not as current as the versions released for the other Orbi models.  

I realize that sometimes different models are updated at a later date, but this seemed to be a large planned "across the board" update. Thus I was curious if anybody had any information. 

Thanks for the quick response.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Ya, have know idea if the 840 series will get similar FW version as the other Orbi AX models with IoT support. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@4boys wrote:

Looks like everything was updated except for the RBR 840 and RBS840. Wonder why....

This is not the sort of thing that Netgear comments on (at least as far as I know).

My guess is that the 840 product is based on a different Qualcomm chip.  Notice that

The 840 Product Data Sheet describes the radio performance as:

CrimpOn_0-1694470191175.png

And the 850 Product Data Sheet describes the radio as:

CrimpOn_1-1694470306534.png

(No idea why one product has the 2.4G radio first and the other last.)

Adding the IoT network obviously involves dealing with the Qualcomm chip, so it's anyone's guess as to whether Netgear has assigned resources to make the same change to the 840 product as to the 750 and 850 products.

Message 5 of 7
4boys
Guide

It seems to me that it isn't in the cards for the 840, I was curious if anybody else had some insight. If not, then this is a transitional setup anyway. But it would be nice if they bring the same features to the entire product line.

Thanks again. I do appreciate your taking the time for me.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be patient. I'm sure NG will be forth coming when there ready. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series