Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 downloads slower (1/3rd) than uploads

Anyuser5454
Guide

Orbi Wifi 6 downloads slower (1/3rd) than uploads

I am trying to figure out why my WiFi downloads are so slow compared to my uploads when no other devices are downloading. And the router speedtest clocks at my ISPs stated speed.

I have 250 Mbit up and 250 Mbit down fiber. Getting only consistently WiFi 50 Mbit when I download, but over 180 Mbit for uploads through the base router. Why are my WiFi download speeds 1/3rd or 1/2 the rate of my uploads? The satellite is slower on both up and down, 20-30 on down and a much slower 50-60 on upload. These speed tests are on an iPhone X.

The Speedtest on the router itself (through the Orbi app) is 280 on up and down.

I tried rebooting and a hard reset twice. No difference. I changed the RTS to the maximum allowed (512 to 2347 changed the upload/download from 50/180 to 65/237) , and tried toggling the 20/40 on and off, and neither together or separately made any appreciable difference. I am still getting a third or half of the download speed I get compared to upload. Makes no sense.

My ISP is definitely providing the 250 up and 250 down. So why is the WiFi on my Orbi 842 not giving me an equal WiFi upload and download rate?!
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Anyuser5454
Guide

Thanks for the follow-up questions!

Turns out that Ethernet speed test from MBP -> Orbi -> Fiber ONT I get 220-280 down (depending on server or when I run the test on a given server)/285 up (all servers). Similarly, when I connect via Ethernet directly into the Fiber ONT router I also get 220-280 down (depending on the server or when I run the test on a given server)/285 up. The difference between down and up seems to be the ONT or my service provider or something not related to the Orbi. Opened a ticket with them.

I tested the MBP using WiFi around the house to see if I saw the same speeds, with all other devices on or off the WiFi, and I saw the same results. Slightly slower down, 285 up.

Overall, issue does not seem to be the Orbi! Happy it’s working like it should. Thank you all for your troubleshooting suggestions and questions.

My RBR840 router and satellite RBS840 are running the latest firmware, V3.2.10.11 and V3.2.10.11 (same for both).

My ONT is DASAN Zhone Solutions, ZNID-GE-2424A1-NA. This is the link to the specs for that ONT,
https://dasanzhone.com/product/znid-ge-2400a1-series/

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

@Anyuser5454 wrote:
I have 250 Mbit up and 250 Mbit down fiber. Getting only consistently WiFi 50 Mbit when I download, but over 180 Mbit for uploads through the base router. Why are my WiFi download speeds 1/3rd or 1/2 the rate of my uploads? The satellite is slower on both up and down, 20-30 on down and a much slower 50-60 on upload. These speed tests are on an iPhone X.

Realize that the iPhone X doesn't support Wifi 6.  However, that would only explain away your peak speeds not an upload/download difference.  Do you have another device to test and compare your wireless speeds with?  A phone may not be the best and there may be other limiting factors throttling top up/down speeds.  Also, what app are you using to test with?

My iPhone 11 Pro on the Speedtest app, connected to a satellite, measures 437 Mb down and 35 Mbps up.  My cable internet has much lower up speeds and this is consistent with similar speed tests from other machines connected directly to the cable modem.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What happens with AX mode disabled on the RBR? 

@Anyuser5454 wrote:
I am trying to figure out why my WiFi downloads are so slow compared to my uploads when no other devices are downloading. And the router speedtest clocks at my ISPs stated speed.

The Speedtest on the router itself (through the Orbi app) is 280 on up and down.

I tried rebooting and a hard reset twice. No difference. I changed the RTS to the maximum allowed (512 to 2347 changed the upload/download from 50/180 to 65/237) , and tried toggling the 20/40 on and off, and neither together or separately made any appreciable difference. I am still getting a third or half of the download speed I get compared to upload. Makes no sense.

My ISP is definitely providing the 250 up and 250 down. So why is the WiFi on my Orbi 842 not giving me an equal WiFi upload and download rate?!

Message 3 of 12
Anyuser5454
Guide

I’ll try running the Speedtest.com test on my 2015 MBP and an iPhone XR (Speedtest app) later today.
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. I know my MBP 2018 does.

Message 5 of 12
Anyuser5454
Guide

I believe the following is the conclusion I arrived at using Speetest.com or the Speedtest OOKLA app on my MBP Mid-2015, iPad Pro, iPhone X, and Apple TV 4K (all on AC connected WiFi): regardless of device, speeds varied based on the Speedtest server I was connected to and not necessarily because of the Orbi router. Downloads were always slower, usually half of what I could get for uploads - but I think this is a function of the servers not wanting to use up their upload bandwidth (my download), but willing to use up their download bandwidth (my upload). This "server hypothesis" includes the opposite conclusion, that the servers discriminate against my ISP.

An interesting sidenote is that the iPad and MBP were the fastest on Down & Up, and the iPhone and Apple TV were slower (in that order) regardless of server. There were random occasions when the iPad achived the 250 Mbps up and down, although no other device did. It's possible the iPhone and Apple TV were consistently slower because these two devices don't provide as much power throughput for down/uploads.

Overall, it seems like speeds vary based on server chosen. I do not believe the Orbi or devices are the culprits because running the speed tests from a given device with different servers I could see sometimes 50+ (iPhone/Apple TV) or 100+ Mbps (iPad/MBP) differences on download or upload, respectively. Nothing about Orbi or the device had changed but the speeds varied significantly.

Lingering thought/question. I wonder what server the Orbi app is connecting to because I couldn't ever get the same consistent test-over-test results over that Orbi is getting on through the Orbi app (always 280+ Mbps down and up, regardless of when tested). If the sever selection isn't the issue (ie. Orbi connects to any random nearby server), could the servers be providing faster up/down to the Orbi because it detects it's a router? Doubtful, but just strange that the Orbi sees utterly consistenly up/down, but my devices see very different speeds between servers.

I found I had the same results across devices with 20/40 on or off (20/40 didn't affect fast or slow results). I ran all the tests with WMM disabled and with CTS/RTS on 2347.

Message 6 of 12
Anyuser5454
Guide

PS - it's possible the Orbi router gets consistently high speeds regardless of server chosen because it runs short burst-speed tests (as evidenced by the quick succession/circling of speed results shown on the Orbi app when running a speedtest, versus the Speedtest.com tests that are longer tests measuring the throughput of a longer download/upload.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using a browser to speed test or Ooklas installable speed test app? 

Message 8 of 12
Anyuser5454
Guide

On the MBP I used the browser. On all other devices I used the app. In each format I selected specific servers a found consistent results across servers, although not good results (downloads always 1/2 as fast as uploads, with some servers with much faster downloads such as 100 Mbps vs 50 mbps).
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I use the app on my MBP. 

Do you have other wifi devices using the internet whilst your testing or just the test devices only? Just making sure someone isn't downloading or streaming while your speed testing. 

Are your wired speeds the same or are they different as well?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 10 of 12
Anyuser5454
Guide

Thanks for the follow-up questions!

Turns out that Ethernet speed test from MBP -> Orbi -> Fiber ONT I get 220-280 down (depending on server or when I run the test on a given server)/285 up (all servers). Similarly, when I connect via Ethernet directly into the Fiber ONT router I also get 220-280 down (depending on the server or when I run the test on a given server)/285 up. The difference between down and up seems to be the ONT or my service provider or something not related to the Orbi. Opened a ticket with them.

I tested the MBP using WiFi around the house to see if I saw the same speeds, with all other devices on or off the WiFi, and I saw the same results. Slightly slower down, 285 up.

Overall, issue does not seem to be the Orbi! Happy it’s working like it should. Thank you all for your troubleshooting suggestions and questions.

My RBR840 router and satellite RBS840 are running the latest firmware, V3.2.10.11 and V3.2.10.11 (same for both).

My ONT is DASAN Zhone Solutions, ZNID-GE-2424A1-NA. This is the link to the specs for that ONT,
https://dasanzhone.com/product/znid-ge-2400a1-series/
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo