Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Outdoor extension

s1lence1
Aspirant

Outdoor extension

I currently have a rbr750 mesh with 4 satellites. I need to extend my wifi outdoors to cover my long driveway with my cameras. Is there an outdoor range extender that I can add on to this system? It would be possible to remove one of my existing extenders if I am limited to 4 on my wifi6 if there was an outdoor product available.

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear has not developed an outdoor rated satellite for the AX product line.

It is possible to have more than 4 satellites on a system, so a regular satellite could be installed outside in a plastic weather proof enclosure.

Since cameras are not mobile devices, any outdoor rated WiFi extender from any company can be used to extend coverage.

"Long" is a bit ambiguous.  2.4G WiFi cameras will have greater range than 5G camera, but even 2.4G cameras will not operate will at very long distances.

Message 2 of 8
s1lence1
Aspirant

I live in an area where we have intense weather so an indoor xtender would be subject to the worst.Even a lexan enclosure wouldn't protect it from the elements.I'm wondering if a https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbs50y/ would be compatible with my system.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@s1lence1 wrote:

.I'm wondering if a https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbs50y/ would be compatible with my system.

Yes, the RBS50Y is compatible with the Orbi 850 system in the same sense that any brand of WiFi extender is compatible.

When placed in "Extender Mode", the RBS50Y will connect to any brand of WiFi system and act as a WiFi access point
(just like any other outdoor rated WiFi extender will).

Amazon shows a range of outdoor WiFi extender products.  Because Amazon's method of displaying products is so horribly messed up, the descriptions should be read very carefully to ensure that the specific product is:

• Actually intended for outdoor use.
  • Uses WiFi to connect to the primary WiFi system rather than Ethernet cable.
  • Has a power supply that fits your capbilities.

As an example, some outdoor rated WiFi extenders are intended to connect to the home network using a Power over Ethernet cable, which provides both the network connection and the electrical power.  Thus, a small hole drilled through the wall eliminates the concerns over WiFi penetrating the wall and finding an outside electrical connection that is convenient to the desired location and can be made weatherproof.

The key to using a generic WiFi extender is that it is not a "satellite".  When mobile devices roam around the property, they will not roam seamlessly between the extender and the primary WiFi system (as they should be doing indoors).

Message 4 of 8
JoshDi
Apprentice

i put another RBS850 in a waterproof enclosure outside and have a waterproof passthrough for the power cable - its been working well so far. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What enclosure did you use? Got a link?

Message 6 of 8
JoshDi
Apprentice

Otdorpatio Project Box IP65 Waterproof Junction Box ABS Plastic Black Electrical Boxes DIY Electronic Project Case Power Enclosure 11.42x8.27x3.94 inch (290x210x100 mm)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N1JCYLH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I used some large zip ties to secure this to my fence. 

I put an outdoor rated extension cord (cut and spliced) to put through the side of this enclosure with one of these: 

Cable Glands - 25 Pack Plastic Waterproof 3.5-13mm Nylon Cable Glands Joints Wire Protectors, PG 7/9/11/13.5/16, for Home/Garden/Outdoor Lighting Cable Black

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GHB2P4X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Nice info. Thank you. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements