Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753-100NAR number of Extenders RBS750

Ed-K1
Aspirant

RBK753-100NAR number of Extenders RBS750

I purchased a RBK753 with 2 satellite RBS750s last year. I would like to add additional satellites but can not find information on the number of satellites I can expand to.

I ordered an additional RBS750 and it will not sync with the RBK753. I eventually reset all the equipment and it will only sync with the original satellites.

Firmware is  V7.2.6.31

Current system RBK753 main router and 2 satellites.

Would like to add 2 additional satellites.

What is the total number of satellites I can expand to?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System 📡 🛰

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ed-K1 wrote:

I ordered an additional RBS750 and it will not sync with the RBK753. I eventually reset all the equipment and it will only sync with the original satellites.

Please describe the process being used to add this 3rd Orbi satellite.

The typical pattern is to place the new satellite in the same room as the router (which makes conducting and observing the process much more convenient).  After the satellite has successfully been added and appears correctly on the Attached Devices display, then relocate the satellite to the desired remote location.

If the normal "Add Orbi Satellite" method does not work, some users report success by connecting the new satellite to the router with a short Ethernet cable and letting them sync.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

IF this is a new RBS that is being added, you'll need to get the FW updated to same version of FW thats on the current system. 

@Ed-K1 wrote:

I purchased a RBK753 with 2 satellite RBS750s last year. I would like to add additional satellites but can not find information on the number of satellites I can expand to.

Firmware is  V7.2.6.31

Current system RBK753 main router and 2 satellites.

Would like to add 2 additional satellites.

What is the total number of satellites I can expand to?

Message 4 of 7
Ed-K1
Aspirant

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

IF this is a new RBS that is being added, you'll need to get the FW updated to same version of FW thats on the current system.

This appears to be a serious issue with either (a) the Orbi AX product line, or (b) the most recent firmware versions (v7 et al.)

How does the average customer change firmware on a satellite when

• He cannot access the satellite web interface (or 'app' interface) to learn what firmware is currently on the satellite?
  • He cannot access the satellite to update firmware, either by using the Orbi router process or by connecting directly to the web interface of the satellite?

It is intellectually interesting to read about how "Orbi hackers" use the serial interface or TFTP to load firmware on a device.  Surely that is not what Netgear intends to happen to customers who purchase an RBS750 new in a factory package?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Been like this since the AC series, Even if current RBS are at same level as RBR, new incoming RBS may not be at same level being boxed up and sitting on the shelf until someone buys it. Usually RBS can connect but if FW is too far in between levels, then they may not. Trying to ethernet connect them to the RBR first should be checked. Also most RBS have a self service web page. If the RBS doesn't sync or is factory reset and left alone for 5 minutes, a wired PC and web browser connected to the back of the RBS and for Orbi AX systems, should be able access the RBS self service web page at 192.168.10.250 and send the updated FW file there to get it updated for new incoming RBS that were bought after the fact. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series