Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 750 no longer has wifi 6

Kowaj
Aspirant

RBR 750 no longer has wifi 6

For some time my Orbi RBR750 router shows no option to enable wifi 6.  I tried doing a factory reset today but still nothing.  Anyone have any ideas?  Its on the latest firmware

Kowaj_0-1678379932480.png

Hardware VersionRBR750

Firmware VersionV4.6.14.3_2.3.12

GUI Language VersionV3.0.1.54_2.1.30.3

Operation ModeRouter
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi 750 product supports WiFi6, also called 802.11ax. This is a different encoding method for WiFi in the 5GHz radio band.

The WiFi Alliance created a nightmare for consumers when they chose to name this WiFi6.  Then, when the 6GHz radio band was approved for consumer WiFi, the Alliance created the name WiFi6E. The Orbi750 was designed and sold before the 6GHz radio band was approved and does not include WiFi chips, amplifiers, or antennas for WiFi6E.

My guess is that the goal at the time was to tout that this new encoding scheme was to entice customers to upgrade their router because "obviously 6 is better than 5,"  Now, we all have to live with this mess.

The way to ensure that the Orbi 750 is providing WiFi6 is to ensure that the "ax" feature is enabled.  "on" being the default, the User Manual does not describe how to enable/disable "ax".  That is probably found on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Settings page.

Message 2 of 7
Kowaj
Aspirant

So I basically don't really have true WIFI 6 to sum it up.  Thanks I appreciate the information.  I guess I should have done more research before buying it.  

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Fortunately, very few customers have any devices which can take advantage of the 6GHz radio band (WiFi6E)

For example, there are zero iPhones or iPads which support the 6GHz frequency:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064176/Does-my-Apple-iPhone-iPad-or-Mac-support-WiFi-6E 

There are now scads of devices which support WiFi6, which the 750 provides.

Message 4 of 7
Phyber
Luminary

That is true. I have an M1 MacBook Pro, an M1 iPad Air (5th gen), and an iPhone 12. All have WiFi "6", but not 6GHz radios as mentioned. That being said, the speeds I see are faster so it is connecting at "X" but it's not blindingly faster as some are lead to believe. The 750 is still very fast and stable so I'm happy.

Message 5 of 7
Kowaj
Aspirant

I just remember my phone formerly connecting to the ORBI and stating WIFI 6 and it stopped doing that.  I just never took the time to look more into my router.  I do have a few devices that have WIFI 6 including a new gaming PC I am building.  That is what made me look into the issue of my phone not showing wifi6 anymore.  Thanks for the help all!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Most current and say 3-6 years circa wifi devices, Phones and pads support WiFi 6 (AX mode). So you may have something around from this time frame, you have some WiFi6 5Ghz AX mode support on these devices. WiFi AX mode on 5Ghz first started appearing in the market around 2017. 

WiFi 6E which is AX mode on 6Ghz started 2021. 

@Kowaj wrote:

So I basically don't really have true WIFI 6 to sum it up.  Thanks I appreciate the information.  I guess I should have done more research before buying it.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7