Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 in AP mode connected to new RB960

PiotrNH
Follower

RBR50 in AP mode connected to new RB960

I am upgrading to an Orbi 960 and I currrently have an RBR50. Can I put the RBR50 in AP mode and use the two simultaniously to get even more coverage? Has anyone tried this , or will they interfere with each other?

Thank You in advance,

Peter

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@PiotrNH wrote:

I am upgrading to an Orbi 960 and I currrently have an RBR50. Can I put the RBR50 in AP mode and use the two simultaniously to get even more coverage? Has anyone tried this , or will they interfere with each other?

They will not "interfere".  They will ignore each other.  Even if the old and new WiFi systems have identical SSID's and passwords, they remain two independent WiFi systems.  As long as devices do not move around, this will not be a problem.  Once a device begins to move, it will not switch seamlessly from one system to the other (and back), which is probably what you are looking for.

Also, the RBR50 can be connected only by ethernet to the primary router, which may be impractical.

Any WiFi access point (or WiFi 'extender'), from any vendor, can be attached to the 960 to expand coverage as long it is clear that only devices that do not move will be happy.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the RBR 50 in AP mode. RBR50 should be placed 30 feet or more away from the RBRE/SE960.

Use far separate channels on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on each RBR unit. 

I would run the power transmit on the RBR50 at 25%.

Should be ok. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@PiotrNH wrote:

They will not "interfere".  They will ignore each other.  Even if the old and new WiFi systems have identical SSID's and passwords, they remain two independent WiFi systems.  As long as devices do not move around, this will not be a problem.  Once a device begins to move, it will not switch seamlessly from one system to the other (and back), which is probably what you are looking for.

Also, the RBR50 can be connected only by ethernet to the primary router, which may be impractical.

Any WiFi access point (or WiFi 'extender'), from any vendor, can be attached to the 960 to expand coverage as long it is clear that only devices that do not move will be happy.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7