Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 unable to assign IP addresses after reboot

rayjai
Guide

RBR750 unable to assign IP addresses after reboot

Hi, every time I reboot or unplug my router to move it, all my devices will disconnect and will have an "unable to assign IP addresses" error. I have 48 devices and all of them will not connect. I would try rebooting the modem and router with no affect. The only way to "fix" it is to hard reset my router and redo all my settings, but if I ever need to reboot again, it would lose it all. 

Message 1 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 62
CrimpOn
Guru

@rayjai wrote:

Hi, every time I reboot or unplug my router to move it, all my devices will disconnect and will have an "unable to assign IP addresses" error. I have 48 devices and all of them will not connect. I would try rebooting the modem and router with no effect. The only way to "fix" it is to hard reset my router and redo all my settings, but if I ever need to reboot again, it would lose it all. 

Are any of these devices connected to the system with Ethernet cable?

Are you a PC or an Apple house? (there is a tool I'd like to suggest that runs on Windows.)

Have you saved a copy of the configuration to your computer?

(This saves enormous time when doing a Factory Reset.)

I spent a lot of time once configuring devices on my computer and forgot to click the "Apply" button. Was really annoyed when it all disappeared.

Message 3 of 62
rayjai
Guide

firmware V4.6.8.2 for the router.

I am using a CM600 modem with optimum.

I'm not sure about the distance, but my backhaul is good.

Satellite 1 - 2 is V4.6.8.2

Satellite 3 is V4.6.5.14, it says there's no new firmware for this one.

Message 4 of 62
rayjai
Guide

everything is connected to through wifi only, and I am on PC, android and iphones

I tried the windows troubleshoot and it says it could not resolve the IP.

Message 5 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try a different browser?

What are you seeing when you trying to set an IP address reservation?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 6 of 62
tucsontico
Virtuoso

The fact that one of your Sats is on a different firmware can be causing your issue. Either downgrade the RBR and  Sat 1 & 2 to match Sat 3 or upgrade Sat 3 to match the RBR and Sat 1 & 2. If possible, do the upgrade or downgrade via ethernet. With the problems a lot of folks are seeing with 4.6.8.2, I'd recommend downgrading to 4.6.5.14. After reloading whichever firmware you decide on, do a factory reset on the RBR and Sats, then reconfigure from scratch (or a backup config file). Good Luck!

Message 7 of 62
rayjai
Guide

I tried, chrome edge and safari. I don't think it's browser related since I the devices can't connect to the wifi. It says invalid IP address when I try to connect to it.

I'll try the firmware updates.

Factory resets seems to be the only way to fix it. A simple reset doesn't fix it. Some devices will still have trouble connecting but it resolves itself after about a day later.

Message 8 of 62
rayjai
Guide

I just tried manual update and it says firmware upgrade failed. I wasn't able to see the option to upgrade the router either.

Edit, after the reboot from the update, all my ip addresses are invalid again. I am replying using my mobile data.

Message 9 of 62
FURRYe38
Guru

If your on v.2 I recommend not downgrading FW. 

I would do a factory reset and setup from scratch. I would also change the IP address pool size to .100 to .200. Gives you plenty of room for IP reservations and gives you room for static IP addressed devices on either side of this pool. 

Message 10 of 62
rayjai
Guide

Update: One of the satellites says updated but the firmware number did not change? It is still on the previous version. Satellite #3 also wont connect now.  

Edit, I don't understand what's going on. Satellite 3 wont reconnect now

- Satellite 1 and 2 reappears and disappear. I downgraded 1 and 2 but 1 still shows the 4.6.8.2 FW

- Attached devices only shows #2 connected.

- Firmware pages only shows #1 connected.

i have tried rebooting and factory resetting.

Message 11 of 62
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Did you do the firmware updates via ethernet or WiFi? Sounds as if you've gotten several pieces of your setup out of sync as far as the firmware version goes. Be very methodical and retry installing the firmware via ethernet. Download fresh firmware files from Netgear.

Manually reinstall the firmware on the sats first then the router last. Do a factory reset of the sats and allow them to stabilize and reconnect to the router. If they won't connect then power them off while you reinstall the firmware on the router. Factory reset the router. Power off your modem and router for at least 1 minute (5 minutes might be better). Power up your modem and allow it to stabilize . Then power up your router and allow it to stabilize. Check the firmware version the router is reporting. If it is what you installed, power up the sats one at a time. Allow each sat to connect and report good backhaul before powering up the next one in your chain. (This can take pretty long time–easily several minutes.) When all sats are back up and reporting good backhaul status. Begin a reconfiguration of your system. (If you have a backup config file use it.)

If the sats won't connect or are showing odd information on the attached devices page of the router web-based UI, tell the router to "forget" the sats and start over by adding them back in. Again, one at a time.

I know you've told us you tried all this before but please attempt it one more time. Be methodical and patient between steps. It will take more time to let the router and sats stabilize between steps then it does to perform the step. Good Luck! 

Message 12 of 62
rayjai
Guide

I was able to update it thru ethernet, but I am still getting the blinking white light and IP address errors.

I don't want to constantly factory reset when I need to reboot to save changes.

My router is in the attic crawl space and it is difficult to reach. 

When I plug my laptop into the router, I get internet, but not through wifi.

Wifi on the phones will keep trying to reconnect, on the PC it will say connected but no internet. When I try the troubleshoot, I get the error below.

Message 13 of 62
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Since you got the system updated, are the router and sats showing the same version? Is the router flashing white or the sats or both? Can you please list all the settings on the router "Internet" and "Wireless" web pages? 

You mentioned the router is in an attic crawl space, is this space climate controlled, i.e., air conditioned? If not, try bringing the router into a cooled space. The Orbi system is designed to run best at room temps.  

Message 14 of 62
rayjai
Guide

Yes, all the versions match now.

The router was blinking white after a reboot or if I unplug it. Everything works fine after a factory reset.

I'll try moving the router back down.

I just want to thank everyone trying to help me solve this issue.

Settings attached.

Message 15 of 62
rayjai
Guide

Message 16 of 62
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Sounds like your system has recovered. If you have still have issues try deselecting "Enable AX" from 2.4gHz band. Some have found this helps stabilize satellite communications. Glad we could help.

Message 17 of 62
rayjai
Guide

It happened again after I rebooted changing "enable ax" option. Is there a way to force the IPs to reset?
Message 18 of 62
raven_au
Virtuoso

@rayjai wrote:
It happened again after I rebooted changing "enable ax" option. Is there a way to force the IPs to reset?

No, the problem isn't the IPs needing to be reset.

It sounds like you are seeing a problem where the DHCP server on the router stops issuing addresses.

In my experience the problem shows up when you get a larger number of devices probably more than 40 or 50. I have around 80 now.

I don't know if your problem is actually the same as what I'm seeing but what I have done recently is below.

If you use a different server as the network DHCP server (for example a NAS that's always switched on) the problem disappears completely.

Recently I've changed the DHCP range on the Orbi to 2-249 because the Orbi satellites transition through having an IP address ending in 250 which means there's always a possibility of an IP address clash and that is bad for the network.

Then when I reboot and see the number of devices increase but then start falling and verify some of my devices can't get an IP  address I change the range to 2-248 and apply, then if things are still broken I change it back to 2-249 and apply and continue until all my devices are getting IP addresses ok again.

Message 19 of 62
rayjai
Guide

Your issue sounds very similar to mine. The only things I have running 24/7 are the smart switches.
Where do you go to change the settings you mentioned?
Message 20 of 62
raven_au
Virtuoso

@rayjai wrote:
Your issue sounds very similar to mine. The only things I have running 24/7 are the smart switches.
Where do you go to change the settings you mentioned?

I go to Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup.

The Field to look for is "Ending IP Address".

It should be obvious this restricts the range of addresses the DHCP server considers

it owns that it can use for clients.

Message 21 of 62
rayjai
Guide

Is it possible to have the routers on 192.168.1.xxx but my devices on 192.168.2.xxx?

Message 22 of 62
CrimpOn
Guru

@rayjai wrote:

Is it possible to have the routers on 192.168.1.xxx but my devices on 192.168.2.xxx?

Previous Orbi routers placed devices on the primary network and devices on the guest WiFi network in the same IP subnet.  I believe that the newer AX products place devices on the primary network in IP subnet and devices on the guest network in a separate IP subnet.  The typical subnets used are 192.168.1.x for the primary network and 192.168.2.x for the guest network.

(Someone please correct this if my impression is incorrect.)

Message 23 of 62
rayjai
Guide

It seems like all my devices and routers are on 192.168.1.xxx

every time I reboot, a conflict happens between the routers and devices.

Message 24 of 62
CrimpOn
Guru

@rayjai wrote:

It seems like all my devices and routers are on 192.168.1.xxx

every time I reboot, a conflict happens between the routers and devices.

Please explain what the conflict is.

Message 25 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 61 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7