Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Updated to 7.2, Satellite not

StevieDo
Tutor

Router Updated to 7.2, Satellite not

I updated my Orbi RBR750 to 7.2.6.21_5.0.20 manually after downloading ZIP. When I tried to update the satellite, it asks me to sign in and when I put in the admin credentials, the same screen keeps popping up and it won't allow me past it.

StevieDo_0-1694924803405.png

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

You sure you tried admin and "password"

Sounds like the RBS hasn't fully sync with the RBRs log in info which it should. 

Couple of options, 

Remove the RBS by factory resetting the RBS, then remove it from the RBRs web page. Select Generate for new backhaul password under advanced tab/advaced/wireless settings. Then try a re-sync with the RBS and RBRs add satellite feature.

Downgrade the RBR back to last v4 version of FW and see if the RBS will sync and you can log in long enough to send the v7 RBS FW file.

Or try the mentioned factory reset on the RBS with a wired PC connected to the back. Might turn OFF the RBR during this as to make sure the RBS doesn't connect. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try admin and password. 

Remember to update the RBS first before the RBR. 

Message 2 of 17
StevieDo
Tutor

Tried my admin password...didn't work. I already updated the router first. Should I roll it back ? What is best way to do that?
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya you can roll back. Have the RBR FW files for both v4 and v7 handy on your PC. 

You can try this as well with the RBS. Would need to have the RBR OFF for this or the RBS might connect which we don't wan't for this:

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. Or set a static IP address on the PC for 192.168.1.49. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites 📡 to the RBR. 

Message 4 of 17
StevieDo
Tutor

back my router firmware so now the router and satellite are the same version again. I then tried to update the satellite first and had the same problem on multiple browsers...it would not allow me to access the satellite admin site to apply the update because the connection was not private. If we resolve that issue, I think I would be able to update both. In Edge browser, I told it to allow insecure connections to the satellite admin site but it didn't work.

Side question...assuming I don't do anything to manually update the firmware on both, will the router login page (which oddly I CAN access) or the orbi app eventually say new firmware is available and properly update the router and satellite?

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

The browser should allow you to pass thru and allow for a not private connection. Browser should give you the option to by pass this. 

Try and use the RBRs web page to check for FW update for the RBS and see if it find it, if it does, then select Update All.

Message 6 of 17
StevieDo
Tutor

I agree, but I can't seem to get these browsers to do it. The RBR page does not indicate any firmware available for either, nor does the orbi app. Is this a normal delayed roll out, or is this process broken?

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Delayed. I know NG rolls new FW out in batches. 

Does using HTTPS:// at the front of the IP address of the RBS help any?

What platform are you using?  Windows or Mac

Message 8 of 17
StevieDo
Tutor

Still cannot get past this warning to update the satellite. Have tried a lot of browser settings and multiple browsers. Tried turning off anti virus as well. I can't be the only one with this issue.

StevieDo_0-1695779485375.png

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try admin and password for the password?

Does the RBS appear as connected and synced to the RBR on the RBRs web page?

Can try this to get the RBS updated: 

You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Or Set a static IP address of 192.168.1.49 on your PCs ethernet configuration. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites 📡 to the RBR. 

Seems your the only one at this point in time. Others have posted there systems and RBS updated properly.

Message 10 of 17
StevieDo
Tutor

Yes, I tried the username and password I use to login to the router. The RBS does appear on the router's page and works properly.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You sure you tried admin and "password"

Sounds like the RBS hasn't fully sync with the RBRs log in info which it should. 

Couple of options, 

Remove the RBS by factory resetting the RBS, then remove it from the RBRs web page. Select Generate for new backhaul password under advanced tab/advaced/wireless settings. Then try a re-sync with the RBS and RBRs add satellite feature.

Downgrade the RBR back to last v4 version of FW and see if the RBS will sync and you can log in long enough to send the v7 RBS FW file.

Or try the mentioned factory reset on the RBS with a wired PC connected to the back. Might turn OFF the RBR during this as to make sure the RBS doesn't connect. 

Message 12 of 17
StevieDo
Tutor

You are a genius...option 1 worked and I upgraded the firmware for both. Working great.

Now...how do I utilize the two new features I am interested in...ioT and I think a way to have hybrid WPA2 and 3 at same time?

Message 13 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, my goodness.  One would have hoped that Netgear would update the RBR750 User Manual to explain about how to set up the IoT network.  (sigh)

On the Orbi web interface, navigate to the Basic Tab, Wireless menu, and scroll down to the IoT section.

Security options are on the same page.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear glad you got it updated. 

IoT Networking info is here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064267/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-the-Internet-of-things-IoT-network-on-my...
https://kb.netgear.com/000064269/How-do-I-change-the-Internet-of-things-IoT-network-name-SSID-and-pa...

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@StevieDo wrote:

You are a genius...option 1 worked and I upgraded the firmware for both. Working great.

Now...how do I utilize the two new features I am interested in...ioT and I think a way to have hybrid WPA2 and 3 at same time?

Message 15 of 17
StevieDo
Tutor

Thanks again...I am sure I will be able to activate these functions. My question is more along the lines of SHOULD I activate them.

For ioT: How fast is that connection? What type of things should I put on that network (I assume thermostats...how about a TV or printer)

For the Security Protocol: Is it really that much more secure? How are reports of it in the field? If I turn it on, will all my devices still connect or could there be problems with legacy devices? If so, what do I do?

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats up to you. You'll need to figure out your needs and such. 

Being IoT and IoT generally don't need 1Gb speeds, I would presume wifi performances are best suited for IoT devices on the IoT network. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7