Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: So after switching to my orbit router, latest version, I cannot scan directly to NAS

pcullens
Aspirant

So after switching to my orbit router, latest version, I cannot scan directly to NAS

so just recently started having a problem scanning directly to my Synology NAS from my HP Laserjet Printer/Scanner.  Ever time I attempt to scan, the router logs this error:

[DoS attack: DoSPortScan] from source 80.94.92.22,port 57381 Thursday, Aug 03,2023 11:53:04

I am stumped.

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: So after switching to my orbit router, latest version, I cannot scan directly to NAS

What model Orbi system do you have? RBK###?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 17
pcullens
Aspirant

Multiple reboots have been done, in the correct order. I really wish ATT would allow their fiber modems to be out in actual real bridge mode. Will reach back out to Orbi tech support again. My older Linksys router did not have this problem, but it is not as advanced as this one.
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi system do you have? RBK###?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 4 of 17
pcullens
Aspirant

Firmware all current. I am thinking that since up pass through is really not bridge mode the ping from the printer is being blocked by the firewall on Orbi since it technically comes from the att gateway. Orbi views it as external traffic. Att equipment is the Nokia modem/gateway pos.
Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
Try option #2 first...

Message 6 of 17
pcullens
Aspirant

Yeah, this is what I determined. For some reason I can’t fathom, ATT does not allow their modems to be put in bridge mode. Very annoying. So option 2 is what I thought I had configured with Netgear support. Of course ATT says IP pass through is the same as bridge mode. Sorry, but it’s not, or it would be called bridge mode. Why do they need to be involved in my LAN? I pay them for a WAN pipe. Stay out of my local **bleep**.
Message 7 of 17
pcullens
Aspirant

Oh, let me add that both the printer/scanner and the nas drive are hard wired.
Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Been like that for a long time with ATT. 

Message 9 of 17

@pcullens wrote:
Firmware all current.

Not a reliable or helpful indicator when troubleshooting. It depends on how you check the firmware version.

People turn up here all the time mistakenly making the "latest firmware" claim.

The on-board check for new firmware is unreliable. It can miss updates, especially when you are a long way behind the latest. It can also be a while before updates hit the automated update servers.

The best way to check is to visit the support pages for your device and to look at the library of available updates.

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and look for firmware for your device.

The release notes should also tell you how to manually update the firmware.

Or read this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 10 of 17
pcullens
Aspirant

But why is that? What is the justification of doing anything other than provide their WAN to my residence? Their equipment from the LAN side is subpar.
Message 11 of 17

@pcullens wrote:
But why is that?

Why is what?

Message 12 of 17
pcullens
Aspirant

RBRE 960 is the model number, here is the latest shown on the download site:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065422/RBRE960-RBSE960-Firmware-Version-6-3-7-10

Here is what shows on the router status page:

V6.3.7.10_3.3.3

Message 13 of 17
pcullens
Aspirant

Why is it that ATT does not allow their gateway to be put in a true bridge mode?  Why do they not allow customer owned equipment on their network?  I am new to ATT Fiber, had cable before because all they offered in my area was DSL.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask them about. ATT been like that for years. Maybe some complexity of there stuff that doesn't allow for bridging of there hardware. 

There was some past historical posts where users were able to replace ATT gateway with a switch and then connect the RBR to the switch and eliminate ATT hardware. Not sure if this is the case with Fiber.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-AX-6000-and-AT-amp-T-fiber-gateway-issue/m-p/1890125/h...

Might ask them if there is just an ONT that you can connect the RBR to since you don't need there hardware. But they might require it. Something to ask them about. Most Fiber ONTs allow for external routers with out the ISP router.

Message 15 of 17

@pcullens wrote:

Why is it that ATT does not allow their gateway to be put in a true bridge mode?  Why do they not allow customer owned equipment on their network?

Excellent questions that only ATT can answer.

ISPs have different strategies, sometimes so that they can rent customers hardware and make more money out of them.

Their excuse may be that they don't want third party hardware messing up their systems.

In the case of BT in the UK – which insists on giving you, at  no charge, a modem router that does not allow bridge mode –  it seems to be because they don't want the hassle of supporting customers who think they know better. At least with BT I can buy my own modem. But such is the pressure on brands, that Netgear has effectively pulled out of the modem only market for DSL networks.

Message 16 of 17
pcullens
Aspirant

At this point I have tried everything, and no luck.  At least from a troubleshooting perspective, it would be nice to be able to go into bridge mode, but alas, ATT will not even allow that.  I am thinking of going to a factory reset and starting back with support and going step by step to fix this, as we did do something and the scan worked, but the netgear made another change and then it stopped working.  We have done so much I have lost track.  Would be nice if ATT could give a good reason on the whole "no bridge mode" thing instead of just saying ip pass through is the same thing, because it is not.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7