Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Speed Test

DNK1
Aspirant

Speed Test

I keep getting a "Connection Failed" warning when trying to test the internet speed while using my app.  Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, how do resolve the issue?  The app finds my router/satelites and the system appears to be working fine so I'm not sure why I can't check my speed.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway do you have the orbi connected to?

What firmware is on the orbi? 

I'd highly recommend against using the built in tool if you have speeds 500+mbps. It tends to not be accurate over those speeds. 

Message 2 of 9
DNK1
Aspirant

The modem is supplied by Spectrum and I don't see a model number anywhere on the unit.  It appears to have been assembled in Vietnam.  The Orbi firmware version is v3.2.16.22_1.4.9.  The download speed provided with my service is 400 mbps so, based upon you thoughts/response, it should have been reasonably accurate before.  The app used to mirror the speed results I recieved when directly connecting the modem to a laptop.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

so you have an RBK750 system. 

That'd be an orbi AX system. 

I think those have had issues with speedtests from the app for a while. 

For more info/help with orbi AX, I'd post in that forum and not the Nighthawk forum. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 4 of 9
microchip8
Master

Why people use crappy apps for testing is beyond my understanding. 

Message 5 of 9
DNK1
Aspirant

Thank you for the information.  I did check the forum previously but did not see anything addressing my issue.  I will look more closely at the postings.  I was not aware that it may not an isolated situation.  I don't know how accurate the testing was but at least it gave me a reference point for checking performance.  Do you know of a more accurate why to test wifi performance than Ookla?

Message 6 of 9
DNK1
Aspirant

I apologize for not responding to your question.  Yes, I have an RBK750 system and it is and Orbi AX. 

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit about post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you. 

@DNK1 wrote:

I apologize for not responding to your question.  Yes, I have an RBK750 system and it is and Orbi AX. 

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@microchip8 wrote:

Why people use crappy apps for testing is beyond my understanding. 

The App does only control the Orbi router hosted Speedtest client, read the results from the Orbi router, and shows them on the mobile. Not much wrong with this - except that NTGR's consumer BU has a long trace of breaking things thanks to the agile development processes, lack of testing, lack of QA. Not the first time they broke the Orbi or Nighthawk router hosted Speedtest or it's App API by the way. Oh some NTGR teams will be wake up again and confirm why they don't like to work with me 8-). Yes @YeZ I'm happy to play the bad guy role here.

Of course, the same test can be run using the Web UI.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7