Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The latest Orbi pains

psheld
Tutor

The latest Orbi pains

Problem 1.
When moving into the part of our house served by one of our two satellites, the wifi connection on my phone is just one of those spinning icons indicating connection is in progress. After more time than I want to remember, I have figured out that the ONLY way to connect to our home's wifi when this satellite is involved is to tell the device to forget the network and then enter the network password again to reconnect via this satellite. Joy.

Problem 2.
The Orbi App Network Map sometimes shows each satellite connected via CatV to the router and from there to the Internet, which is correct. And sometimes it shows one satellite connected to the other satellite via CatV and then the one satellite to the router via CatV and from there to the Internet. Which is incorrect.

I think this is likely a flaw in the app's software, but wondering it it might indicate a configuration problem?

Problem 3.

2015 MacBook thinks connecting to 2.4GHz is prefereable to 5GHz, despite the Orbi satellite being less than two metres away.

Any and all ideas to solve any one or all three problems most welcome!

___

Router RBR750 / 4.6.5.14

Satellites, both RBS750 / 4.6.5.14

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the suggestions mentioned. 

Again, CAT5 will be limiting...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@psheld wrote:

Problem 1.
When moving into the part of our house served by one of our two satellites, the wifi connection on my phone is just one of those spinning icons indicating connection is in progress. After more time than I want to remember, I have figured out that the ONLY way to connect to our home's wifi when this satellite is involved is to tell the device to forget the network and then enter the network password again to reconnect via this satellite. Joy.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Problem 2.
The Orbi App Network Map sometimes shows each satellite connected via CatV to the router and from there to the Internet, which is correct. And sometimes it shows one satellite connected to the other satellite via CatV and then the one satellite to the router via CatV and from there to the Internet. Which is incorrect.

How are the RBS connected to the RBR? Behind the RBR or is there a switch or LAN Patch panel in between the RBR and RBS? 

I think this is likely a flaw in the app's software, but wondering it it might indicate a configuration problem?
If your using CAT5 LAN cabling between the RBS and RBR, this will limit the connection rate as it only support 100Mpbs. CAT6 is recommended and supports 1000Mpbs connection rates. 

Problem 3.

2015 MacBook thinks connecting to 2.4GHz is prefereable to 5GHz, despite the Orbi satellite being less than two metres away.
What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Message 2 of 6
psheld
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38 🙂

Problem 1

In this instance, I'm sitting on the sofa and I have a direct line of sight to the router 4.5m away. The satellite backhaul to the router is over CatV.

I have only the vaguest idea what this means: "Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings" But I like a challenge and will find out.

Problem 2

As noted, both satellites connect to the router directly over CatV.

Absolutely nothing in between.

Might try and replace with CatVI in future, but not sure that's related to this problem.

Problem 3

Currently auto and 48.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the suggestions mentioned. 

Again, CAT5 will be limiting...

Message 4 of 6
psheld
Tutor

Problem 1

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings" 

I had the option of either "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" or "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings).
The former was selected. So I chose the latter.

The option "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings" was already selected. The UI included the words "CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): Preamble Mode, Transmit Power Control."

So while these did not map wholly to your guidance, for example no way to set Short Preamble, I saved the change.

Problem 2

This just stopped of its own accord. No upgrade or anything. It just sorted itself out I guess.

Problem 3

My laptop now connects over 5MHz. 🙂

____

So right now this seems to have fixed things, thank you @FURRYe38.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7