Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: sharing backhaul RBKE964

Dmag2
Tutor

sharing backhaul RBKE964

I plan to purchase the 960 Orbi system.  RBKE964. I plan to use the Ethernet backhaul with a 2.5G ports on the router and satellites and a 2.5G Ethernet switch.  I also have 3 Windows 11 PCs  in my home that have 2.5G Ethernet ports. So the question is: Can I share the Ethernet backhaul channel with the computers. The computers will be the only other devices on the network to share the backhaul channel.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

How are you planning on doing this? 

Reason I ask is I have a 8 port 2.5gig switch feeding my satellites and computers. 

It works fine without issues. 

I go RBKE--Switch----->satellites/devices 

Zero issues

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

NO however if you connect PCs to this switch, you they will get internet and networking services. The ethernet back haul is only between the RBR and RBS. It's just a small data line that flows between the RBR and RBS. Doesn't effect the switch or other devices connected to the switch. 

Message 2 of 6
Dmag2
Tutor

I think I understand your reply, my question may not have been specific enough.  I don't expect the PCs to be part of the backhaul. I just want them to behave on the network as though they were connected to the local network  and  not affect the backhaul.  The reason I ask this it that I have  and RBR50  with  multiple satellites. If I  connect other devices,  PCs, etc, to the same  port on the router that I use for my wired backhaul,  the backhaul does not connect  as wired.  I was hoping that I could take advantage of the  2.5G  local network between my PCs and  the internet . I have   multi-gig internet available to me  via my  service provider. It is a major expense to upgrade my cable modem , Ethernet switch, and mesh system to accommodate  this.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

IF thats happening when you connect other wired devices to the back of the RBR, then something is wrong here. Would need to be vetted to find out where the problem is. I've never had problems connecting other PCs or wired devices to the back of any Orbi series RBR causing the ethernet wired backhaul to fail to the RBS. 

Cabling and any LAN Switches would need to be checked. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Dmag2 wrote:

Can I share the Ethernet backhaul channel with the computers.

The way I read the Product Data Sheet, the 2.5G Ethernet port can be connected to anything:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBRE960/RBRE960_TS.pdf 

on page 2:

CrimpOn_0-1680992356355.png

If a 2.5G Ethernet switch is connected to this port, then computers and Orbi satellites can all share this 2.5G connection.

This is the same concept as connecting a gigabit switch to one of the gigabit ports and then connecting both user devices and satellites to the gigabit switch. (only faster and more costly).

I read the word "optional" to mean that wired backhaul is optional (no matter what port the satellite is connected to).

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

How are you planning on doing this? 

Reason I ask is I have a 8 port 2.5gig switch feeding my satellites and computers. 

It works fine without issues. 

I go RBKE--Switch----->satellites/devices 

Zero issues

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series