Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding secondary router

fatsister
Guide

Adding secondary router

I am needing WIFI in my shop which is 150' behind my house. 

My house has an Orbi39 router with two satellites but the signal is weak in the shop due to the inability to space the satellites appropriately.  I primarily use internet for streaming, cameras, etc. 

My thought is to add a router and run ethernet (thru conduit) to the shop for the second router.  I would want the new router to be the primary and the Orbi 39 to be in the shop. 

Number 1:  Is this feasible? 

Number 2: Which router would be compatible for this application?

Simple explanations are appreciated.

Nancie  AKA Fatsister

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@fatsister wrote:

I am needing WIFI in my shop which is 150' behind my house. 

My house has an Orbi39 router with two satellites but the signal is weak in the shop due to the inability to space the satellites appropriately.  I primarily use internet for streaming, cameras, etc. 

My thought is to add a router and run ethernet (thru conduit) to the shop for the second router.  I would want the new router to be the primary and the Orbi 39 to be in the shop. 

Number 1:  Is this feasible? Yes. 

Number 2: Which router would be compatible for this application? You could put in a RBS20, RBS40v or RBS50 ethernet connected to the RBR thats in the home. https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Or ethernet connect a EX7700 or 8000 extender in AP mode.

Simple explanations are appreciated.

Nancie  AKA Fatsister

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

as @FURRYe38 says, just use another satellite. 

It'll allow you the seamless roaming and probably be cheaper. You can pick up used satellites for fairly reasonable and it can be hardwired in and join the mesh without issues. 

That'd be the easiest way to set it up. 

Message 3 of 13
fatsister
Guide

My problem is, it's around 120' for access to electricity between the house and the shop.  Too far for my satellites to get a solid signal.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have power at this shop? 

Message 5 of 13
fatsister
Guide

Yes

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

If you've got power to the shop and can run an ethernet, the satellite option would be one of t he best options. 

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

ORBI39 appears to be the WiFi name that was assigned to the system at the factory.  (Many customers change the WiFi name to match the router that the Orbi is replacing so that they do not have to go around and reconfigure all their devices.)

The additional satellite needs to be compatible with the existing system.  I believe we are assuming that the name on the product label is RBR50.  If it is something different, then look for a satellite compatible with whatever it is.

Running an Ethernet cable is the #1 solution. Congratulations on being able to do so.  Many people come to the forum for solutions because the prospect of getting a conduit  to penetrate two buildings and cross 150ft of landscape would be very expensive.  There are solutions using pairs of radio units that would cost under $200.

Message 8 of 13
fatsister
Guide

Thanks for the additional information.

It will only cost the materials.  

Message 9 of 13
fatsister
Guide

Thanx

Message 10 of 13
fatsister
Guide

I guess I didn't realize I could hardwire a satellite....duh.

Thx

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru
fatsister
Guide

I got a refurbished RBR40 converted to a RBS40 satellite and cat5e cable to go with my RBR40 router. 

I can get the satellite connected to the router--> my app shows the satellite and router with a green dot. 

However, the satellite doesn't sync with anything.  My phone or TV don't find it. 

What setting am I missing to make this work?

Nancie

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7