Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BGW210 ATT Fiber

contenderv07
Aspirant

BGW210 ATT Fiber

Hey everyone, I just got an AC3000 and 2 satellites and I'm having some trouble getting connected. I informed ATT that I was moving from their wireless to the Orbi, and they said they would make changes. They told me to wait an hour and then to reboot. I have done that and the Orbi's still weren't working so I decided to log in to the router and take a look. It didn't seem like they did anything since passthrough was not enabled. I tried going through this thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-with-BGW210/m-p/1721982#M55705) to see if there was anything else I needed to do.

Are there any additional steps? or are all of them in the link above? Thanks again for any info

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Ensure you try one of the options listed since your ISP service HW has built in router:

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 20
contenderv07
Aspirant

thank you for the response.. I am on the latest firmware version (updated it with support). I have disabled all of the wifi radios on the ATT router. I'm at work but will check it out whne I get home. Thanks for the response!

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Latest being v2.5.1.8? Just making sure. 

Message 4 of 20
contenderv07
Aspirant

yes, thats correct. Just to get more context, I did take this pic when I was directly connected to the orbi router. I just found it strange that it would "see" the satellite (could get the MAC address), but not pull an IP for either, and label one of them as "unknown"

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset the entire system and setup from scratch one you determin what mode your ISP Modem/router will be working in and mode your RBR will be working in. Be sure your RBSs FW updated as well to same version. These should have been updated first, then the RBR lastly. 

Message 6 of 20
contenderv07
Aspirant

ok I had a little bit of time to look at the settings and it feels like someting on the ATT modem isn't set up correctly. When I go to the ATT mode, I'm going to 192.168.1.254. When I go to the orbi router, I have to go to 10.0.0.1. It would seem that the addresses aren't getting handed off correctly downstream. I will have all day tomorrow to work on it (my wife works from home and has forbade me from messing with it while she works LOL). That, or I will just try to get the modem like I had it, and reset all of the orbi gear and start over

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the reason the Orbi is using a 10 IP address string is that detected the ISP modem using the same 192.168.1.1 IP address string which normally Orbi used by default. So to avoid this, Orbi sets a different IP address string. This is ok, however again, your in a double NAT condition. Try one of the options suggested, I believe bridge mode isn't supported on ATT modems do I would start with Option #2...

Message 8 of 20
contenderv07
Aspirant

perfect thank you for that!! I'm making a list of things to check on the modem and when setting it to Passthrough mode, do I need to set it for Passthrough Fixed MAC (and put the orbi mac address in) or just set it to Passthrough DHCP Lease?

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try either one and see. Usually if you reserve an IP address for the Orbi ON the modem, then you would use this reserved IP address in the IP Pass-thru as this would be DHCP Lease I believe. Try the MAC address as the MAC never changes on Orbi. If this doesn't work, then use the IP address reserved for the RBR. 

Message 10 of 20
chiadisan
Aspirant

Hi,

I'll be setting up a friend's Orbi with AT&T gateway tomorrow. I have one also. I've seen so many variants re: setup on this site so, I'll keep this simple.

*My setup at home is the att gateway  BGW210 with WAP for U-VerseTV (IPTV). Orbi is plugged into gateway, of course, WAP is plugged into the gateway, works fine, never has any issues seen in other threads. orbi was always in Router mode. NO issues, other than TV stutters or freezes sometime, they all do *However, as a test, I did just leave the att gateway as-is and put the orbi into AP mode, all seems fine - though it was fine *before doing this.

Just looking a simple setup solution when doing my friend's same setup tomorrow. Am I missing a step re: gateway passthrough, etc?

Thanks!

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/IP-Passthrough-Orbi-RBK53-with-ATT-Gateway-Resulted-in-Half-th...

@chiadisan wrote:

Hi,

I'll be setting up a friend's Orbi with AT&T gateway tomorrow. I have one also. I've seen so many variants re: setup on this site so, I'll keep this simple.

*My setup at home is the att gateway  BGW210 with WAP for U-VerseTV (IPTV). Orbi is plugged into gateway, of course, WAP is plugged into the gateway, works fine, never has any issues seen in other threads. orbi was always in Router mode. NO issues, other than TV stutters or freezes sometime, they all do *However, as a test, I did just leave the att gateway as-is and put the orbi into AP mode, all seems fine - though it was fine *before doing this.

Just looking a simple setup solution when doing my friend's same setup tomorrow. Am I missing a step re: gateway passthrough, etc?

Thanks!

Message 12 of 20
chiadisan
Aspirant

Thanks,

I have the native Ookla speed test app. My fiber 300 is about 370 up and down (ethernet) and near 200+ on Orbi WiFI.

Changing the Orbi to AP from Router hasn't afected speed - or anything esle.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be good to go then. 

Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 20
chiadisan
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.

Odd that I never had any issues w/ Orbi as Router all this time.

I'll leave it in AP mode and do my friend's the same.

Appreciated!

JF

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 20
chiadisan
Aspirant

Really, the only difference now since switching orbi to AP mode is 192.168 addressing.

All Apple network here + TVs, I liked the Orbi handing out 10.0.1 addressing. Going to leave it in AP mode tonight and check for any TV freezes. Other than that, I'll assume I can set up my friends as I had it, Router mode/ WiFi SSIDs off/ 10.0.1 addressing...

Glad I found this thread.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can use the 10.0.1 addressing scheme. Main the Orbi may use that if it detects the main host router or modem having the same default 192.168.1.1 address, so Orbi auto changes it's IP address to 10.0.1.1. However you can use this number if you want to even if your main host router or modem doesn't use 192.168.1.1. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 20
chiadisan
Aspirant

Yes, that's what I ended up doing. This Orbi 3-pack was the samller model, and the firmwares mut've been very old,

Orbi pitche a fit*every step of the process.. a few reboots, new FW, got them to all to behave in 10.0./ Router mode. This Orbi really didn't want to behave. Don't know how a regualr customer would ust plug them in & use the iphone app! Sheesh.

Thanks for the help. *I'll probably revert mine back to router/ 10.0. as well.

Have a good weekend.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation