Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't remember security question answers for router (RBR50)

keithjake
Follower

Can't remember security question answers for router (RBR50)

I am trying to access my login screen of my Orbi via web browser.  Unfortunately, the 2 security questions are baffling to me.   

I believe I know my p/w into the router, but I do not recall the username (admin doesn't work). 

In a (now closed) thread, there were several options put forward 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Admin-password-reset-without-security-questions/td-p/1649952

However, I don't really see what to do there.  I know I can do a factory reset, but I don't want to go through the hassle of setting it up all over again!   

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't remember security question answers for router (RBR50)

Unfortunately you'll need to factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. This time be sure to write down all important information for safe keeping. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can't remember security question answers for router (RBR50)

@keithjake wrote:

I am trying to access my login screen of my Orbi via web browser.  Unfortunately, the 2 security questions are baffling to me.   

I believe I know my p/w into the router, but I do not recall the username (admin doesn't work). 

First, "admin" is always the user name for the Orbi web interface.  (There is a "hack" that can be used to change it using telnet, but there is absolutely no way it could have been changed from the web interface or the "app".)

When three invalid attempts are made in a row, Orbi pops up that Password Recovery screen.  I have used it, and it works.  HOWEVER, the first time I tried to use it failed becasue (in my opinion) I had failed to set the "answers" correctly. What I did the next time was deliberately click on the "down arrow" and select each question (even the top one).  Maybe this is just superstition, but after that every Password Recovery has worked correctly.

So, if your memory is correct, then"admin" and the password should work.  If not, and the Password Recovery process fails, you have no other choice. "Factory Reset" and configure from scratch.  This time, it might be a good idea to make a copy of the Orbi configuration. (Adtvanced Tab, Administration, Backukp Settings).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7