Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Canada Telus Router & Orbi RBK23

rcsmhkb
Aspirant

Canada Telus Router & Orbi RBK23

I'm in Canada and using Telus 750 fibre, when i install Orbi, i connect with lan cable to telus router. So my home has 2 router.  Telus router has assign ip 10.0.0.5 to Orbi. I have problem to login from outside network to my NAS or even using Teamviewer.  Is there any possible way i can login NAS & use Teamviewer and remain 2 router? Anyone can teach how to do the setting ? Tks and appreciate.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

It might be useful to call Telus and inquire about putting their equipment in bridge mode.  Earlier models of Telus routers had the capability.  Found this on Google:

https://cormang.com/2016/02/20/how-to-use-your-own-router-with-telus-optik-internet-by-enabling-brid...

Message 3 of 15
rcsmhkb
Aspirant

i have tried to changed telus router to bridge mode just now. the orbi router setting remain unchange but orbi still receive 10.0.0.5 as  the ip address. When i setup orbi before should alreday set as router mode.  Is there any other setting i need to do ? Tks.

Message 4 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

So, Telus showed you how to log into the router and change the mode?  Great!

It is probably necessary to restart both the Telus and the Orbi.  If Telus is really in bridge mode, the Orbi should get a "public" IP address.

Message 5 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Is telnet Client check-marked in "Programs & Features" under "Turn Windows features on or off"?

Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

oops.  Sorry. wrong post.  "My Bad"

Message 7 of 15
rcsmhkb
Aspirant

i can see the telus provide a public ip to orbi, but when i go to orbi setting, it still using 10.0.0.1 as ip address. pls see the photo to see if any clue to fix it.

Message 8 of 15
rcsmhkb
Aspirant

screen capture of orbi setting

Message 9 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, dear.  The Telus is "routing", not in bridge (or "pass thru") mode.  There are two "private" IP address spaces: 192.168.x.x and 10.0.x.x

The Orbi used DHCP  to ask, "what's my IP address", and the Telus said, "your IP is 192.168.1.65".  The Orbi said, "well, shucks, the 192.168 private address space is already in use, so I will assign all of MY devices addresses in the 10.0 space."

Since you are able to log into the Telus router, maybe there is a menu setting to put it into bridge mode.

The other option is to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode, and find some way to get the Telus to support TeamViewer.

Message 10 of 15

@CrimpOn wrote:

It is probably necessary to restart both the Telus and the Orbi.  If Telus is really in bridge mode, the Orbi should get a "public" IP address.

And you have to restart things in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

It may help to reset the RBR20, the RBK23's router, before doing this.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You man manually change that IP address to what ever you like, so if you want to use 192.168.1.1 you can manually change it to that IP address. I recommend changing the pool size to 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200. 

Should be found under Advanced Tab/Setup/LAN setup. 

@rcsmhkb wrote:

i can see the telus provide a public ip to orbi, but when i go to orbi setting, it still using 10.0.0.1 as ip address. pls see the photo to see if any clue to fix it.

Message 12 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi was given IP address 192.168.1.65 by the Telus router, which means that the Telus is using DHCP to assign addresses in the 192.168.1.x range.  Since the goal is to get TeamViewer working, perhaps the task at hand is to get rid of the "double NAT" situation.  Although Telus gave instructions for putting the Telus into bridge mode, it appears that it remains a router.

I have no idea what TeamViewer requires from a router to operate correctly, but it is pretty clear that one of the devices needs to quit being a router.

Given that the Telus remains a router, my next step would be to put the Orbi into AP mode and see if that permits TeamViewer to work.  If that is successful, then the question is whether the Telus router functions are "enough" or if there is reason to return the Orbi to working as a router and try again to put the Telus into bridge mode.  This test requires nothing of Telus support and can be done (relatively) quickly.

If TeamView still does not work, then there is some router setting that is required, and the next step is to (a) figure out what it is, and (b) determine whether the Telus or the Orbi can be set up to handle it.

Message 13 of 15
rcsmhkb
Aspirant

Oh...Tks everyone... i dont know what's going on with my telus router, i cant load the setup page of telus router with http://192.168.1.254.  I tried to power off all teleus router and orbi router, but still orbi using 10.0.0.5. Is there any way to get into the setup telus router ? tks.

Message 14 of 15

@rcsmhkb wrote:

Oh...Tks everyone... i dont know what's going on with my telus router, i cant load the setup page of telus router with http://192.168.1.254

What happens when you try?

Are you connecting directly to the Telus box?

It is usually easier to isolate the modem/router and to work with that and no other network connections.

Plug PC into modem/router and take it from there.

Set up modem/router as you want, and then rebuild your network with the Orbi.

If you cannot get the modem/router into bridge (Modem only) mode, then do that same thing with the Orbi. Isolate it from the network. Put it into AP mode and then add The Orbi to the network.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7