× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failing router RBR50

flutterby71
Aspirant

Failing router RBR50

I am new here and hope someone can help me with deciding what I should use as a replacement for my failing router. We have had everything checked by the cable company and they replaced the modum. Our TV keeps buffering and then will shut down all systems. Rebooting helps for a while then it happens again. My real problem is we have 3 Orbi voice extenders RB540V and need to replace the orginial router with something compatible with the extenders. I am somewhat computer savy but just can't pinpoint the direction to a new router. The 3 voice extenders where purchased at least a year after the router was purchased. Please help!

If more infomation is needed let me know.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Failing router RBR50

There  may be things people on the forum can suggest to avoid replacing the router.

The RBS50V (S for satellite) is compatible with any brand of WiFi router in extender mode (not Orbi satellite mode. It is not even compatible with the newer Orbi routers in satellite mode).

An easy fix would be to pick up a used RBR50 from eBay. Completely compatible with the RBS50V units.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

There  may be things people on the forum can suggest to avoid replacing the router.

The RBS50V (S for satellite) is compatible with any brand of WiFi router in extender mode (not Orbi satellite mode. It is not even compatible with the newer Orbi routers in satellite mode).

An easy fix would be to pick up a used RBR50 from eBay. Completely compatible with the RBS50V units.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Maybe the router isn't failing. @CrimpOn and @FURRYe38 are pretty good with orbi devices. 

Maybe its a setup or firmware issue. But we'd needed details to help. 

1. what orbi router do you have? 

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. what satellites do you have attached (all of then, and firmware versions on each)

4. what modem/gateway are you connected to? 

5. how big is your home? 

6. what are the interior walls made of?

7. how far apart is the router/satellites from each other? 

8. Details on the issues. Not just buffering but details of your speeds you pay for, how often the issue happens, does it happen to all devices, just wireless devices, does it happen to wired, etc. The more you tell us/them, the better they can help. 

Message 3 of 4
flutterby71
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. Found a refurbished one on Ebay at less then half the price of a new one. 

Flutterby

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7