Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How can I see add-on satellite in Orbi app?

RiverCityNet
Aspirant

How can I see add-on satellite in Orbi app?

I’m using an Orbi system with router + 3 satellites (2 that came with the system + 1 add-on) to cover a large 2-story house with VERY thick walls.

Right now, the network is configured like this:

Cable modem/router > Port 1 > RBR50 (via ethernet)

+ 2 RBS50 (wireless daisychain)

Cable modem/router >  Port 2  > RBS40 (via ethernet)

It works fine, except the app always shows the satellite connected to the second ethernet port as being offline and not having any clients connected to it (even though it does).

I’m wondering if putting everything on one port would make any difference. Because of structural limitations, I can’t physically wire the add-on satellite “behind” the Orbi router, but I could install my own switch so everything would be running off one port of the cable router, like this:

Cable modem/router  > Port 1 > NEW switch >>>

>>> [NEW switch] > Port 1 > RBR50 (via ethernet )

>>> [NEW switch] > Port 2 > RBS40 (via ethernet)

What do you think of this idea?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Adding a switch does not change the configuration.  The Orbi router expects that satellites will be connected to one of the router LAN ports, not connected through the WAN port.

It appears from the term "structural limitations" that the Orbi router is not located next to the cable modem/router.  My first thought would be to connect the add-on satellite using WiFi.  Second would be to run an ethernet cable from one of the original devices.

Sorry not to be more positive.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Adding a switch does not change the configuration.  The Orbi router expects that satellites will be connected to one of the router LAN ports, not connected through the WAN port.

It appears from the term "structural limitations" that the Orbi router is not located next to the cable modem/router.  My first thought would be to connect the add-on satellite using WiFi.  Second would be to run an ethernet cable from one of the original devices.

Sorry not to be more positive.

Message 2 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@RiverCityNet wrote:

Cable modem/router > Port 1 > RBR50 (via ethernet) + 2 RBS50 (wireless daisychain)

Cable modem/router >  Port 2  > RBS40 (via ethernet)

It works fine, except the app always shows the satellite connected to the second ethernet port as being offline and not having any clients connected to it (even though it does).

Cable modem/router  > Port 1 > NEW switch >>>

>>> [NEW switch] > Port 1 > RBR50 (via ethernet )

>>> [NEW switch] > Port 2 > RBS40 (via ethernet)

What do you think of this idea?

You cannot connect a satellite to the cable modem router and expect it to show up in the app or GUI or even work correctly. Move the wired connection to the RBS40 to the Orbi router. So Port 1 > RBR50 (via ethernet) + 2 RBS50 (wireless daisychain) and 1 RBS40 (via ethernet port 1 of Orbi router)

Message 3 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@Mstrbig wrote:

You cannot connect a satellite to the cable modem router and expect it to show up in the app or GUI or even work correctly. Move the wired connection to the RBS40 to the Orbi router. So Port 1 > RBR50 (via ethernet) + 2 RBS50 (wireless daisychain) and 1 RBS40 (via ethernet port 1 of Orbi router)

Adding to this, if it is impossible to connect the RBS40 to the RBR50, then as stated your other option is to connect it via WIFI backhaul. Of cours it will matter how far the RBS40 is from the RBR50 router or closest satellite <-(using daisychaining). Yor second scenario will not change anything, as the RBS40 will still be connected to the ISP modem via switch.

Message 4 of 5
RiverCityNet
Aspirant

Thanks to all for confirming that this won't work unless the satellite is behind the Orbi router. That's what I figured, but I rely on the wisdom of this (very knowledgeable) crowd.

(Extra big ups to @CrimpOn for the fast response!)

🙏

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7