Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet/Certificate issues after firmware update on RBR50

ck1881
Aspirant

Internet/Certificate issues after firmware update on RBR50

The details:

I have an Orbi RBR50 with one RBS50 satelite - I have had these installed for about 18 months with little to no issues.

Yesterday when working on some things around the house I noticed the Orbi wanted to do an update, like a fool I allowed it.

Since it updated to 2.5.2.4 yesterday I have noticed some serious internet issues.

1. My internet connection on cell phones is dropping in and out showing a connection with 'no internet connection'... however if you try to go online it still seems to go sometimes. Amazon smart switches, wireless cameras, roku devices, and even laptops have not had any of these issues - but both cell phones in the house are experiencing the same issue.

2. When browsing to ANY site I am getting the Certificate Error that is well known in the orbi forums. This is NOT only happening when going directly to routerlogin.net but erroring when going to other sites such as espn.com - though looking at the error details that come up when directing to espn.com till show the certificate error coming due to a connection to routerlogin.net.

I have looked through the forums trying to self solve since it seems like this has been a pretty regular issue for people over the last year, but since my certificate problem wasnt just happening when directly to the router, and since both phones are showing this internet connection error I thought I would reach out to see if anyone had a solution to try to get to the end as quickly as possible.

Thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
BeekeeperIan
Aspirant

Re: Internet/Certificate issues after firmware update on RBR50

I am one of many customerd who have similar Certificate Errors, see this link 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Error-Trust-anchor-for-certification-pat... 

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@ck1881 wrote:

I have looked through the forums trying to self solve since it seems like this has been a pretty regular issue for people over the last year, but since my certificate problem wasnt just happening when directly to the router, and since both phones are showing this internet connection error I thought I would reach out to see if anyone had a solution to try to get to the end as quickly as possible.

Probably a good idea to continue browsing any post that has "2.5.2.4" in the title or contents.

There are two "more recent firmware releases for the RBK50 set: 2.6.1.40 and 2.7.1.60 (US only).  I have not personally installed any of these.  I simply ignore the notice "New Firmware Available".  Either of those newer version may have cured the problems you are experiencing. Or......

The other "guaranteed" solution is to manually load firmware 2.5.1.16 on the Orbi router and satellites. (satellites first).

https://kb.netgear.com/000061838/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-16 

Message 3 of 11
TheRealNavigat0
Aspirant

RBR/S50 pair currently running v2.5.2.4 (obviously out of warranty support)

@CrimpOn @ck1881 @farmboy3000 

Just wanted to add on to the idea of manually updating to one of the later firmwares (2.6.1.40 and 2.7.1.60) that attempting to update my satellite results in a server error 400 and I'm unable to update my satellite manually.  As many (and the manuals state) SATELLITES FIRST!  If this is a requirement I'm truly in a hole until Netgear decides to publish a one of the newer versions for managed upgrade, as my recent update to version 2.5.2.4 has introduced the infamous untrusted certificate issue for all of my internet bound WiFi clients and I have no way to up/downgrade my setup manually.

• I've already verified none of my attached devices are blocked
  • I've already disabled secure address in iOS 14.x
  • I've already done factory reset, reset+restore config, and have come to the conclusion that the certificate issue is baked into the firmware (I suspect with a little DNS spoofing/ trickery to pull off the "easy login"). 
  • I have too many security concerns and too many PC's and browsers to make this exception considering Netgear's continued failure to manage their PKI like an enterprise.

Does anyone have any solid advice for a seasoned user who, admittedly, apparently chose the wrong product?  (Bird to TheWirecutter) 

My last resort would be to upgrade/ downgrade the router first, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner - though at the moment the situation couldn't be much worse, and I'm about ready to just buy a real mesh WiFi system.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the RBR to update RBS FW or logging into the RBS web page and sending the FW file directly there? Use a wired PC?

I have loaded my RBS50 with v60 and didn't see any problems. I did use the RBS web page to send the FW file. 

I think I used MS Edge to send the FW file. Thought FF or Opera should work as well. Be sure to clear all browser caches before entering the web page. Be sure your unpacking the .zip file. 

I did downgrade back to v16 from v60 as I found problems with recent FW after v16. 

@TheRealNavigat0 wrote:

Just wanted to add on to the idea of manually updating to one of the later firmwares (2.6.1.40 and 2.7.1.60) that attempting to update my satellite results in a server error 400 and I'm unable to update my satellite manually.  As many (and the manuals state) SATELLITES FIRST!  If this is a requirement I'm truly in a hole until Netgear decides to publish a one of the newer versions for managed upgrade, as my recent update to version 2.5.2.4 has introduced the infamous untrusted certificate issue for all of my internet bound WiFi clients and I have no way to up/downgrade my setup manually.

• I've already verified none of my attached devices are blocked
  • I've already disabled secure address in iOS 14.x
  • I've already done factory reset, reset+restore config, and have come to the conclusion that the certificate issue is baked into the firmware (I suspect with a little DNS spoofing/ trickery to pull off the "easy login"). 
  • I have too many security concerns and too many PC's and browsers to make this exception considering Netgear's continued failure to manage their PKI like an enterprise.

Does anyone have any solid advice for a seasoned user who, admittedly, apparently chose the wrong product?  (Bird to TheWirecutter) 

My last resort would be to upgrade/ downgrade the router first, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner - though at the moment the situation couldn't be much worse, and I'm about ready to just buy a real mesh WiFi system.

Message 5 of 11
TheRealNavigat0
Aspirant

I was attempting to update the RBS via the RBR UI.  I used multiple browsers on multiple systems (all but one were virgin to Orbi UI) - all were wired because the WiFi was knackered.

To be honest - I'd never actually tried connecting directly to the RBS - didn't even know there was a GUI there.  When you say v16 are you referring to:

Can you share any details on some of the issues you faced on versions later than the above?

I'm definitely unpacking the .img from the ZIP 😉

Thanks for the quick response!

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@TheRealNavigat0 wrote:

I was attempting to update the RBS via the RBR UI.  I used multiple browsers on multiple systems (all but one were virgin to Orbi UI) - all were wired because the WiFi was knackered.

To be honest - I'd never actually tried connecting directly to the RBS - didn't even know there was a GUI there. 

You can send FW directly using the RBS web page. Look at the RBRs connected devices page and find the IP address for the 1 RBS. Use this IP address to log into the RBS web page and send the file there.

When you say v16 are you referring to:

Yes.

Can you share any details on some of the issues you faced on versions later than the above?

Later versions of FW cause ARP storms with RBS ethernet connected to the RBR. 

I'm definitely unpacking the .img from the ZIP 😉

Thanks for the quick response!

Message 7 of 11
TheRealNavigat0
Aspirant

Thanks for the info on the ARP storms - I am using an Ethernet backhaul.  I'll give v16 a try tonight - if in fact I can manually update via teh RBS UI without failure.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, I use ethernet backhaul as well. I first encountered the ARP storm on V4, tested all the other recent versions and problem is still there. V16 doesn't have this issue. 

I let NG know about it too. 

Message 9 of 11
TheRealNavigat0
Aspirant

Well using 2 computers and 3 different browsers each, I have been unsuccessful in downgrading the RBS to v2.5.1.16.  I get as far is it uploading, asking me to confirm installing the older version and then it Pops up the window as if it's performing the update.  It spins, and spins...and spins but to no avail.  It never reports completing and the version remains at 2.5.2.4.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this to push v16:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

@TheRealNavigat0 wrote:

Well using 2 computers and 3 different browsers each, I have been unsuccessful in downgrading the RBS to v2.5.1.16.  I get as far is it uploading, asking me to confirm installing the older version and then it Pops up the window as if it's performing the update.  It spins, and spins...and spins but to no avail.  It never reports completing and the version remains at 2.5.2.4.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7