Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lan Connection Dropping

Honjebee
Aspirant

Lan Connection Dropping

Hi

Over the last month or so, the LAN connection to the satellite have been dropping briefly (perhaps 2 or 3 times per day and the connection will come back within a few seconds).  I've confirmed it to be the RBS50 having plugged 3 separate computers in to different ports and all lose connection at the same time.  There's no restart and the backhaul to the RBR50 router appears to be stable also. 

The firmware (was) 2.5.2.4 and I tried manually updating it to 2.6.1.40.  This appeared stable for a day but resumed normal disconnecting service. 

I've now downgraded the satellite to 2.5.1.16 which I believe it would have been running back when this didn't occur and will continue to monitor but was hoping anyone might have come across this.  I've not found any community posts about this kind of thing that have occurred any time recently.

thanks in advance

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Lan Connection Dropping

Ar

@Honjebee wrote:

Hi

..I've now downgraded the satellite to 2.5.1.16 which I believe it would have been running back when this didn't occur and will continue to monitor but was hoping anyone might have come across this.  I've not found any community posts about this kind of thing that have occurred any time recently.

Is it behaving OK on 2.5.1.16?

If the only change to firmware makes the issue appear/dissappear, then thats the prime suspect.

There's a 2.7.1.60 on the download page. And an even newer one that some people are able to get from their router setup web page (or Orbi app).  Do a factory reset after changing the firmware and set up the router and satellite from scratch.

(I am not using the ethernet ports on my satellite, so I cannot comment on this happening for my setup.)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update and after applying recent versions of FW?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 14
Honjebee
Aspirant

I did a manual reset (pin in the hole) of the RBS50 but not the RBR50 itself however I'm only having issue with the satellite acting essentially as a LAN switch.

They sit around 25ft apart with a floor and wall between them but the connection between them has always been pretty solid as has any devices connecting wireless (to either).  Neighbours are far enough away as to not cause any interference.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

When doing a factory reset, BOTH RBS AND RBR should be reset. 

Hopefully v16 will be ok then. 

Message 4 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

Ar

@Honjebee wrote:

Hi

..I've now downgraded the satellite to 2.5.1.16 which I believe it would have been running back when this didn't occur and will continue to monitor but was hoping anyone might have come across this.  I've not found any community posts about this kind of thing that have occurred any time recently.

Is it behaving OK on 2.5.1.16?

If the only change to firmware makes the issue appear/dissappear, then thats the prime suspect.

There's a 2.7.1.60 on the download page. And an even newer one that some people are able to get from their router setup web page (or Orbi app).  Do a factory reset after changing the firmware and set up the router and satellite from scratch.

(I am not using the ethernet ports on my satellite, so I cannot comment on this happening for my setup.)

Message 5 of 14
Honjebee
Aspirant

Thanks both of you.

I only tried 2.5.1.16 today so I'll give it a good few days and see before I can gauge that.

The 2.7.1.60 appear to be US Region only so I ignored that.  Oddly, 2.6.1.40 didn't even show up when checking within the web interface, I had to find that manually but sadly didn't resolve it.

I'll do a reset of both but it would seem odd to need to reset the router when this is purely LAN ports on the satellite, however I'm will to try anything, especially as it's 1 month out of warranty 😉

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

v2.7 version are for USA regional users only. 

Message 7 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

To the OP: Ooops! I did not catch that you were not in US region.

Message 8 of 14
Honjebee
Aspirant

Well unfortunately a factory reset hasn't helped. Also updated manually to the latest version and reset again but the same issue and when it occurs, the backhaul drops to 2.4G poor from 5G good.

Looks like I'm either buying a new mesh or a pci-e Wireless NIC for my PC 😞

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the RBS out at a farther distance? 

@Honjebee wrote:

I did a manual reset (pin in the hole) of the RBS50 but not the RBR50 itself however I'm only having issue with the satellite acting essentially as a LAN switch.

They sit around 25ft apart with a floor and wall between them but the connection between them has always been pretty solid as has any devices connecting wireless (to either).  Neighbours are far enough away as to not cause any interference.

Message 10 of 14
Honjebee
Aspirant

I'm not sure I understand how moving the satellite farther from the router would help with the ethernet connection dropping since we're not talking about anything wireless related here.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

"the backhaul drops to 2.4G poor from 5G good" So this isn't working? 

Message 12 of 14
Honjebee
Aspirant

Just wanted to drop in a quick thanks to those involved.  After an initial couple of drops immediately after the update/reset, the connection has been stable ever since.  Odd that it occurred initially and I'm not 100% confident just yet but given the frequency it was previously happening, I'd say it looks like we've cracked it 🙂

Message 13 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

Good to know.

The satellite takes a while to establish the Wireless connection w the base and settle down.  Maybe attaching a powerline adapter to it was confusing the setup process before it got done.  Still, very odd behavior for it to switch backhaul and drop connections.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7