Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mixed Lan with orbi AC3000

pierre22
Aspirant

Mixed Lan with orbi AC3000

I have the following product Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router (RBR50) and I would like to create a mixed local area network using a network switch to connect devices such as pc, smart tv, printer and dvr, such as switch, with at least 6 ports; and which network cable do you recommend since I should upgrade to fiber?

What do I need to wire such a network in a three-story house by passing the cables through the existing light conduits?

Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBK53) #lan 

IMG_0449 (1).jpeg

Message 1 of 103

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Those will work find until your ready to upgrade. 

I recommend getting the non (E) versions of the switches. 

I found a bit cheaper pricing by getting used or refurb'd equipment. 

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Message 32 of 103

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

As long as the RBS gets connected to the back of the RBR, with a non managed switch in between, your good there.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

If you have in wall lan cabling, these just need to be connected to this switch as well. 

NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series 8 and 24 port switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 2 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

I wanted to ask what type of cable and switch I need, the tools and any since I would have to wire the house.

Message 3 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 4 of 103
CrimpOn
Guru

@pierre22 wrote:

I wanted to ask what type of cable and switch I need, the tools and any since I would have to wire the house.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but.........

The forum has posts every week which point to in-wall cabling being responsible for serious issues.  I recommend starting with an internet search for "how to install cat6 cable in house", and read at least 10 articles.

What can be obvious and nearly trivial to a professional installer can overwhelm a beginner.  Cat6 is indeed the recommended cable these days,  but it is a real frustration to install.  That plastic spine used to separate the four twisted pairs makes Cat6 cable hard to bend.  (Kinking the cable can harm performance terribly.)  Terminating the wall jacks is not trivial.  Be prepared to cut off and discard the first half-dozen jacks.  Consumers also do not have access to professional testing tools.  The inexpensive cable tester from Home Depot simply verifies that each of the 8 wires on one and are connected at the other end. It does not verify that  performance meets expected standards.

I serious recommend calling out an professional telecom installer to talk over your options.  Perhaps there is part of the work you can do yourself.

Good Luck

Message 5 of 103
schumaku
Guru

@pierre22 wrote:

What do I need to wire such a network in a three-story house by passing the cables through the existing light conduits?

You need to find a compromise between the available space in the installation pipes, cable quality, fire protection in the electrical installation (legal requirements). 

Message 6 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

I have the option of using the trunking of the telephone sockets, in this case which cable do you recommend?

Message 7 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 8 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

If I want to create a rack, what do I need?

Message 9 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

A rack? 

For? 

Message 10 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

In addition to the switch, I would also install a network disk in the rack to share data, as well as allowing me to extend the wifi signal to places where it doesn't reach.

Or is the switch enough?

Message 11 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try out and see. 

Message 12 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

In what sense?

I'm new to networking and wanted to figure out what's the best choice for extending my network and wifi signal by sharing data and a printer.

Message 13 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

Hello, I would like to buy the netgear gs 308v3 switch to connect to the router and I would need another 5 port switch to connect to the gs308v3.
Which do you recommend?
Browsing on Amazon I noticed that there are two versions gs308 and ge308e, what is the difference?

Message 14 of 103
CrimpOn
Guru

@pierre22 wrote:

Browsing on Amazon I noticed that there are two versions gs308 and ge308e, what is the difference?

Enter GS308 on this page: https://www.netgear.com/support/  and it will display nine different models of the GS308.

The base model is listed as End of Life.  It is  totally unmanaged (but great as a switch)

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS308/UnmanagedSwitches300_DS_24Apr14.pdf 

The GS308e is a managed switch, supporting VLANs and other features.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/GS305E_GS308E_DS.pdf 

Message 15 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

Is it a good switch to create a LAN at home?
Which 5-port switch do you recommend to connect to the aforementioned switch?

Message 16 of 103
CrimpOn
Guru

Unless physical space is an absolute deal breaker, the 5 port model of this switch costs $1 more than the 8 port model (Amazon).  

Message 17 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

I have to connect the 8-port switch to the router, as 6 LAN cables will arrive while I have to connect the 5-port switch to one of the cables where I have to connect 3 devices (dvr, smart TV and a box)

Message 18 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

Which switches (one with 8 ports and one with 5) do you recommend for cabling the network?

Message 19 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

Who will cable my network told me that he will pass a UTP cable inside the electrical outlets, is that ok or should I ask him to pass a shielded cable?

Message 20 of 103
FURRYe38
Guru

NGs GS series GS-105/108 work well with Orbi

Message 21 of 103
pierre22
Aspirant

I was looking at the gs305/308.

Message 22 of 103
FURRYe38