Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Computer Wifi

Mstrbig
Master

@Nova17 wrote:

I'm at step one.  I factory reset the ISP gateway.  Restarted the PC.  I have the ethernet hardwired from the ISP gateway to the PC.

I have good news and bad news.  It appears that the 5GHz issue is resolved based on the attached picture.  The ISP gateway shows a 5G wifi connection.  I am logged into the ISP gateway over ethernet at 10.0.0.1.

Physical addresses match. 

Bad news, connected to wifi, but no internet.

Even with the Orbi out of the picture, the problem persists.

If the problemn exists connected directly to the ISP router, youve definitely eliminated problems with your Orbi.

Are you getting any internet connected through the router wired? 

I ran a ping test on your 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 DNS servers and they passed.

You are connecting to the WIFI network, but the network is not accessing the net. That would be a router internet configuration problem. 

Under your router internet settings, make sure you have the router obtaining an IP address from your ISP. It appears the DNS servers 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76 are obtained correctly, but maybe your router is not obtaining an Internet IP address automatically. 

I suggest getting with your ISP or searching the net for the proper router setup for your model.

Message 51 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Blazing fast internet via wired connection.  Capped at 233mbps. 

I am thinking more and more it has something to do with the PC itself.  No other device in the home is having the slightest issue.  This is the only machine with a wifi connectivity issue.  I will see what other info is available on the web now that I've ruled out the Orbi.  I'm going on two weeks of troubleshooting, yippie!.

Thank you for the suggestions and responsiveness.

Message 52 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

I don't want to jump the gun here...but I think I figured it out.  After searching the web regarding my motherboard wifi, it appears simply changing a wifi configuration setting was all it took.  If so, I'm going to take a cold shower and drink some wine.

Pic attached of the change from 802.11n/ac from ac to n.  I feel both stupid and smarter at the same time.

I am about to reconfigure the Orbi since I (needlessly) factory reset it.  Fingers crossed!

Message 53 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

I hope you fixed it. I know how frustrating it can be. 

But it's good to talk it out and read all the suggestions, no mater how bizzare they may sound. I find it stimulates the brain and kaboom the solution surfaces.

Message 54 of 56
Nova17
Aspirant

Back upstairs and running on the Orbi wifi with no issues!

One little wifi adapter setting was all it took after 2 weeks.  ! thank you all for helping me narrow down that it was not an Orbi or ISP gateway issue!

Many thanks!

Message 55 of 56
Mstrbig
Master

GREAT to hear! Now enjoy!

Unfortunately Orbi and other brand WIFI mesh systems take the blame. But since these manufacturers take so much time in making their products plug and play, the reality is they are not usually at fault. More times it is a setup or configuration problem. I'm familiar with most brands and I will say the Netgear Orbi is right at the top when it comes to easy setup. Other brands are right behind. Just following the setup instructions usually reults in a successful install.

Message 56 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7