Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBS50 Satellite

Stallion69
Tutor

ORBI RBS50 Satellite

One of my satelittes keeps pulsating white and will not stop.  I disconnected it for a week because i was remodelling my office.  I rehooked it up and it won't go online.  I have both satelittes hooked up with ethernet wire back to the RBR50 router.  Only one satelitte shows online.  I tried to reset and sync the satelitte and still no luck.  Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Are the RBS directly connected behind the RBR or is there a ethernet switch in between? 

Try swapping locations around with the other working RBS to see of the one will work there...see of the working one does same thing at other location.

Message 2 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

I am currently running Firmware V 2.7.0.70.
I have both satellites hardwired directly to the back of the RBR50 router. Ran fine for over two years. Now one RBS satellite will not connect.
I will try to swap them and see if that does anything.
Message 3 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Please downgrade to v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

I foudn that v2.6/.7 versions of FW cause problems when RBS are ethernet connected. 

Message 4 of 26
vajim
Master

...and?

Message 5 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

I will try swapping them and let you know. Weird why I have to downgrade firmware. Isn’t the whole point of upgrading firmware is to make the product run better?
Message 6 of 26
vajim
Master

In this case you were probably better off to NOT upgrade.  Many of the FW versions have been and continue to be NOT ready for prime time.  Use at your own risk.

Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Upgrades are appart of the process. Just sometimes problems are introduced in newer updates. I let NG support know about the problems found in the recent version of FW.

@Stallion69 wrote:
I will try swapping them and let you know. Weird why I have to downgrade firmware. Isn’t the whole point of upgrading firmware is to make the product run better?

Message 8 of 26
vajim
Master

what process would that be?...sometimes..??

Message 9 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

I swapped the satellites and still the same issue.  Pulsating white light on one of them and the other connect very fast. 

When i go into the ORBI Router Configuration, Bedroom Satellite is fine with the ORBI satellite image, but the one that keeps pulsating white has a different image. Why is it showing a Linux operating symbol???  Could this be the problem?

Orbi.PNG

Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

So did the problem follow the one RBS after you swapped? 

Try manually loading FW on to the one RBS using a wired PC, after it's loaded, factory reset and re-add it. Remove it from the RBRs web page first. Then re-sync. 

@Stallion69 wrote:

I swapped the satellites and still the same issue.  Pulsating white light on one of them and the other connect very fast. 

When i go into the ORBI Router Configuration, Bedroom Satellite is fine with the ORBI satellite image, but the one that keeps pulsating white has a different image. Why is it showing a Linux operating symbol???  Could this be the problem?

Orbi.PNG

Message 11 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

It won’t allow me to manually load the FW to the defective satellite. I loaded the lower version of the FW to the router and the good satellite. I am out of ideas. I think the satellite is defective. Very annoying.
Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Someting to ask NG support about to see what your options are. IF you can't get it loaded with FW, then it may need to be replaced. 

Message 13 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

For some miraculous reason, the satellite finally connected after 24 hours of leaving it on.  Day later, the other satellite experienced the same problem. UGH!!!  Now both are are line.  I still have issues trying to connect to the ORBI Router via the Orbi App.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. "Router not Supported" - "The orbi app doesn't support your router model."  But when i connect with "Anywhere access" it works.  ALso, when on the ORBI WIFI, after a short time you can't browsae the wen no more, and all my Alexa devices go offline.  SOmething weird is happening and i don't know what it is.  SHOuld i reboot the entire system and start from scratch and set up as a new system?

From Orbi App.From Orbi App.

Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you may want to try.  I would set up the RBR first using a wired PC and web browser. Once the RBR is setup, add the RBS using black sync buttons in back. 

Once you have it all setup, then check the Orbi app. 

What FW did you end up with on the RBS and RBR?

Message 15 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

I went back to version 2.7.0.70.
Was having issues going to the one you suggested. It wasn’t loading on the RBS50 satellite.
Also, ipv6; should that be enabled? And what setting? It’s currently disabled. Maybe that’s the issue why it drops out every time I’m trying to load a webpage.
Message 16 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

I was trying to reply to you while on the Orby Wi-Fi and I couldn’t even send you the reply. Ugh!!!
Very frustrating. I think A complete reboot and reset up should be performed.
Message 17 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 18 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

The router just keeps dropping out. All is green when connected with “Anywhere Access”. Can’t surf sites or nothing.
Message 19 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

This is what I get when trying to open websites.
Message 20 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

This happens with just the RBR? No RBS connected, just turned OFF?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 21 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

Cogeco is my service provider. I’m located in Ontario, Canada. I switched to the 1 Gig modem for faster speeds. The Orbi will work off and on. When I power cycle everything it works again just for a little while. Luckily I have another ROUTER for back up that I can use. This is very frustrating.
Message 22 of 26
Stallion69
Tutor

The modem my provider gave me.
Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 24 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7