Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Mesh System RB20- Device connecting

dannyro19
Aspirant

Orbi Mesh System RB20- Device connecting

I have an Orbi Mesh system with the router in a main room in the house, one satellite two rooms over, and one satellite upstairs directly above the room my router is in. 

I have noticed that some devices and connecting to satellites farther away and with a connection that doesnt make any sense. For example, my PS5 is in the room that houses my router- yet when I check the Orbi app it says the PS5 is connected to a satellite in another room. Why would it do that? Doesnt it make sense to connect to the closest thing? Ive noticed this with other devices as well and dont understand why.

Is there a way to manually move the device's connection to the closest satellite or router? Should I do this? Or do I just ignore this and leave it be. If Im playing games or streaming I'd like the fastest connection possible.

thanks

Dan

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Mesh System RB20

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 4
dannyro19
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Mesh System RB20

The cable modem is a Netgear CM1150 V  Nighthawk Mutli Gig Cable modem. My house is 2,700 square feet. Router firmware version 2.7.4.24

distance from one satellite is about 39 feet- satellite two is much further away upstairs, probably 75-100 feet

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Mesh System RB20- Device connecting

@dannyro19 wrote:

Doesn't it make sense to connect to the closest thing? Ive noticed this with other devices as well and dont understand why.

Is there a way to manually move the device's connection to the closest satellite or router? Should I do this? Or do I just ignore this and leave it be. If I'm playing games or streaming I'd like the fastest connection possible.

This is a frequent question on the forum.  Prompted by this post, I looked at my Attached Devices and found that two Wyze cameras were connected to a satellite on the opposite side of the house when there is an Orbi Voice satellite only about 10 feet away.  Went into the Wyze app and told the two cameras to restart.

At first, nothing seemed to happen.  Attached Devices continued to report the cameras connected to the satellite across the house.  After about 10 minutes, however, Attached Devices now says both cameras are connected to the Orbi Voice that is close to them.

One explanation for this strange situation is that WiFi software in devices varies in capability.  Devices that are intended to be mobile (such as phones, tablets, laptops) typically have WiFi software that constantly scans for a better connection, and when one appears, they switch access points.  (There is even the 802.11r standard called Fast Roaming for how to do this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11r-2008 )  Devices that are not intended to be mobile, such as most Internet of Things (IoT) devices, may select the first WiFi access point they find and stick with it.

So, my recommendation is (a) restart the device, and (b) wait at least 15 minutes before trusting that Attached Devices is reporting the actual connection.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7