Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 + 2 satellites - Can they be used with a different router?

lefavorg
Follower

Orbi RBR50 + 2 satellites - Can they be used with a different router?

I want to use the RBR50 and two satellites I have but turn off the Orbi router and connect them to another router.  Is this possible, or am I nuts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS only connect to ORbi RBR models, RBR20, RBR30, RBR40 or RBR50. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@lefavorg wrote:

I want to use the RBR50 and two satellites I have but turn off the Orbi router and connect them to another router.  Is this possible, or am I nuts?

The question is ambiguous. @FURRYe38 is correct. Orbi satellites cannot be connected to any other brand of router. Not even to a different model of Orbi router (Pro or AX).

The Orbi router itself can be connected to another router, such as a combination modem/router supplied by  an Internet Service Provider. Thousands of customers have done this.  The satellites are then connected to the Orbi router and form a mesh WiFi network.  This does create a situation called a "Double NAT" (Google it, or check out https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT )

Sophisticated users would prefer to make one of the two routers into "not a router" to eliminate the Double NAT.

Message 3 of 4
wwlen1
Guide

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7