× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 slow download while pushing upload

broose
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 slow download while pushing upload

I've got an Orbi RBR50 routing from a Spectrum fiber modem. While pushing at my connection's limit, to backup a new system to the cloud, download performance goes to near zero for everything: pings of 2-3 seconds, DL of 100Kbps. Spectrum's specs for my connection are 500Mbps down and 20 up. (Yeah, the upload limit on their fiber connection is no better than coax. Makes me wonder if they're just using fiber in the ground to be able to say they have fiber.) The cloud backup is running on a cabled connection to the router from a NAS. Aborting the cloud backup brings performance back to spec.

Could this behavior be a modem or router thing? Or an up river Spectrum thing?

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

My guess is that saturating the upload link causes the speed testing app to have to wait for confirmation that each download segment has been received.  Same thing with ICMP (ping).  It is not the data coming down. It's the TCP acknowledgements that are holding everything up.

If you could find a speed testing app that uses UDP to flood data from an internet host to the app without any feedback, it would probably run gangbusters. Could you give this one a try?

https://testmy.net/download 

Message 2 of 7
broose
Aspirant

Thanks. Interesting. speedtest.net shows ping of 2600ms, 0.64Mbps down and 0 up. testmy.net shows 13Mbps down and 57Kbps up. Not great but definitely different.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

well, darn. Their web site makes a big deal about using UDP, but it sounds like they still communicate progress back to the server.  My Spectrum upload speed maxes out at 11MB/sec.  Looks like your fiber connection is "twice as fast".

Message 4 of 7
broose
Aspirant

Spectrum swapped out their modem (in my house) and said if that didn't fix it, it's on my end. Behavior is the same as before the modem swap.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you schedule the cloud backup to when no one is using the system?

Message 6 of 7
broose
Aspirant

I have been but it’s only a few hours per day. At that rate it will take weeks to catch up.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7