Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 / RBS850 AP Mode Totally Broken after Firmware update to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

NishalPatel
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 / RBS850 AP Mode Totally Broken after Firmware update to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

This Mesh was working fine with one router and two satellites with AP Mode and Wired Backhaul until I upgraded to the latest firmware.   Once you upgrade, your satellites may de-synch and thats where the problem starts.  You can get it working but you will have User Itnerface bugs that will make it look like its not working...  If for some reason it does not work, here is what I followed to get it working and how I tested it.  There was another article where when you change from Router mode to AP mode, there is no need to move the wire from the Internet Port to the LAN port.  That post was correct ,leave it alone.  It changes it internally.

Also I recommend to do this via a latop or desktop browser, not the phone.

If you cannot get them to synch:

1. Go to the web interface of the router -> Attached Devices - If you see them there in a disconnected state, remove them.

2. Reset everything including the router and satellites.  Put a pin in the reset and hold for 30 seconds.  Make sure it is blinmking Orange on the back near the reset switch.

3. Connect the router network cable back to Internet port if not already.

4. Once everything is reset and powered on with a steady white light (This can take up to 6 mninutes or more) connect your computer to the default wireless SID.,

5.Browse to "http://192.168.1.1" or your default IP address of the Orbi Router.

6.Start the normal setup and detect the satelites.  All should detect and connect and work fine.  (I dont know if it matters or not but I put all the Satellites and Router within 10 feet for all of this)

7. Now change the mode to "AP" mode in the router.

8. Do not move the cable on the router.  Leave it in the "Internet" port.

9. Now when the system is up, check to see if the all is fine.

10. Move the Satellites to where they belong now and attached the backhaul ethernet to them.

11. Boot up, now you will no longer see the satellites in Attached Devices.  (But it should be working).  

12. To figure this out, install the Netgear Orbi App on the phone.

13.  Go right to your router and connect to wifi so your phone connected to the router and not the satelittes.

14. Launch the app.  The app will work fine now and check the satallites and backhaul connection.  All should be good.

If the app does not launch, you are connect to the satellite.  Move closer to the router and turn off and on the wifi.  Then try. 

The WebUI is broken and will not sure the Satellites or any of the devices that are connected to them.  So long as the phone app shows it correctly, your good.   

Hopefully they fix it soon. 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 / RBS850 AP Mode Totally Broken after Firmware update to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX With Cable Modem products.  Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi with cable modem and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum.  Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Need more information on the host router you are using and how it's configured. Please include the ISP modem brand and model too.

AP mode is working for my 8 series system, router and AP mode. 

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 8
NishalPatel
Aspirant

My setup has no cable modem. I have Google fiber straight into a Firewalla Gold router. Firewalla is my DHCP server. The Firewalla has four ports. One port feeds my Cisco smart switch that feeds my wired part of the house. The order port feeds into my Orbi Router to feed the wireless. So that’s why I have my Orbi in AP mode. Both satellites are using my house wiring for back haul which feeds back to the switch and then to the Firewalla.

By the way this all worked find for 2 months prior to firmware upgrade. Also it is working now however the router web interface is not showing it for some reason.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So the RBS are connected to the house hold ethernet ports and cabling? 

Is this cabling connected to the Cisco smart switch or to the back of the RBR? 

What is the model# of this Cisco switch? 

ALL RBS NEED to be connected behind the RBR, not thru a switch then connected to the RBR. The segment line for the RBS needs to be connected behing the RBR, in series, not in a parallel segment to the RBR. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

I have my 8 series working in AP mode with v16 loaded and two RBS ethernet connected to the RBR using an HP Procure 1400 series switch. 

Message 4 of 8
NishalPatel
Aspirant

Sorry my mistake. I forgot I changed my switch early this year. It is a netgear gs316. Also my setup is the same as the 3rd picture in your link. What baffles is this all worked.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So connect the RBS directly to the back of the RBR with out the switch to see if the changes the behavior. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/RBR850-RBS850-4-6-3-9-Firmware-problem/m-p/2139434/high...

The GS as the following:

• Energy-efficient technology for power savings

Something that Orbi has long has had a problem with in the past. Even though it worked for you on v3, v4 may have changes this behavior. My 8 series is in AP mode currenly and both RBS are working with v4 loaded while connected to my HP Procurve switch.

Message 6 of 8
kevanbrown
Aspirant

@NishalPatel  - You are not alone.  The 4.x firmware branch is totally borked with AP mode.  I originally opened a support case with NETGEAR back in late August to report these issues with the web UI hanging in AP mode while attempting to list attached devices and the content area of the Home page (functions fine in router mode).  After "escalating my case" and answering their questions, the support case management system mysteriously closed my case while awaiting a response from advanced support.  I then had to open a new case to replace the automatically closed case (and start the whole escalation process over again; answering the same questions) and the new case has been open for over a month now.  I've done screen sharing sessions on both cases so they have witnessed the behavior and configuration in both AP and router mode.

It also seems as though the NETGEAR Armor service isn't being disabled in AP mode as it was in previous versions.

There is also an issue downloading the debug logs from the RBR850 while in AP mode; the download starts and suddenly stalls, eventually timing out.  This also was witnessed by support directly during a screen share.

This is definitely a firmware issue; it doesn't seem like the 4.x firmware was sufficiently tested in AP mode.  Unfortunately, you are also prohibited from downgrading from 4.x back to 3.x.  So once you have the 4.x firmware installed; you're stuck with all of these issues until NETGEAR acknowledges and resolves the firmware bugs.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBR850-RBS850-4-6-3-9-Firmware-probl...

@kevanbrown wrote:

You are not alone.  The 4.x firmware branch is totally borked with AP mode.  I originally opened a support case with NETGEAR back in late August to report these issues with the web UI hanging in AP mode while attempting to list attached devices and the content area of the Home page (functions fine in router mode).  After "escalating my case" and answering their questions, the support case management system mysteriously closed my case while awaiting a response from advanced support.  I then had to open a new case to replace the automatically closed case (and start the whole escalation process over again; answering the same questions) and the new case has been open for over a month now.  I've done screen sharing sessions on both cases so they have witnessed the behavior and configuration in both AP and router mode.

It also seems as though the NETGEAR Armor service isn't being disabled in AP mode as it was in previous versions.

There is also an issue downloading the debug logs from the RBR850 while in AP mode; the download starts and suddenly stalls, eventually timing out.  This also was witnessed by support directly during a screen share.

This is definitely a firmware issue; it doesn't seem like the 4.x firmware was sufficiently tested in AP mode.  Unfortunately, you are also prohibited from downgrading from 4.x back to 3.x.  So once you have the 4.x firmware installed; you're stuck with all of these issues until NETGEAR acknowledges and resolves the firmware bugs.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7