Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi VPN issues

rizzy321
Aspirant

Orbi VPN issues

Hello,

I'm having issues setting up VPN on my Orbi.  It seems to be a port forwarding issue.

I currently use No-IP to point to my surveillance system, which is on port 80 and 8000.  Orbi is set to forward these 2 ports to the NVR system.

I set up the Orbi to use a new No-IP address for OpenVPN.  I followed all the steps, but can not get connected to VPN via any device (phone or PC).  When I open a web browser and go to the address I set up for the VPN, it brings me to the login page for my surveillance.

Under VPN Service in the Orbi, the ports used are 12973 and 12974.  I checked online and these ports are NOT open.  I wanted to set up a port forward in Orbi for these ports, but I can't forward to 192.168.1.1   Where should these be forwarded to in order to get VPN to work?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8
st_shaw
Master

wrote:

Hello,

I'm having issues setting up VPN on my Orbi.  It seems to be a port forwarding issue.

I currently use No-IP to point to my surveillance system, which is on port 80 and 8000.  Orbi is set to forward these 2 ports to the NVR system.

I set up the Orbi to use a new No-IP address for OpenVPN.  I followed all the steps, but can not get connected to VPN via any device (phone or PC).  When I open a web browser and go to the address I set up for the VPN, it brings me to the login page for my surveillance.

Under VPN Service in the Orbi, the ports used are 12973 and 12974.  I checked online and these ports are NOT open.  I wanted to set up a port forward in Orbi for these ports, but I can't forward to 192.168.1.1   Where should these be forwarded to in order to get VPN to work?

See page 125 in the Orbi User Manual.  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

Some of what you wrote is not consistent with VPN setup:

"When I open a web browser and go to the address I set up for the VPN, it brings me to the login page for my surveillance."

You do not setup an address for the VPN.  You use the WAN address of the router to connect to the VPN.

This behavior is exactly what is expected, given that you setup port forwarding for your surveillance system.

You do not use a web browser to access VPN, you must configure a client app/software on your remote device, as described in the  Orbi User Manaul. If that's not clear, you should read-up on how OpenVPN works and try again.

"I wanted to set up a port forward in Orbi for these ports, but I can't forward to 192.168.1.1 "

You do not need to do any port forwarding. If you were to forward these ports you would break the VPN configuration.

Message 2 of 8
rizzy321
Aspirant

When I mentioned that I'm using a web address, I'm talking about the DDNS address I registered to use for OpenVPN.  That web address goes to my surveillance system, not my VPN.

I followed all the instructions to set up the OpenVPN properly.

I went into the orbi, enabled VPN, and set up the No-IP account and address for OpenVPN.

I exported the OpenVPN file and got it on my phone.

I imported it to OpenVPN.

It's not working.

It seems like something with the surveillance forward is interfering.  However, those are only ports 80 and 8000.

Message 3 of 8
st_shaw
Master

wrote:

When I mentioned that I'm using a web address, I'm talking about the DDNS address I registered to use for OpenVPN.  That web address goes to my surveillance system, not my VPN.

I followed all the instructions to set up the OpenVPN properly.

I went into the orbi, enabled VPN, and set up the No-IP account and address for OpenVPN.

I exported the OpenVPN file and got it on my phone.

I imported it to OpenVPN.

It's not working.

It seems like something with the surveillance forward is interfering.  However, those are only ports 80 and 8000.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant.  However, some of what you are saying still doesn't make sense to me.

Your Orbi router only has one public WAN IP address.  You must use this one WAN IP address for accessing your NVR and for connecting to your rotuer via Open VPN. This is accomplished by using different ports.

So, it shouldn't be necessary to create a new DDNS "address" (hostname actually) for accessing the VPN.  You could use the same hostname you created for accessing the NVR.

Why do you believe the new DDNS address goes to your VPN and not your NVR? Are you trying to use SRV records within DNS, or something like that? If so, get it working using normal DNS records first.

The fact that the host name leads you to your NVR is actually a good sign, as it means the DDNS entry is properly mapped to your WAN IP.

Also, I assume you are testing this with your phone's WiFi OFF and using your phone's WAN connection, not on the LAN?

Message 4 of 8
ktula
Apprentice

Does VPN work with port-forwarding disabled?

Message 5 of 8
st_shaw
Master

wrote:

VPN should work with no manual port forwarding entries.  It's not clear what you mean because there is no option to "disable"port forwarding.

Message 6 of 8
ktula
Apprentice

wrote:

wrote:

VPN should work with no manual port forwarding entries.  It's not clear what you mean because there is no option to "disable"port forwarding.

From the OP:

"I currently use No-IP to point to my surveillance system, which is on port 80 and 8000.  Orbi is set to forward these 2 ports to the NVR system."

I asked the OP if he had tested VPN with the his port forwarding disabled.

Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

wrote: 

I asked the OP if he had tested VPN with the his port forwarding disabled.

OK. Thanks.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7