Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Voice model RBS40V, Alexa not responding to voice command or playing through the speaker

JBW1
Aspirant

Orbi Voice model RBS40V, Alexa not responding to voice command or playing through the speaker

My Orbi Voice shows connected to my Alexa device (Echo Dot), but will not respond to voice commands. It worked initially but once I unplugged my router to relocate it, the issue started. It will receive my Amazon notifications and display a yellow pulsing light, and when I press the button on top, I get the blue and cyan colors like it's listening, but no response. 

I've tried unplugging everything and unsyncing/resyncing, but still not working...any ideas?

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Voice model RBS40V, Alexa not responding to voice command or playing through the speaker

Well, after registering the product on MyNETGEAR, clicking the support tab and creating a case number, calling the phone number in the email provided, 35 minutes of hold time after being number 21 in the queue, and then speaking to a rep who says I contacted the wrong department, she tells me she would have to transfer me to "the appropriate department." I specifically asked if I would be placed back in a phone queue and said "no, I'm just transferring you back to the approriate department," but low and behold I am 13th in a call queue again. Total call time right is 47 minutes...not too impressed with product support at this point but hopefully it gets resolved.

Message 2 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

ok, one hour and 12 minutes since I initially called and now I've connected to a second rep who just wants to clarify that I have a "router with a bulit-in Alexa." ....

"Well, no, I have a Orbi Voice satellite and the voice function is not working with my Alexa."

"Yeah, that's what I mean you have a satellite with a built-in Alexa."

"oh, ok, yes."

"what error message is it giving you?"

"I'm not getting an error message. It just doesn't respond whe I say "Alexa" and nothing comes from the speaker"

"ok, let me place you on hold"

Message 3 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

After one hour and 55 minutes on the phone, I was placed on hold and the call dropped. The rep called me back and says I need to contact Amazon. Per Orbi rep, everything is fine on their end and my router is functioning properly, so I need to be tranferred to Amazon. Orbi rep was able to connect me to Amazon phone support. The automated message on Amazon states they cannot reached by phone at this time because of the COVID issues and it disconnected.

Unbelievable. Thanks for the help Netgear/Orbi. /sarcasm. 

Message 4 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

So I contacted Amazon through chat and they referred me back to Netgear/Orbi. At this point I have completely set up everything as though it were new and nothing. At this point, I do NOT recommend the Orbi Voice. Save your money on the gimmick factor and just but a regular satellite and a $30 echo dot. 

Message 5 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

UPDATE: still doesn't work, but I got an email from NETGEAR asking if I want to sign up for extended tech support for a mere $50. Maybe if you could have resolved the issue on my brand new product, I'd consider it. As of now, it's just insulting. 

Message 6 of 51
dpeagle
Aspirant

during initial setup did you get prompted to set up alexa on the satallite? also, what does it show for firmware version, and did you try doing a factory reset of the satallite? you might also try doing a factory reset of the router and start from scratch. you did say it worked when you first setup the system.

Message 7 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

during initial setup did you get prompted to set up alexa on the satallite?

During initial setup I did get prompted to set up Alexa. I followed the propmts and it was very easy. For a short time it worked as it should, then when I unplugged the router to relocate it, the Orbi Voice started doing what it does know. Still shows connected, shows up on my Alexa app, and will get the yellow notification ring so it's obviously linked to my Amazon account, but it doesn't play any sound won't respond to "Alexa,..." It's almost as if the speaker and microphone are disabled, but the red x's next to each of those buttons are not illuminated. 

also, what does it show for firmware version, and did you try doing a factory reset of the satallite?

The firmware version is V2.5.1.2, and yes, factory reset was done several times now. 

you might also try doing a factory reset of the router and start from scratch. you did say it worked when you first setup the system.

I reset the router and did the complete setup as if it were new three times now, and still the same issue. The Orbi Voice works fine as a regular satellite, just annoying that it doeesn't function as it should. 

Message 8 of 51
dpeagle
Aspirant

very strange. when you ask alexa something and you get no response, does the blue ring on top of the 40v still come on?

Message 9 of 51
dpeagle
Aspirant

also, check the alexa app and make sure you don't have "do not disturb" for the 40v engaged.

Message 10 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

I did confirm the do not disturb option is not activated. 

The blue ring on top of the 40v does NOT come on when you say "Alexa," as it did previously. If you manually press the button on top on the unit, the blue ring will illuiminate. 

Message 11 of 51
dpeagle
Aspirant

ok, next in the orbi app open the 40v satallite and confirm it is logged in to alexa.

Message 12 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

Yes, logged in per the Orbi app

Message 13 of 51
dpeagle
Aspirant

well thats all the simple things that would cause your issues. it's obvious the mic is not working. whether it is a hardware or firmware issue is not clear. try this, connect your 40v to the router via ethernet (reboot the system) to see if anything changes. if not while you have it connected via ethenet try to reinstall the firmware. if all that does not work and you cant get satisfaction from netgear support, i would return it for a replacement. 

Message 14 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

I will give it a try and update the post. Thank you for the suggenstions and help. 

Message 15 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

Well, I tried what you suggested and no luck. It seems as though the microphone just stopped working. What’s weird is that I’ve noticed over the weekend on two separate occasions, that the red x next to microphone is illuminated even though nobody touched it. I will touch it again to “turn on” the microphone and make the red x go away, but it still doesn’t respond to “alexa, ...”

I was really hoping somebody from Netgear would have at least tried to chime in, but no.
Message 16 of 51
Kohnstamfamily
Aspirant

Hi did you get it working ? I have the same issue and it seems to have happened about the same time .it reregistees fine and actually Connect and I can get the blue ring to work if I press the Alexa (still doesn’t respond through the Speaker just blinks for the duration of a response . I’ve done all the resets you did I am going to see how to download the forward again it seems a new firmware load about that time corrupted it
Message 17 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

Nah, I have reset and even updated the firmware, and a piece of junk still doesn’t work. I’ve given up, and clearly no one from Netgear knows what’s going on with it because no one has bothered to even reply or try to fix it for me.
Message 18 of 51

I just got mine and finished setting up and I'm finding the same thing. The blue light is on indicating that Alexa is listening, but she won't do anything.

I got it to play music... not through Apple Music mind you. The fact that it doesn't work with Apple Music is a HUGE problem now. But since Alexa doesn't seem to hear anything it now won't shut off. I had to pull the power to get it to shut up.

I also noticed the red X next to the microphone randomly turned itself on.

Within 10 minutes I'm learning that this thing is a disappointing piece of junk. Netgear, what say you?

Message 19 of 51
JBW1
Aspirant

Yeah, it’s very disappointing, but sadly not too surprising. Netgear customer service is a joke.
Message 20 of 51
Mstrbig
Master

When you factory reset the RBS40V, did you change the mode back to Orbi? When I got mine last week I had to change it to Orbi, then set it up.

Message 21 of 51

@Mstrbig wrote:

When you factory reset the RBS40V, did you change the mode back to Orbi? When I got mine last week I had to change it to Orbi, then set it up.

Changing to Orbi mode apparently only works if connecting to an Orbi router, which I am not. I only found this out after going through the tedious process of resetting the Orbi Voice. Now it is even more useless than before. I have to reset the whole thing again and try to reconnect it in the way it was only working half-way well to begin with. This advice was terrible. Thanks for nothing.

Message 22 of 51
Mstrbig
Master

@BrollAmerican wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

Changing to Orbi mode apparently only works if connecting to an Orbi router, which I am not. I only found this out after going through the tedious process of resetting the Orbi Voice. Now it is even more useless than before. I have to reset the whole thing again and try to reconnect it in the way it was only working half-way well to begin with. This advice was terrible. Thanks for nothing.

Didn't you investigate before purchasing? Without an Orbi router you have to run in extender mode. But it should have nothing to do with the OP's question regarding controls. Changing it back to Extender mode is an elementary procedure if you follow the directions.

Could it possibly be you didn't leave enough information, when you were asking for help?

Message 23 of 51

Didn't you investigate before purchasing? Without an Orbi router you have to run in extender mode. But it should have nothing to do with the OP's question regarding controls. Changing it back to Extender mode is an elementary procedure if you follow the directions.

Could it possibly be you didn't leave enough information, when you were asking for help?

Ah… the key statement "it should have nothing to do with the OP's question regarding controls." Yet it does. The product claims to work with non-Netgear/Orbi routers as an extender/Alexa speaker. It works like 70% of the time. The controls are REALLY glitchy. Volume control is haphazard or non-existant. Could it possibly be you offered a solution without being familiar with the problem?

Message 24 of 51
Mstrbig
Master

@BrollAmerican wrote:

Ah… the key statement "it should have nothing to do with the OP's question regarding controls." Yet it does. The product claims to work with non-Netgear/Orbi routers as an extender/Alexa speaker. It works like 70% of the time. The controls are REALLY glitchy. Volume control is haphazard or non-existant. Could it possibly be you offered a solution without being familiar with the problem?

The product absulutely does work with Non Netgear/Orbi routers as a WIFI extender and Alexa compatible speaker!

Yours working 70% of the time could mean defective for sure. Did yoy buy it brand new or used? If new you can return it or exchange it, as it may be faulty. If used, it may have had that problem when you bought it. 

I'm very familiar with the product, as I install many of them and never had a bad one, and own one myself.

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7