Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and new Firmware is a nightmare

sabrinamane
Tutor

Orbi and new Firmware is a nightmare

Since around 2 weeks I have automatic new firmware installed to my Orbi RBR50 and 2 satellites. 2 weeks of nightmare where internet stop working in the middle of the day due to that. Then. The day after a new one is released and again automatically installed and my internet cut and remain unstable the whole day. 2 weeks of having new firmware every day!!! I connect to the Admin platform but still can't see the option to unable the automatic installation. Why does this option do not exist yet? Or if it is somewhere how to do it? Am fed up tonhave automatically installation during the working hour abmnd I fail to all my calls. I WANT to update those firmware WHEN I want. Not when Netgear wants it. Who can help??? Thanks sabrina
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

It's highly recommended to manually download FW files and manually apply them. Update any RBS FIRST, then send to the RBR lastly. A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

What actual firmware version are you on? 

Message 3 of 8
sabrinamane
Tutor

Now it is v2.7.4.24
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 8
sabrinamane
Tutor

Not sure why I should upload manually the FW if this is my main issue? All the cuts are coming from the fact that there is an automatic push for last FW installation. This can be 3 times per day those days. Am just looking for a simple option where I can enable the automatic installation
Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Not currently on Orbi AC. There is on Orbi AX systems. 

Only one push will be seen. If your having problems then a factory reset maybe needed along with manually loading FW files on the RBS and RBR using a wired PC. 

Message 7 of 8

@sabrinamane wrote:
Not sure why I should upload manually the FW if this is my main issue?

It is just one of those things that removes variables and reduces the risk of corruption during the installation.

Mostly updates works fine, but experienced users like to control their own destiny. That also eliminates the risk of catastrophe with lost internet connections in mid update.

It may be worth trying if you have post-update problems, but a more useful measure might be the "factor reset".

That too can be more witchcraft than science, and usually not necessary. But if you have problems, it makes sense to try it.

Likewise a network reboot can also help.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Again, 99% of updates may not need it, but we are talking troubleshooting here.

If you still have problems after this rigmarole, then you have to dig deeper.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7