Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardware warranty support

jcxmartin
Aspirant

Hardware warranty support

I have an Orbi RBK50 that is under hardware warranty, but when I try to submit a warranty support request through the Netgear support website, the site displays an error.  Very frustrating, as there appears to be no other way to contact Netgear for hardware support.

About once a day, I notice that my internet speeds (on all WiFi connected devices) fall to about 90mpbs (whereas they normally reach about 250-300mpbs on my 1 gigabit incoming internet service).  This speed degradation is evident on phones, windows PCs, and Macs that are connected to the WiFi.

I am able to consistently solve the problem by disconnecting the "Internet In" ethernet cable from the main Orbi router.  I just remove it for a few seconds, then plug it back in, and my WiFi internet speeds return to the normal 250-300mpbs level.

This is obviously an inconvenience, and it's not how the product was designed to work, which leads me to believe there is a hardware issue.

Note that the main router and all three satellites are on firmware 2.7.5.4.

Netgear, how do I get in touch with you to submit a support request under the hardware warranty?

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Hardware warranty support

May not be a HW problem, lets check this first...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter.

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 64. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
There is a reason why Orbi has cts set to 64 and that is to help with 1+3 and 1+4 configurations to avoid satellites clashing with each other

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 2 of 14
jcxmartin
Aspirant

The modem is an Arris SBV3202. 

Cable is CAT6 and new. 

Home is 3500 sq ft. 

Distance between main router and satellites is over 30ft.

2.4G channel is Auto.

5G channel is 48.

No WiFi neighbors near.

Armor is off.

As for all those other suggested changes to settings -- seems peculiar that for such a basic WiFi set up such as mine that the factory defaults would require such significant adjustments.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, only the RBR and one RBS would be needed. I can use same RBK50 series I have in my 5000sq ft home with just one RBS and still have great wifi coverage and services. 

Try using manual channel 1 and 40

Sometimes after a FW update, a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed if problems are seen. 

Message 4 of 14
jcxmartin
Aspirant

I previously used one RBR and one RBS and found the resulting internet speeds were far lower than what I should be getting.  Perhaps that's a consequence of how the house is laid out?  Also worth noting that the 3500 sq ft does not include a finished basement and outdoor patio space where I also need coverage.  Regardless, I don't see how having more satellites would create the issue I'm experiencing (where fixing the speed degradation requires unplugging the internet cable into the RBR).

As for the factory reset, no offense -- but every time I've ever sought support from Netgear, that's always their answer.  And it never solves the problem.

Do you have an answer to my original question, though, about how one can actually contact Netgear for support under a hardware warranty?  Seems awfully convenient for them that the form on their website for that purpose doesn't work.

Message 5 of 14

@jcxmartin wrote:

I have an Orbi RBK50 that is under hardware warranty, but when I try to submit a warranty support request through the Netgear support website, the site displays an error. 

What error?

About once a day, I notice that my internet speeds (on all WiFi connected devices) fall to about 90mpbs (whereas they normally reach about 250-300mpbs on my 1 gigabit incoming internet service).  This speed degradation is evident on phones, windows PCs, and Macs that are connected to the WiFi.

I am able to consistently solve the problem by disconnecting the "Internet In" ethernet cable from the main Orbi router.  I just remove it for a few seconds, then plug it back in, and my WiFi internet speeds return to the normal 250-300mpbs level.

As @FURRYe38 suggests, that sounds more like a local issue than anything wrong with your device.

Put some work into troubleshooting that and you may save a lot of hassle with the RMA process.

Message 6 of 14

@jcxmartin wrote:

As for the factory reset, no offense -- but every time I've ever sought support from Netgear, that's always their answer.  And it never solves the problem.

A reset may be more witchcraft than science, but the reason for suggesting it is that it is the first thing that Netgear will ask you to do before it even begins to contemplate an RMA.

If you get to that stage at least you will be able to say "been there, done that".

It may not work for you, but you might be surprised by how often that simple measure saves a lot of grief.

Regardless, I don't see how having more satellites would create the issue I'm experiencing (where fixing the speed degradation requires unplugging the internet cable into the RBR).

The first thing that that suggests is that there is some sort of configuration issue between modem and router.

You have decided that the router is the problem. I'd want to dig deeper before concluding that.

Do you have an answer to my original question, though, about how one can actually contact Netgear for support under a hardware warranty?  Seems awfully convenient for them that the form on their website for that purpose doesn't work.

Is this what you did?

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Your first message just said "the site displays an error". Ask yourself how much this tells us about what you did and what happened.

Message 7 of 14
jcxmartin
Aspirant

When you go to the "My Registered Products" page on the Netgear site, you are given the opportunity to select a product and "Request Hardware Support."  Below is the link to that page:

https://my.netgear.com/requesthardwarereplacement.aspx

When I enter in the nature of my request, I get the attached error screen.

I've tried it on multiple browsers.  I've cleared my cache.  I've tried incognito mode.  None of that helps.

Message 8 of 14

@jcxmartin wrote:

When you go to the "My Registered Products" page on the Netgear site, you are given the opportunity to select a product and "Request Hardware Support."  Below is the link to that page:

https://my.netgear.com/requesthardwarereplacement.aspx

When I enter in the nature of my request, I get the attached error screen.

Aha. Same result here. Albeit with more "furniture".

It is broken.

It might be something to do with Easter holidays.

Is your RBK50  system registered at MyNetgear?

Now that we know what is happening, someone can alert Netgear and ask them to get it fixed.

@DarrenM @ChristineT @Blanca_O or @DexterJB maybe able to help.

I still think you should troubleshoot your hardware.

Message 9 of 14
jcxmartin
Aspirant

Yes, my RBK50 is registered and appears on the "My Products" page.

Message 10 of 14
jcxmartin
Aspirant

I did the factory reset on the main router and all satellites.  Did not help.  Still experiencing the same issue.

Interesting how no one from Netgear is stepping up to acknowledge and correct the hardware warranty issue submission form.  I guess they don't really stand by their products?

Message 11 of 14

@jcxmartin wrote:

Interesting how no one from Netgear is stepping up to acknowledge and correct the hardware warranty issue submission form.  I guess they don't really stand by their products?

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue to talk about technical issues, with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

They aren't equipped to answers sales questions or to talk about warranty issues.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 12 of 14
jcxmartin
Aspirant

Yes, I'd love to contact Netgear, but their support inquiry form doesn't work!  (See earlier messages.)

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would maybe contact with a forum Moderator.

@KevinLiT 

Good Luck.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7