Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi creating two different IP Ranges?

PMWICON
Tutor

Orbi creating two different IP Ranges?

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me.  It seems I have two different IP ranges floating around my house.  First, a bit about my setup...  I have a Netgear ORBI RBR50 with one satelite.  I also have a CUJO Internet Firewall.  Orbi is set to use my ISP to dynamically set the IP address of my devices.  

Now the issue...  When I look at my "attached devices" in orbi I can see them all just fine.  The issue I have is that there are two different IP ranges that are showing up.  I have the standard 192.168.x.x that Orbi is using, but I also have a 10.0.0.x range.  The issue I am having is that when I try to control certain devices with my phone they cannot be found because the phone views them on a different network.  Examples of devices I am having issue controlling are Sonos speakers and Apple TV 4k's.

Any thoughts on why this would be happening?  Does the orbi satelite use a different IP range than the main orbi hub?  Is it possible I have an old network still floating around my house?  I am really getting frustrated, and I am not sure where else to turn.

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

What modem are you using? 

Message 2 of 15
PMWICON
Tutor

I have an AT&T moden/wifi router combo.  All WIFI capabilities are disabled on the router.  I spoke with AT&T for about an hour this morning and we did a bunch of torubleshooting, but the only IP's they see being set on their side are the 192.168.0.x ranges.

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

@PMWICON wrote:

I have an AT&T moden/wifi router combo.  All WIFI capabilities are disabled on the router.  I spoke with AT&T for about an hour this morning and we did a bunch of torubleshooting, but the only IP's they see being set on their side are the 192.168.0.x ranges.

Disabling wifi doesn't disabling its routing function. You'll still have 2 devices handing out IP addresses on your network. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 4 of 15
PMWICON
Tutor

I will take a look at this.  Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

No worries.

Att devices aren't known to be simple/capable to setup in passthrough/modem only mode. many have to put their orbi's in AP mode to get the functing properly. Not sure why Att is so possessive of keeping their routing function active. 

Message 6 of 15
PMWICON
Tutor

In looking at the instructions noted for fixing the NATing issue....  The suggestion was to put the AT&T device into Bridge mode.  As I look at the instructions for how to do this with my particular modem it seems I am already in Bridge mode.  In my routers case it is setting the firewall function as "Passthrough".  

Not sure this is the issue as it seems my AT&T device has already been set in Bridge mode and the wifi has been disabled.  

Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

Att devices are notorious for passthrough dmz not working correctly. 

Again, many times the easiest router to get everything working properly is leave the att device in routing mode, disable its wifi, and place the orbi in AP mode. 

Its not hard to do and if it fixes your issue, then its the att combo device causing issues. 

Message 8 of 15
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Adding to @plemans's comments, I would avoid IP Passthrough at all cost because it could create other problem down the road and taxing Orbi CPU with NAT'ing.  If you don't have gigabit speed, it might not matter (gigabit + NAT == ~100% CPU on my Asus RT-AC87U).

Having ATT box does all the basic routing/dhcp stuffs + NAT'ing will allow Orbi to focus on WiFi, which is its strength.  It doesn't mean that Orbi Quad-core 716 MHz processor can't deal with gigabit download speed.  Having Orbi in AP Mode will keep the setup simple and take advantage of the strength of both boxes.

Message 9 of 15
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Here's another user with a similar problem.  Check out this thread.

Message 10 of 15
PMWICON
Tutor

Thanks for all the assistance on this.  I wanted to provide an update after many hours on the phone with AT&T, SONOS, and Netgear.  The final solution was to set IP Passthrough on my AT&T device and set my Netgear Orbi as an Access Point.  With this solution all of my connected devices seem to work fine.  

At one point Netgear told me I simply needed to buy a new Orbi....  This has all been very frustrating to say the least.  I am not a networking expert, to say the least, and between these three companies, they didn't seem to understand how to make the technology work together.  

I am happy everything is working, but using Orbi as an access point disables a lot of features that made me buy it in the first place.  

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

You're right in that it does disable a lot of the features that you buy orbi for. I'd love to be able to point that at Netgear but the orbi has to be set that way because of the ATT box and they way they design/code their stuff.

I understand your frustration but what do you think Netgear can do to make ATT setup their devices properly to work with 3rd party equipment?  

Message 12 of 15
plemans
Guru

also, if you're using sonos, make sure that only 1 sonos device is plugged into orbi. the others can connect to each other wireless but sonos's can have issues with more than a single one plugged into orbi. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBS50-thinks-it-s-wired-to-another-RBS50-Satellite/m-p/1843599

Message 13 of 15
PMWICON
Tutor

I don't know that I expect them to do anything specifically....  My frustration is more around the number of hours I had to spend on the phone with them to arrive at the answer.  It seems this could have been a pretty quick discussion and fix.  In the end it didnt feel like the support personnel I worked with fully understood the product.  They did a LOT of trial and error, and as noted, they even told me I needed to buy a new Orbi router at one point.  

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

its unfortunate to get bounced around like that.

The forums are a good resource. I usually check them first for issues before I ever call. Reason why is staffing call centers is expensive. there's always tiered levels of support and usually level 1 is going off a flow chart. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7