Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi i NOT a mesh system!

eriklindgren
Tutor

Orbi i NOT a mesh system!

My Orbi system: RBR50 +2 RBS50 +1 outdoor satelite RBS50Y

Have had plenty of problems with wifi during the years, big house with concrete walls. The only system that have worked without problems has been the sound system Sonos. Sonos is a mesh system, meaning all products communicate with eachother and make the system reach much greater distances then other "normal" systems (where potential satelites all communicate with the router only)

When I saw the advertisment for the Orbi mesh system I bought it directly, finally a good mesh wifi system I thought. Now, one year later and numerous of connection problems and phone calls to Orbi support without any solutions I read an article from PC World claiming it is actually NOT a mesh system. All satelites communicate with the router. Is this really true?? That would explain 95% of my problems why the satelites far away from the router (but close to another satellite) has such poor connection. 

If it is true, Netgear marketing of the Orbi is really a scam! How can you call it a mesh system if it is not? 

Can anybody confirm wheather this is true or not?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@eriklindgren wrote:

Can I inperpret this answer as that the Orbi is NOT a mesh system but a hub-and-spoke system?

Absolutely.  That is what I said.  In the sense that you define, it is NOT.  It is very definitely a hub and spoke system.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the 3rd 5Ghz radio which supports up to 1733Mbps connection rates between the RBR and RBS is the wireless backhaul that is the communication radio between the RBR and RBS. The RBS can be wired as well to communication both client and RBS traffic over the LAN cable connection. 

Concrete and steel will impact any 5Ghz radio propagation and operation. 

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@eriklindgren wrote:

If it is true, Netgear marketing of the Orbi is really a scam! How can you call it a mesh system if it is not? 

Can anybody confirm whether this is true or not?

In my experience, marketing terms are not nearly as precise as one might hope.  Is Netgear's Orbi a "mesh" in the sense that every device can be configured to connect to the internet and every device establishes links to every other device?  NO.  All of the promotional material from Netgear shows clearly how the "router" is connected to the internet feed and the "satellites" are connected to the router in a star or "Daisy Chain" manner.  There is nothing deceptive about the description of what it is.  I certainly knew going in what I was purchasing.

Orbi (in my opinion) can be called a "Mesh" because the entire system acts as one large WiFi network, with the same SSID/password and devices can move seamlessly from one unit to another (and back) without the connection dropping.  But what the marketing department calls something may be a way to attract my interest, but I'm certainly not going to spend money on it until I read up on how well it meets my needs.

What I find more "deceptive" is the way the WiFi industry has decided to label products by adding together the maximum theoretical bandwidth of every radio into a single term, such as "2200" or "3000".  What a crock.  Only devices (literally) next to a WiFi access point can come even close to connecting at those speeds, and how does the "backhaul" link contribute to anything useful to customers?

Message 4 of 15
eriklindgren
Tutor

Can I inperpret this answer as that the Orbi is NOT a mesh system but a hub-and-spoke system?

Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@eriklindgren wrote:

only after you explain the differences.

Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@eriklindgren wrote:

Absolutely.  That is what I said.  In the sense that you define, it is NOT.  It is very definitely a hub and spoke system.

Message 7 of 15
eriklindgren
Tutor

In my experience, marketing terms are not nearly as precise as one might hope.  Is Netgear's Orbi a "mesh" in the sense that every device can be configured to connect to the internet and every device establishes links to every other device?  NO.  All of the promotional material from Netgear shows clearly how the "router" is connected to the internet feed and the "satellites" are connected to the router in a star or "Daisy Chain" manner.  There is nothing deceptive about the description of what it is.  I certainly knew going in what I was purchasing.

In a mesh network satellites communicate with each other and does not have to go through the router. That is the whole point with a mesh network. 

Message 8 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@eriklindgren wrote:

In a mesh network satellites communicate with each other and does not have to go through the router. That is the whole point with a mesh network. 

so when are you going to get a true mesh system?

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

There maybe differences in MESH networks when it comes to Enterprise/Business and Home Consumer class HW as well. Home class HW will not probably every see what business class HW sees in regards to real MESH. For the home, MESH or Hub and Spoke. It's just all symantics. The satellites do communicate with each other when using Daisy Chain, more like piggy back of each other. Ya, the RBS requires the use of the RBR router. Most Home class "mesh" systems do. 

Message 10 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For the home, MESH or Hub and Spoke. It's just all symantics. The satellites do communicate with each other when using Daisy Chain, more like piggy back of each other. Ya, the RBS requires the use of the RBR router. Most Home class "mesh" systems do. 

well stated, and at the end of the day I doubt my streaming devices cares.  

IMHO...if the nit/nat decison between the Orbi or a true mesh hinges on the above, then perhaps there are underlying problems in the system at hand.

Message 11 of 15
SDvidiot
Initiate

Originally "mesh" systems were setup using ethernet connected wireless access points (WAP) in commercial settings (hotels, convention centers, etc).  The concept of a mesh system is that the wifi connection is (relatively) seamlessly handed off between each WAP as one moves their device throughout the mesh covered area.  The Orbi, with it's wheel-and-spoke architecture, also functions as a mesh in the same way.  It would be a poor design to have daisy-chain architecture for a wireless system as there is significant degradation of the signal as one got further down the line from the  router, hopping from one wireless satellite to the next.  The fact that Orbi is wheel-and-spoke and not daisy-chained does not make it any less of a mesh network.

Message 12 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, I am MUCH older than most folks.  20 years ago "mesh" systems were being installed in neighborhoods as a way to provide internet where there was no significant ISP presence.  Those were indeed a "mesh" in the sense that traffic would reroute if a node went down (which they tended to do).  And, yes, the bandwidth degraded as the signal had to pass through more and more nodes.  (I do not recall any of them automatically taking over the role of internet access.)

Apart from semantics, I don't see much point in this discussion.  It is abundantly clear how the Orbi system is designed.  One upstream connection. Satellites connected to it in a combination of spoke and daisy chain.

Message 13 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

Apart from semantics, I don't see much point in this discussion.  

I think (wow) from the OP statement...." That would explain 95% of my problems why the satelites far away from the router (but close to another satellite) has such poor connection. " ,.....that IF the Orbi were a mesh system then the sats wouldn't disconnect...??

Good luck with that concept.  Sats/wifi extenders/wifi boasters all disconnect at some time and most have nothing to do with a mesh system.

Message 14 of 15
eriklindgren
Tutor

Always facinated to see how some users seems to feel the need to evolve a simple question to a discussion about various things that has not been requested. My initial question has been answered. No need to comment more. Thanks

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7