Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi upgrade

wifiblues
Luminary

Orbi upgrade

hi -

i currently am using the RBR20 router and supplement with 3 Orbi Satellites.

if i upgrade to RBR43, can i use the same three Satellites?

thanks,

Wifiblues

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@wifiblues wrote:

i currently am using the RBR20 router and supplement with 3 Orbi Satellites.

if i upgrade to RBR43, can i use the same three Satellites?

Yes, you can.

Message 2 of 7
wifiblues
Luminary

Thanks CrimpOn!

1 more question.

the RBR43 is packaged with 2 satellites already.  Are they the same satellites as the plug in kind?

thanks,

Wifiblues

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The RBK43 package includes one RBR40 router and two RBS20 satellites.  They are not the "plug in" RBW30 model.

Here's the product data sheet:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK43.pdf 

I believe "plug in" refers to the RBW30:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBW30.pdf   Some people find them convenient.  My personal opinion is not as positive because (a) I am not positive that they allow the bottom electrical outlet to be used, (b) they provide no ethernet ports of any kind, and (c) the design practically shouts out, "put me down by the floor, where I radio signal will be blocked by appliances, furniture, cabinets, and I will be strangled by dust bunnies."

Message 4 of 7
wifiblues
Luminary

thanks for the info and data sheet, CrimpOn.  

I agree that the satellites hog the outlets.  

the satellites that come with the RBK43 plug into the wall and can sit on the floor?  Hidden?  like under a couch?

perhaps you can recommend another Orbi Model for me.  RIght now we are using the RBK 20 and three satellites spread out across the apartment which is over 2000 square feet.  We also have roof access which so far, the current set up is working.  i am curious if there is a better set up?

thanks...Wifiblues

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@wifiblues wrote:

The satellites that come with the RBK43 plug into the wall and can sit on the floor?  Hidden?  like under a couch?

perhaps you can recommend another Orbi Model for me.  RIght now we are using the RBK 20 and three satellites spread out across the apartment which is over 2000 square feet.  We also have roof access which so far, the current set up is working.  i am curious if there is a better set up?

I am not a fan of putting electronics on the floor, inside cabinets, or under furniture.  They are made to stand upright.  My (personal) belief is one reason for the recent trend of making WiFi devices without "obvious" antennas is so that they will blend into the background and essentially people will not notice them. The RBS30's are physically smaller than the larger units.

A total of four WiFi access points should be more than adequate to cover a 2,000 sq. ft. building, unless the interior walls are solid concrete.

Message 6 of 7
wifiblues
Luminary

thanks again CrimpOn.  I appreciate the advice.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7