Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi wifi speed has degraded because of firmware 2.5.1.8 on satellite?

pmoutzo
Aspirant

Orbi wifi speed has degraded because of firmware 2.5.1.8 on satellite?

First time posting on this forum...after some Googling I figured I would come here and see if anyone had some suggestions. (The google is recommending many confusing and conflicting things to resolve my issue)

Here is what I know, I have Xfinity Gigspeed and have been able to run consistant speed tests using the Orbi iPhone app. I get about 540 Mps down and 43 Mps up. I understand this is the speed the Orbi router achieves because its sitting directly connected to the xFi modem from Comcast. This Orbi router is running firmware V2.3.5.30. My one satelite is running v 2.5.1.8.

Speed tests from my iPhone, iPad, laptop, whatever...via wifi is only reaching 25mb down. The satellite running a different firmware is what I am pegging as the issue. I have never changed any configs and the backhaul between the router and the sat is actually wired. I don't have Circle or any of that other stuff either. I can't figure out what has changed all of a sudden, but wifi degredation for me and the entire quarantined family is noticable today.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I am not even sure how only one device got updated firmware while another (the router) hasn't. The ioS app is showing that I still have to do an update and I've tried to do the iOS update many times. I have rebooted and power cycled these devices multiple times (as well as the Comcast box)

I'm looking for some help here before I go and try to figure out a direct-connect (via ethernet) to the satellite to roll back the firmware upgrade.

Any help is appreciated

P

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Orbi wifi speed has degraded because of firmware 2.5.1.8 on satellite?

@pmoutzo,

It seems that the router failed to upgrade its firmware while the satellite was able to update its firmware successfully.  It's best that both router and satellite are on the same version.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

you're best bet is to stay away from  v 2.5.1.8.  Lots of folks report problems

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

There is newer FW available for both RBR and RBS. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Manually download and unpack the FW files. Manually install them using a wired PC and web browser. Manual FW upates is preferred over using auto FW updates. 

@pmoutzo wrote:

First time posting on this forum...after some Googling I figured I would come here and see if anyone had some suggestions. (The google is recommending many confusing and conflicting things to resolve my issue)

Here is what I know, I have Xfinity Gigspeed and have been able to run consistant speed tests using the Orbi iPhone app. I get about 540 Mps down and 43 Mps up. I understand this is the speed the Orbi router achieves because its sitting directly connected to the xFi modem from Comcast. This Orbi router is running firmware V2.3.5.30. My one satelite is running v 2.5.1.8.

Speed tests from my iPhone, iPad, laptop, whatever...via wifi is only reaching 25mb down. The satellite running a different firmware is what I am pegging as the issue. I have never changed any configs and the backhaul between the router and the sat is actually wired. I don't have Circle or any of that other stuff either. I can't figure out what has changed all of a sudden, but wifi degredation for me and the entire quarantined family is noticable today.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I am not even sure how only one device got updated firmware while another (the router) hasn't. The ioS app is showing that I still have to do an update and I've tried to do the iOS update many times. I have rebooted and power cycled these devices multiple times (as well as the Comcast box)

I'm looking for some help here before I go and try to figure out a direct-connect (via ethernet) to the satellite to roll back the firmware upgrade.

Any help is appreciated

P

Message 4 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

your better bet is to STOP manual firmware updates all together.

Message 5 of 12
smeg36
Initiate

I am having the exact same problem here. I came to the community looking to ask the same question if I couldn't find an existing thread. I just started noticing the degredating when a class I was teaching over Zoom started cutting in and out. Speed tests from the iOS app show around 900Mbps down 42Mbps up. But any device connected wirelessly get around 10Mbps. The link rate on the Macbook I'm on now sitting 10 feet from the router is 54Mbps. I was on firmware 2.5.1.8 on both the router and satellite for the past while, so I upgraded it to 2.1.5.16 on both. I guess I'm going to try downgrading now.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

revert your firmware and STOP performing manual firmware updates

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@smeg36 wrote:

I guess I'm going to try downgrading now.

smart decision

when your system NEEDS an update NG will push it to you.  you don't have to do a thing

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-Drop-Connection-time-to-time/m-p/1890341/highli...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? I would suggest this if this has not been done yet. 

Also there is newer FW available as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Due to more and more people working from home, there maybe some ISP issues seen as well. ISP are getting loaded down sometimes. 

@smeg36 wrote:

I am having the exact same problem here. I came to the community looking to ask the same question if I couldn't find an existing thread. I just started noticing the degredating when a class I was teaching over Zoom started cutting in and out. Speed tests from the iOS app show around 900Mbps down 42Mbps up. But any device connected wirelessly get around 10Mbps. The link rate on the Macbook I'm on now sitting 10 feet from the router is 54Mbps. I was on firmware 2.5.1.8 on both the router and satellite for the past while, so I upgraded it to 2.1.5.16 on both. I guess I'm going to try downgrading now.

Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@smeg36 wrote:

Glad you're on the way to fixing your problem

Message 10 of 12
smeg36
Initiate

After the downgrade didn't fix anything, I went nuclear and updated the firmware to 2.1.5.16 then reset to factory settings. As frustrating as it is to have to set everything up again, using the default factory settings has resolved the issue. The same Mac sitting in the same place is now getting speedtests at 490Mbps.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Now be sure to back a backup configuration to file on the RBR for safe keeping. This comes in handy if a reset is needed in the future. 

Ya, understand the frustration. Now that is up and running well, it should work well for you.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@smeg36 wrote:

After the downgrade didn't fix anything, I went nuclear and updated the firmware to 2.1.5.16 then reset to factory settings. As frustrating as it is to have to set everything up again, using the default factory settings has resolved the issue. The same Mac sitting in the same place is now getting speedtests at 490Mbps.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7