Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 LAN ports causing packet loss.

xMav
Aspirant

RBK50 LAN ports causing packet loss.

My network started to become unreliable a few days back.  My fios internet was seeing 2-20% packetloss.

I moved the orbi right next to my FIOS ONT and used a new patch cable and the problem persisted.

I plugged my laptop directly into the ONT and the problem disapeared.

The only thing that confused me as to why maybe its not orbi is if i ping the orbi gw i have no issue (verizon ONT)

I go anything past that and there is an issue.

has anyone else seen this behavior?   Suggestions?

I don't understand that inconsistency.  Why i get packet loss to 8.8.8.8  but the orbi gw if the issue is with the orbi.

Directly connecting a pc or pluggin my nighthawk back in fixes the issue.

Message 1 of 2
xMav
Aspirant

Re: RBK50 LAN ports causing packet loss.

More info:

If i use my R8000 Nighthawk w/ wifi disabled and put the orbi in AP mode my pings are reliable.

SO that indicates its likely the WAN port that has some kind of hardware or software issue.

I did not do any firmware updates that could ahve caused this.  I did after it started and it did not help.

Again though, why can i reliably ping the ip of the ONT through the orbi wan but not google.   Maybe some kind of strange MTU issue? 

I might just be done with netgear hardware. My stupid R8000 only gets 300/300 on my gig connection. Its apparently a known bug many reported with multiple firmware versions. It randomly reboots(somtimes twice a week sometimes once every 2-3 weeks.  Which is why i got the orbi.

And now my Orbi is appears broken.  Negear offers no support outside 90 days which is crazy to me.  I pay less for cisco meraki support  per value of the hardware than Netgear is asking.  

I was heavy into netgear, with the arlo pro and  gaming networking gear. Now orbi is the last of it all for reliablity reasons. 😞

(to be fair i think the arlo issue was actually a wifi issue with my nighthawk.  My sister has used it for the past year w/o issue.)

I ordered a Eero 6 pro just incase i could not fix this hopeing i would return it. But looks like in 2 days ill be installing it unless someone here has a fantastic idea that may turn this thing around.

Thanks to anyone that took the time to read this.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7