Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK754 with powerline

xcape451
Aspirant

RBK754 with powerline

Hi, 

I'm thinking about buying a new RBR754 with 3 satellites, but I need to install one of them in the basement, and I think that the communication between the router and the satellite can be very difficult.

Could I connect this satellite to the router using an ethernet powerline and the backhaul connection feature? (accepting the bandwith limitations that the powerline offers).

Performance aside, wuold that work?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, should work.

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@xcape451 wrote:

Hi, 

I'm thinking about buying a new RBR754 with 3 satellites, but I need to install one of them in the basement, and I think that the communication between the router and the satellite can be very difficult.

Could I connect this satellite to the router using an ethernet powerline and the backhaul connection feature? (accepting the bandwith limitations that the powerline offers).

Performance aside, would that work?

This question boils down to two issues:

• Performance aside (and it can be a BIG gap in performance), As far as the Orbi units are concerned "ethernet is ethernet".  They sense a gigabit connection and have no idea that there is something besides an ethernet cable in the path.  Customers have deployed radio links, Powerline, etc.  It is impossible for the Orbi to detect that anything besides ethernet cable is there.  I would certainly use Powerline with gigabit interfaces rather than the (much older) Powerline with 10/100 jacks.
  • Wired satellites seem to be a hot topic on the user forum.  I see heated discussions in terms of AP vs. router mode, instability, version 4 firmware vs version 3, etc.  Not having the 750 series myself, I do not follow the discussions very closely.  It might be worth taking a few minutes to browse the AX customer forum and look at what people are discussing.  It seems to me that Costco has sold a bunch of 750 Orbi's and they would not continue doing so if every customer returned the product.  As with many of these topics, I am at a loss to explain what could cause some customers to be blissfully happy and other customers to be beset with intractable problems to the point that they dump the investment in Orbi and buy another product.

If it is at all possible to run an ethernet cable to the basement, that would be much higher performance.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN switches are another factor in causing problems with ethernet connected RBS. 

NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 4 of 5
xcape451
Aspirant

Thank you very much for all your answers.

We live in Italy, this is a home outside the city, a bit in the country, and unfortunally in this specific area there is only a radio tower that offers quite a weak internet connection (30Mbps / 5 Mpbps), there aren't other options available (4g and 5g haven't good reception, no broadband cable available). 

Inside the house, there are three powerlines and each one create a different SSID.

Now we want to creat a mesh network so the users can move inside the house and always have a good wifi reception without changing network based on where he is.

I was looking at the AX4200 since the AX6000 costs almost double here (RBK754 790€, RBK854 1550€), don't think it's worth in this case.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7