Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Satellite Reliability

Smwoodruff
Guide

RBS50 Satellite Reliability

I have a RBR50 Orbi with two satllites (V2.5.1.8, V2.5.1.16 ) in a three story home configuration,   The upper is connected to a cable modem, the satellite on the main floor is ethernet connected mstraight to the Orbi router (RBR50 V2.5.1.16), and the lower level is WiFi connected to the Orbi router. 

I installed the mesh system in June 2019.    Yesterday I received the 2nd replacement satellite.  The original and the the 1st replacement (ethernet connected) would disconnect more and more frequently, go offline, and eventually die totally, by becoming unresponsive to any resets, reboots, including the death of the internal switch ports on the back of the satellite.   

The 1 yr warranty has been great in providing replacement devices ( although I've paid over $30 in shipping fees).  And when it's fully functioning - performance has been excellect across the home and even across the lot outside the home.

What's been your overall realibility expereince with RBS50 satellites?  When the warranty expires, will I be stuck with a lemon and have to out of pocket something else?  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 Satellite Reliability

Glads it's all working now. As it should. Manual updates work well. 

Be sure to do a backup configruation to file. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

My friend is still on his 1st Orbi system and still runing great for him that we installed a couple of years ago:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@Smwoodruff wrote:
Thanks - all units are at the same firmware. My original post was about reliability. I was curious about others experience with satellite failures. Two in less than a year seems unusual. Could be just the luck of the draw. All is working with the 2nd replacement. No complaints about support and servicing. Just wondering about WiFi life after warranty.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

All RBS and RBR should be using same version of FW. I would factory reset the one RBS and try a wireless synce first then ethernet connect after if you want it connected wired. 

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? Should be disabled. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I use just the RBR and 1 RBS in a 5000sqft home. No problems with wireless or wired RBS. 

Message 2 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

do you know how you ended up with different firmware versions?

Message 3 of 15
Smwoodruff
Guide

I received a replacement satellite from Netgear because one of satellite failed and quit working. The replacement satellite came shipped with one version of firmware different than the router and other satellite.

In the past the router pushed firmware down to the satellites as best I can understand.
Message 4 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Smwoodruff wrote:
I received a replacement satellite from Netgear because one of satellite failed and quit working. The replacement satellite came shipped with one version of firmware different than the router and other satellite.

In the past the router pushed firmware down to the satellites as best I can understand.

since you only received the sat yesterday, perhaps it's not been long enough for the NG auto push to recognize the sat is behind.  Is auto update turned on?

Message 5 of 15
Smwoodruff
Guide

Daisy chaining - it’s configured however the setting is by default, I didn’t change it from the default setting.

Only one satellite is connected by Ethernet to the router. The other is connected wirelessly. If you could suggest how to update the firmware of the one satellite to match - that would be helpful.

For now everything is green and performing well, despite one satellite having a lower version of firmware.
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Smwoodruff wrote:
Daisy chaining - it’s configured however the setting is by default, I didn’t change it from the default setting.

Only one satellite is connected by Ethernet to the router. The other is connected wirelessly. If you could suggest how to update the firmware of the one satellite to match - that would be helpful.

For now everything is green and performing well, despite one satellite having a lower version of firmware.

key words...."For now everything is green and performing well,"...........I'd leave it alone....otherwise login to your pc (not app) and perform a firmware 'check for updates' there.  Only focusing the sats

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have access to the RBSs web page, download the RBS version of FW from NG support site and use the RBS web page to manually directly apply the FW file. Then it will be on the same version as the rest. 

@Smwoodruff wrote:

Message 8 of 15
Smwoodruff
Guide

I updated the satellite firmware from the PC (not the mobile app) and everything is all in sync at V2.5.1.16.

Message 9 of 15
Smwoodruff
Guide

Thanks - all units are at the same firmware. My original post was about reliability. I was curious about others experience with satellite failures. Two in less than a year seems unusual. Could be just the luck of the draw. All is working with the 2nd replacement. No complaints about support and servicing. Just wondering about WiFi life after warranty.
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glads it's all working now. As it should. Manual updates work well. 

Be sure to do a backup configruation to file. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

My friend is still on his 1st Orbi system and still runing great for him that we installed a couple of years ago:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

@Smwoodruff wrote:

Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Manual updates work well

yes if you don't mind spending several days back here in the community seeking help only to be asked to jump through hoops.  

Message 12 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Smwoodruff wrote:

If you stop manual updates you'll be fine 

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working now for you. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Manual updating FW is great and work well as you can see. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Smwoodruff wrote:
I updated the satellite firmware from the PC (not the mobile app) and everything is all in sync at V2.5.1.16.

Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you stop manual updates you'll be fine 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements