× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to change WIFI channel

Okiebob
Aspirant

Trying to change WIFI channel

Netgear says that my security questions are invalid but they are correct so I can no longer access my router from my PC. I will be forced to do a factory reset. In order to get support from them, I must pay ransom. Before I do that, I will buy a new system from another vendor. 

However, I can see my system using the ORBI app. Is it possible to change my wifi channel setting from the ORBI app?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
plemans
Guru

It wasn't the last time I checked (its been a while) and I'm not at home to check right now. 

A factory reset isn't hard to do. 

Its a simple as pushing and holding reset for 7-15 seconds while the device is powered on. 

And then reinstalling it. 

No need to pay for a support contract .

Message 2 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

Thanks. I will do this. Is it possible to change the wifi channel using the Orbi app?

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Channels can only be changed at the RBRs web page using a web browser. 

Message 4 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

I reset the router and it asked me to enter the serial number. I did that and it still asked me the same questions. When I entered the answers it said that they were incorrect. My desktop computer is connected to one of the satellites. Do I have to reset the satellites too?

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

If you reset the RBR using the back button for 15 seconds then release, you should have seen the setup wizard. 

It's best to connect your wired PC to the RBR when it's been reset. 

Message 6 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@Okiebob wrote:

I reset the router and it asked me to enter the serial number. I did that and it still asked me the same questions. When I entered the answers it said that they were incorrect. My desktop computer is connected to one of the satellites. Do I have to reset the satellites too?

That was not a Factory Reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

No, the satellites do  not have to be reset.

Message 7 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

I don't know what you mean about holding the back button for 15 seconds. I never see a back button either on the router or the login. 

I have used the paper clip to reset the router numerous times. Each time, a yellow flashing light comes on. When I try to log in, it asks me to enter the serial number. When I do that, the same two questions keep coming up.  I answer them but the setup says that the answers are incorrect. I can't seem to make the questions go away. 

Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

The back button refers to the paper clip reset hole in the back of the router next to the power jack. Pressing that for 15 seconds then release should reset and clear everything out. Log in to the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 and the setup wizard page should be seen here. 

Message 9 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

The issue is still unresolved. Every time that I do this, I reenter the serial number and it asks me to answer two security questions. I do that and it says that the answers are incorrect. One blog says that when Netgear did an update, they erased my answers. Netgear wants me to buy a service contract now which is beginning to look like ransomware. 

I tried connecting my laptop by ethernet to the main router and that didn't work either. 

A Youtube video says that I must also reset my satellites to the factory setting although an answer in this forum says that I don't need to do that. 

Setting your Orbi Wi-Fi system to factory default. - YouTube

Another answer says that I must also turn off the router as well. My router is a Cox Gigablast. Cox suggests that I could use its extender pods and throw away the Orbi.

Message 10 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Pressing the reset button in back for 15 seconds with the RBR disconnected from your host router should reveal a setup wizard in a web browser and not the password recovery option. Do you not see this at all with the browser pointed at 192.168.1.1 after the reset? 

Message 11 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

I see a popup that says to enter Username and Password. I tried admin and password and it doesn't like that. So I entered cancel and it asks for my serial number. I entered it and net next popup asks me to answer two questions. It doesn't like what I entered. 

I have tried numerous suggestions but the two questions keep popping up. 

I have attached a jpg with the dialog. 

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the RBR is not factory resetting correctly if after you pressed the back reset button for 15 seconds. Are you sure your feeling a slight bump when you press the button in back? 

Message 13 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

Today I held the reset button for quite a while. The light flashed amber and then went back to green after 20 seconds or so. I didn't feel a bump.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Seems like the RBR is not factory resetting correctly if after you pressed the back reset button for 15 seconds. Are you sure your feeling a slight bump when you press the button in back? 

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Should feel a slight bump when pressing and releasing the button. I guess if the LED is changing then something is happening however seems like the RBR is not fully resetting. I'd contact NG support to see what your options are. 

Message 15 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

How can I contact Netgear if my service contract has expired?

Message 16 of 22
plemans
Guru

click on "mynetgear" at the top. 

register an account and the device. 

From there you can contact support. 

Message 17 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

I registered when I purchased the product several years ago. Every link to Netgear asks me to pay for support in order contact them. I refuse to pay ransomware and will buy a product elsewhere next time. 

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try contacting a forum moderator directly and see what options are available to you.

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Good Luck. 

Message 19 of 22
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Okiebob

Please send me a private message with your name, email address and device serial number. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 20 of 22
Okiebob
Aspirant

I am unable to access the Orbi website using the Orbi password that I have. However, I can access the Orbi app on my phone and see my network. The problem started last October when I installed the app on my phone. I wonder if the app modified my password without my realizing it. If I could recover the password that the phone uses, it might solve the problem. 

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Please send the forum moderator a private message with your name, email address and device serial number. 

@Blanca_O 

@Okiebob wrote:

I am unable to access the Orbi website using the Orbi password that I have. However, I can access the Orbi app on my phone and see my network. The problem started last October when I installed the app on my phone. I wonder if the app modified my password without my realizing it. If I could recover the password that the phone uses, it might solve the problem. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series