× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to connect via WIFI b ut LAN: Invalid security certificate

papanito
Aspirant

Unable to connect via WIFI b ut LAN: Invalid security certificate

As of today I suddenly cannot connect to the internet using WLAN. Browser tells me that the security certificate is invalid

netgear_security_issue.png

The certificate does not match the url I want to browse (in that case www.google.com)

netgear_certificate.png

I don't understand why the router serves me that certificate. More interestingly the issue does not happen when using the LAN instead of the WIFI.

My router is up-to date i.e. contains the most recent firmware: Router Firmware Version: V2.7.2.10

And no it's not a browser issue, cause there is also no network connectivity on OS level i.e. I can't even upgrade my OS (Arch Linux) due do the wrongly issues certificate.

Why is that happening and how can I fix that?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9
papanito
Aspirant

netgear_access_blocked.pngInterestingly if I can accept the risk and go on -  e.g. browsing to https://www.routerlogin.net/ I will be presented with this screen telling me This device is blocked by Access Control in the router.

Message 2 of 9
papanito
Aspirant

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatus
RouterRBR50RBR50V2.7.2.104No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50Satellite-1V2.7.2.104No new firmware version available.
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So did you use access controls to block one of your devices? 

Can you get into the RBRs web page with a wired PC? 

Is Armor or Circle enabled? 

Message 4 of 9
papanito
Aspirant

So did you use access controls to block one of your devices? 

Yes but even when disabled I see the same message. In additiona my notebook is whitelisted.

Can you get into the RBRs web page with a wired PC? 

Yes as mentioned I can access as long as it's wired. Interestingly also the mobile phones of me and my family did not encounter the issue. But my son with Windows PC had the same issue.

Is Armor or Circle enabled? 

Only circle. But also disabled it without success.

What seemed to help is pressing the reset button on the back of the device - well I thought I do a factory reset so I pressed until it was blinking amber. However, settings were kept so I reconnected my notebook to the WLAN and now it works.

I really would like to understand what was going on, even so I am reliefed it works

Message 5 of 9
randomousity
Luminary

Looks like you've somehow ended up with your device being blocked in the access control list (ACL). Could be inadvertant misconfiguration, someone else (another family member?) blocked you, or just a glitch (I've randomly had one or two devices blocked for no apparent reason). Use a different device (or the same one over ethernet, if that works), log on to the Orbi configruation, go to advanced > security > access control, and check for any blocked devices in the ACL, either in the top table (currently connected devices), or the bottom one (blocked devices not currently connected), and then check the box(es) for whichever blocked device(s) you want to allow (one at a time, unfortunately), then click edit, change to "allow," apply the change, and then repeat as necessary.

That should probably resolve your issue.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

After making any changes to the RBR or access control list, you may want to reboot the RBR AND any effected devices fully after making changes to the access control list. 

Message 7 of 9
papanito
Aspirant

@randomousity wrote:

Looks like you've somehow ended up with your device being blocked in the access control list (ACL). Could be inadvertant misconfiguration, someone else (another family member?) blocked you, or just a glitch (I've randomly had one or two devices blocked for no apparent reason). Use a different device (or the same one over ethernet, if that works), log on to the Orbi configruation, go to advanced > security > access control, and check for any blocked devices in the ACL, either in the top table (currently connected devices), or the bottom one (blocked devices not currently connected), and then check the box(es) for whichever blocked device(s) you want to allow (one at a time, unfortunately), then click edit, change to "allow," apply the change, and then repeat as necessary.

That should probably resolve your issue.

I double checked and my device was NOT blocked and as I am the only one with access nobody else could have blocked it, As mentioned above eben disabling ACL did not solve the problem for me

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd factory reset and setup from scratch. Something in the configuration is not working right. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series