× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi rbr50 not connecting to the internet

tobybv
Aspirant

orbi rbr50 not connecting to the internet

I have an orbi rbr50 router.  for some reason it stopped allowing access to my vanguard account.  i can access the account with a direct ethernet connection so i know it is not vanguard.  i spoke to premium support to see if they could help.  we tried resetting the orbi with the reset button - nothing happened, then we did the disconnect of the orbi from power and then reset - again nothing - the orbi on light is good but the ring at the top never turns on or blinks. the support guy said he thinks the router is dead.  that doesn't make much sense since it was working fine before i started all of this - the only issue was vanguard.  now it does not work at all!  i tried to reset the orbi router by turning off the cable modem/router and then the orbi, then waiting, then reconnected the cable modum/router, waiting for it to set up , then connecting the orbi router.  unfortunately it still is not working.  it looks like the orbi just doesn't want to reset.  on my cell phone it says under wi-fi ORBI21 available via Orbi.  it wont' connect to the internet - it tries to authenticate but just goes back to that available via Orbi message.  Our open internet access (via orbi) just says no internet access.  I am at a loss.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I have ordered an orbi rbr50 from amazon and it will be here tomorrow but if this one can be figured out that would be great.  we have 2 satellites as well which i will reconnect once orbi is happy.  any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks....

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem/ONT.

Disconnect all other devices from the RBR. 

While the RBR is ON, press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Does the top ring LED turn on WHITE at all and blink any? 

If not, possible RBR is bad. Last resort would be to try a 30-30-30 reset on the RBR to see if this will get it working. If this fails, i'd get the RBR replaced. 

Message 2 of 14
tobybv
Aspirant

the 15 second reset did not give me any blinking on the router.  what is the 30-30-30 that i should try?

thanks...

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

While the RBR is ON, press and hold the reset button in back for 30 seconds, then while continuing to press the reset button, disconnect the power cable from the RBR. After another 30 seconds has passed, plug in the power cable while still pressing the reset button in back, after another 30 seconds, release the reset button.

Message 4 of 14
tobybv
Aspirant

unfortunately, that didn't do anything either.  i guess i will need to just wait for the refurbed rbr50 to arrive tomorrow and hope that works.  otherwise i will have to but a whole new setup with 2 satellites.  ugh.  we open for business thursday so hopefully it will all work by the end of the day tomorrow.  thanks for your help.  have a good rest of your day!

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya RBR seems busted. 

New system should work. If you have RBS, then update the incoming RBR to same FW version as what you have on existing RBS and then they should connect fine to the new RBR.

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 14
tobybv
Aspirant

thanks - have a good evening.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You too. 🥂

Message 8 of 14
JohnHighrock
Aspirant

I’ll try tomorrow this way .
Will tell you 😉

NB RBR ON with the network wire connected ?
Thks for your support
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would update the new stuff first off line from the ISP. 
Have FW files already downloaded and ready on a wired PC. 

You can set up the new stuff offline and manually first. 

Message 10 of 14
JohnHighrock
Aspirant

30/30/30 tried 3 times…nothing change and still the ils ssid name and password
Is there another way to erase this password
(It’s a used RBR bought recently on ordre to extend my curent wifi network)
Thanks
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

15 second press of the reset button then release doesn't clear and bring up the setup wizard at 192.168.1.1? 

Message 12 of 14
JohnHighrock
Aspirant

doesn't work either...I give up and will resell this router !
thks for all your time 🙂

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation