× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbit 2 satellite system - rbr30 and 2 satellites - speeds seem off

jp4120
Guide

orbit 2 satellite system - rbr30 and 2 satellites - speeds seem off

good wifi speeds from areas near base and near 1 satellite - last couple days very slow from a second satellite that used to work fine - any suggestions on what to look for other than swap the 2 satellites and see if its the hardware?

purchased from amazon july 2018. - model sold as RBK33 (not an option on the model dropdowns)

NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, with Wall Plugs (RBK33)

thx

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: orbit 2 satellite system - rbr30 and 2 satellites - speeds seem off

I would try swapping the satellites just to see if its a specific device issue or if its related to the location. 

Easy enough swap to check that. 

If its related to the location, then you'd just try moving the troublesome satellite around a bit. 

Message 2 of 4
jp4120
Guide

yeah i'll give it a shot - pain in the neck since every time i move these around there is difficulty in getting everything optimal again - i was wondering if its common to hear of 1 satellite failing and a purchase of a single satellite is the cure.....because rather than spend $150 or more on a satellite i will just replace the entire system - with whatever is currently best of breed and under$500 so either newer Orbi or a Nest or something else.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I have heard of satellites failing before. I've also heard of firmware being corrupt. Or something in a home being rearranged that causes issues. One time it was a peice of furniture that had foil lined insulation in it that caused blockages. Its why you have to see if its an issue with a specific satellite or with location. 

If you find out it is the satellite, then we can work on trying new firmware because sometimes firmware does get corrupted and needs to be reinstalled. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series