Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ps4 cannot identify NAT type while on Orbi satellite

ps4 cannot identify NAT type while on Orbi satellite

I have an Orbi mesh setup (1 router, 2 satellites). This is a new setup, replacing old my router.  The Orbi router is my router and is directly connected to my ARRIS cable modem. The only wifi in the house is the one provided by the Orbi.

When my PS4 is downstairs connected to the router, it can identify its NAT type. When it's upstairs, connected to one of the satellites, it can NOT identify its NAT type. Without the NAT type identified, we cannot play games with friends online. I'd like to force the ps4 to connect to the router no matter where it's located, or figure out a way to identify the NAT type when connected to the satellite. Has anyone had this issue before?

I've confirmed that uPNP is enabled, IPv6 disabled, added port forwarding for the assigned IP for my PS4.

Again, everything works great if I place the PS4 close enough to the router that it connects to the router.  If I place the PS4 back upstairs where it's supposed to be and it connects to the satellite, and I have a good Internet connection. But I can't connect to the PSN b/c it cannot identify its NAT type.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 43

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ps4 cannot identify NAT type while on Orbi satellite

No. Its not. Having a game console in the guest network could be since Guest Network which has less controls. 

View solution in original post

Message 32 of 43

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Can you please do a traceroute from a computer attached to the Orbi Router and repeat the same from a computer attached to the Satellite and see if there are any differences:

Please open a Command Prompt and type:

> tracert 8.8.8.8 (or traceroute 8.8.8.8 if you're using a Mac computer)

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT, and this can be the reason for the issue you’re reporting
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good in that aspect and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the cause of the issue,
Message 2 of 43

Single private ip from each location.  So the satellite is not creating a double NAT.

Message 3 of 43
ekhalil
Master

So does the traceroute give the same results (same path, same IP addresses) from when done from satellite as when done from router?
Also what is the model of the Arris cable modem?
Message 4 of 43

trace routes are identical.  ARRIS modem is a SB6183.

Message 5 of 43
ekhalil
Master

ou mentioned that you have done the port forwarding to PS4 in Orbi:

1. Which ports have you forwarded in Orbi?
  2. Have you done an IP address reservation in Orbi for the PS4 or have you set a static IP address for the PS4 in PS4?
Message 6 of 43

port fowarding the following for IP associated with our ps4 (udp & tcp) : 80, 443, 3478-3480

i haven't reservered an IP, nor set a static IP for our ps4.  It has consistently had the same IP address resevation.

Note this Orbi setup is only a week old. 

And remember, everything works perfectly when the ps4 directly connects to the Orbi router.  This is a "only when connected to the satellite" issue.

Message 7 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Please do an IP address reservation for the ps4 in the Orbi web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> LAN.  The port forwarding should be to this reserved IP address. 

Message 8 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

If you configure Port Forwarding, you'll need to disable uPnP on the RBR. 

@AmtrHomeNetAdm wrote:

port fowarding the following for IP associated with our ps4 (udp & tcp) : 80, 443, 3478-3480

i haven't reservered an IP, nor set a static IP for our ps4.  It has consistently had the same IP address resevation.

Note this Orbi setup is only a week old. 

And remember, everything works perfectly when the ps4 directly connects to the Orbi router.  This is a "only when connected to the satellite" issue.

Message 9 of 43

I tried both enabled one at a time (uPNP and Port Forwarding), and still have the same results. 

Not to go down a rabbit hole, but should I have uPNP enabled by default on my home network?  We don't have any "smart" devices, just cell phones, a tablet, PS4, and a couple of computers.

Message 10 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Port Fowarding should not be needed if you have uPnP enabled. 

Does the PS get open NAT when directly connected to the RBR via wired connection?

Message 11 of 43

I get NAT type 2 (restricted - which is what I want) when connecting the PS4 to the router via a wireless connection.  I've not tried a wired connection b/c the RBR wireless connection is what I want/need.

Message 12 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

You not see anything like NAT type 1 on PS being behind a router. NAT Type 1 is the PS directly connected to a stand alone ISP modem with out a built in router. NAT type 2 is what you'll get with a ISP modem with out a built in router and a external router connected to the modem. Like the RBR. 

Message 13 of 43
ekhalil
Master

I still think that to have Ip address forwarding you have to have IP address reservation.
You have to disable UPnP as well.
Message 14 of 43

I've reserved a (private) IP address and tried it with just port-forwarding and just uPnP.  Neither combi works. 

Even tracert shows no extra hop when connected to one of the satellites, there must be something going on under the hood b/c the PS4 fails to determine its NAT type every time it's connected to via one of the satellites.

Message 15 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

How is the RBS connected to the RBR? Wireless or wired? 

Message 16 of 43

So to back up for a second, should I stick with the default of enabling uPNP and no port forwarding, or disable uPNP and add a port forwarding custom rule for the PS4?

Daisy Chaining IS enabled (must be the default). I can tell from the mobile app that Sat2 is connected to Sat1, and Sat1 is connected to the router.  All satellite and router connections are wireless. 

The distance b/t all devices is more than 30 feet.  But my 2 story house is not that big.  The router is downstairs and both satellites are upstairs.  The router has to be where it is due to where the internet service hookup is located.

Message 17 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

To make things simple, disable any PF configurations and use uPnP. 

IF daisy chaing is enabled, lets disable it. Possibly that your RBS are daisy chained and the PS is connected to the last RBS in the chain thus the PS can't get NAT status correctly. I would first test this by turning OFF both RBS and let the PS connect to the RBR alone. Do you get NAT status here? If so, then power off the PS and turn on 1 RBS. Then power on the PS and let it connect to the RBS. Check NAT status.

Message 18 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@AmtrHomeNetAdm wrote:

So to back up for a second, should I stick with the default of enabling uPNP and no port forwarding, or disable uPNP and add a port forwarding custom rule for the PS4?

Looks to me that the Orbi Satellite is considered as another routing stage for the ps4.

Please try adding a static route to the ps4. This can be done in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced >> Static Routes.

The Destination IP Address should be the reserved ps4 IP address and the gateway should be the IP address of the Orbi Satellite. Set Metric to 2.

Message 19 of 43

I'm seeing a pop-up that my destination IP is invalid so it's not allowing me to add the static route.

I've confirmed the PS4 is on and connected.  I can see it in the list of connected devices.

Message 20 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try the suggestion of connecting the PS to the RBR first to see if it gets NAT status? 

@AmtrHomeNetAdm wrote:

I'm seeing a pop-up that my destination IP is invalid so it's not allowing me to add the static route.

I've confirmed the PS4 is on and connected.  I can see it in the list of connected devices.

Message 21 of 43

Yes.  when i bring the ps4 downstairs so it direct connects to the router (wireless), it works.

Message 22 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

And did you disable Daisy Chain on the RBR? 

How is the RBS connected to the RBR? Wireless or wired? 

How is the PS connected to the RBS? Wireless or wired? 

What happens if you turn OFF one of the RBS's leaving just 1 RBS connected to the RBR? 

I would Turn OFF the PS. If you can, perform any hard OFF or something like holding the power button on the PS. I know on the xbox console, holding the power button until the console shuts off clears all networking caches. 

I would esure uPnP is enabled on the RBR, Daisy Chain is disabled and no PF configurations. Reboot the RBR and then factory reset the one RBS and setup as per @ekhalil instructions and once it's fully back up and running, connect the PS and check NAT status. 

@AmtrHomeNetAdm wrote:

Yes.  when i bring the ps4 downstairs so it direct connects to the router (wireless), it works.

Message 23 of 43
ekhalil
Master

1. Switch off the Satellite
  2. Go to Attached Devices in the web GUI and click on the "Disconnect" button beside the Satellite in questions
  3. Turn on the Satellite and use a paper clip to factory reset the Satellite
  4. When the Satellite is up after factory reset, press the Sync button on the Satellite (if you have wired backhaul then keep the Ethernet cable to the Router connected while doing the sync) and then press the Sync button on the Router
  5. When the Satellite is added after this procedure it should behave correctly.

Message 24 of 43

I left my RBR plugged in (unintentionally), and removed both RBS's after unplugging them from the wall (these are the power outlet model RBS's). I powered off the PS4 completely.

I then plugged in one RBS and did a factory reset and did the sync on the RBS and the RBR.

And wonders of wonders, the PS4 is working now!! We (may) have seen one glitch (in the past several hours) where the ps4's wifi connection dropped entirely. I'm not sure my son was identifying the situation accurately. So I'm writing this off as an anomaly.

So it's quite clear that I added the RBS's to my RBR incorrectly the first time around. I'll write it off to a rookie mistake.

I've not added the second RBS back to the network yet, nor did I disable Daisy (since my son is finally playing Madden with his friends from the bonus room for the first time in a week). I will try adding the 2nd RBS back in the morning.

The last time I had both RBS's powered on, they were each direct connected to the RBR (even with Daisy enabled). Do you think I need to disable Daisy? The last time I tried Daisy disabled, the PS4 couldn't even connect to the Internet (even though it had an IP and showed that it was connected in the web gui). But this was all before the removal/reset/Sync. I'm not even sure I need the 2nd RBS for our house. I may just keep it in the box as a spare. I can't return it since it all came as a set.

I've followed every other recommendation to the letter (UPnP, no PF, reservered IP for ps4).

I can't thank you both enough for sticking with me through this. My experience on this forum has far surpassed my interactions with Netgear support (who wants me to setup an DMZ).

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7