× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Have you ever heard of this issue?

CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Furry,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8150492?sortBy=best

I wonder how many people, me being one, have Apple TVs on their networks. 

I have 3- Could this be contributing to the problem with the router bouncing connection?

Message 1 of 36

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Have you ever heard of this issue?

Glad the RMA fixed it. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 36 of 36

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Haven't. 

That's a old post too. Has been updated since 2018. 

One said 4th gen didn't exhibit while only the 4K did. 

Hard to tell if it's a router issue or device issue. 
No idea of there configuration or if there using Dynamic or IP address reservations. 

This something your seeing with your ATVs and Orbi system?

Where exactly are you see that issue?

What Orbi system do you have?

Using Dynamic or IP address reservations for the ATV?

Connected directly behind the RBR, or lan switch in the mix or are the ATVs wirelessly connected? 

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF as well? 

Message 2 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Hey Furry, 

I know you are on here talking to probably thousands of people- haha

You've helped me with my 970 system before. 

I looked in the Telnet debug log and noticed an apple tv asking for upnp stuff- not sure- but the times coincided with the network disconnects. So I started to look up if a device can cause your router to disconnect, and found a lot of posts about Apple TVs doing this- Even in enterprise environments like at schools and hospitals. 

I have a theory- Could a hardwired Apple TV cause some sort of loop? or broadcast storm? not sure- figured you'd know better than me. 

Message 3 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything maybe possible. 
Something to try, Set an IP address reservation for the ATVs. 

Disable uPnP on the router for say like 12-24hours then observe behavior with ATVs connected. 

If ATV disconnected from the system isn't causing problems, then reconnect and then you see problems, something ATV is going maybe causing problems. 

Message 4 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Hey Furry thanks!

I am literally sitting here waiting for out living room sat to led cycle- and it hasn’t.

Right now I have all 3 Apple TVs connected wirelessly and I think this is the longest ive seen where I don’t get a drop.

If this is the reason- this is just crazy- this to me would be on Apple. And it’s this system getting the bad wrap.

I will report back if I get a disconnect, or if it remains stable. If it does stay stable- I’d say to put out a bulletin about Apple TVs.

It seems super obscure, but I’d bet a lot of people who bought this system, could have Apple TVs with bad nics.

Connecting wirelessly seems to have ironed out the issue at this point.

Thanks for all of your help.
Message 5 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Let it run for now. Give it 3 days observation. If after that, then nothing happens. Might be good.

If you see something then observe the system with the ATVs disabled.

Then re-enable the ATVs with the couple of suggestions I made. Ya wouldn't put it past Apple to be doing something odd. 

I have seen iPhones request DHCP IPs every few seconds on other systems. Possible this is a IPv6 issue. That and DHCP and how Apple and NG does things makes it hard to narrow things down. 

Let us know how it goes in 3 days. LOL. I Think I have a 4K ATV, I need to look and see what we have. Though when I had the 970 series online, I saw no issues or disconnections while I had it online. 

Message 6 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Hey Furry thanks and will do-

Apparently it was certain ones sifting through search results and mine are older ones- but it is a thing!

If this is the case it’s sad that people are probably dealing with this and going nuts over it 😂

Will keep you posted buddy. Thanks again!
Message 7 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 36
zaguama
Aspirant

I have 3 apple tvs, two 3rd gen and one 4k 4th gen as my apple home main hub, all 3 connected wirelessly, never experienced any issues.

I’ve never used them wired so cant report about that.
Message 9 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Yeah no dice- disconnected and reconnected again 10 minutes ago.

Im wondering if this is solely on my isp…

Very frustrating. Could this have anything to do with lease release renewal? Out of return window on orbi…

I guess all I can do is wait to see if the next fw helps or pursue an rma
Message 10 of 36
zaguama
Aspirant

Could be. My internet kept dropping everyday at the same time and upon further investigation found out it was when the lease expired. My isp has 24hr dhcp lease. I opted to reset my modem one night at 3am so it disconnected everyday at 3am and hasn't bothered me ever since lol.
Message 11 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Who is your ISP? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended.

Does the front LED on the RBR turn on PINK or RED when this happens? 

Please review the UP time on the RBRs web page under Advanced tab/Internet/Show stats to see uptime now and after the RBR seem to disconnect. 

Check with your ISP to see if they have a WAN least time policy and how long it is. 

@ChristineT @Straq 

@CaptiveBolt wrote:
Yeah no dice- disconnected and reconnected again 10 minutes ago.

Im wondering if this is solely on my isp…

Very frustrating. Could this have anything to do with lease release renewal? Out of return window on orbi…

I guess all I can do is wait to see if the next fw helps or pursue an rma

Message 12 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Hey Furry,

Im on a inertek xgs pon ont model frx523 with frontier fios 2 gig.

Last night my HomeKit hub was altering my phone to no hubs responding all night do to multiple reboots

I called fios this morning- spent 2 hours on phone with tier 2 tech support- turns on there were over 200 dhcp error alarms when they logged into the ont in the onts debug logs

Attributed it to a faulty NIC at the central office and replaced it in real time- line tested, and returned no errors… directed to observe behavior for 3 days and scheduled call back on Tuesday

Tier 2 told the first thing tier 1 does is blame the router, 2nd thing is to send a field tech

Turns out he confirmed the fault was on thier back end server… my gosh what a pain in the a** this has been.

Ill report back if anything new pops up-

Thanks for being attentive to thread posts, and trying to help.
Message 13 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course, always blame the router. Glad someone there was good enough to check there side and found the issue. 

Let us know how it goes in 3 days. 😉

Message 14 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Tried it too- no better... still rebooting. 

To me it almost seems if there is an increase in attenuation, the router drops off. Fios has been to my house 7 times since buying the 970. Fios blames router, router seems fine... no body knows. 

I wonder if there is some sort of firmware bug that takes place during DHCP renewal? or if the signal degrades past a threshold that the router drops off?

Just guessing- not an expert, just having the exact same, ongoing problem.

Every day I have to reconnect a switch, a camera, etc... What an awful experience this has ended up being with this mesh system. 

Message 15 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the front LED on the RBR turn on PINK or RED when this happens? 

Message 16 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Hey Furry, the router starts off blinking white the slow blinks white then once a link is established, it goes off… at the same times the satellites start off magenta, then blink white, then light blue, then go off… usually takes 2 or 3 minutes.
Message 17 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

OK. 

How many times has this happened? 

Message 18 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

This is what it’s been doing for the past month of owning it- lost count.
Message 19 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you get in contact with NG support and ask about an RMA. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

I see one other in this forum just go there RMA that had same random reboot issue. Lets see if NG can get you a new system. 

@Blanca_O 

@KevinLiT 

Message 20 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Thanks for the information- will do this today.
So this seems to be indicative of a hardware issue?

Thanks Furry.
Message 21 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure what is causing these ransom reboots for some while others don't see this. Anything is possible. 

Keep us posted on progress with RMA.

Message 22 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you RBS ethernet connected or wireless? 

If ethernet connected, direct connected to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS? If so, Brand and model please...

Message 23 of 36
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

They’re both hardwired and reading as good
Message 24 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Direct connected to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS? If so, Brand and model please...

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7