× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI 971 DOESN'T CONNECT TO STARLINK

Jackpine
Aspirant

ORBI 971 DOESN'T CONNECT TO STARLINK

Has anyone successfully got the Model 971 to connect with Starlink? I recently purchased ORBI 971 at the recommendation of Netgear and it doesn't connect to our Starlink ISP. Have been working with Netgear support but no success so far. Very surprised it doesn't connect since Netgear has a tube video showing how easy it is to setup the 970 series to Starlink and a support tech assured me before the purchase that it would work. Based on the Community articles I used both Netgear and TP-Link switches previously with the 860 model before buying the 971 and neither approach worked. Been at this for a long time with both the 860 and 971 with no success.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have posted that using a non managed NG switch, i.e. GS-105 or maybe a GS-305 connected between the ISP adapter and RBR with out any other devices connected to this switch got the Orbi router working with this ISP adapter. 

Power OFF the ISP adapter/modem along with switch and Orbi router, then back ON starting with the ISP adapter/modem, switch, then Orbi router. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have posted that using a non managed NG switch, i.e. GS-105 or maybe a GS-305 connected between the ISP adapter and RBR with out any other devices connected to this switch got the Orbi router working with this ISP adapter. 

Power OFF the ISP adapter/modem along with switch and Orbi router, then back ON starting with the ISP adapter/modem, switch, then Orbi router. 

Message 2 of 4
Jackpine
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Coincidentally, Netgear Support, after exhausting all troubleshooting approaches, said yesterday that adding the NG GS-305 switch would  allow the ORBI RBE971 to connect to Starlink. So today, I bought an NG GS-105 switch, the store didn't have the GS-305, and it did the job.

Another question - what range extender do you recommend for the 971? The distance to a second structure is 200 feet. I have one satellite and have yet to set it up so am premature asking this question however I'm anticipating it might not be enough. Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

200 feet maybe a bit too far for home extenders. Usually at that range, LAN cable would work or maybe power line adapters if on same power circuit as home. 

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series