Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AT&T Uverse Pace 5268AC in DMZ+ With Orbi ... help please

Bmw4boy
Tutor

AT&T Uverse Pace 5268AC in DMZ+ With Orbi ... help please

So I've been struggling with this for about two weeks now. I want to be able to use Orbi as my router with my ATT suplied Pace box because the Pace doesn't support UPnp or NAT lookup (or so people say) .  I run a plex media server out of my house and need to be able to access it which didn't work just trying to use the supplied gateway and putting my orbi in AP mode.  Also I like to use Nvidia shield streaming to connect to my gaming PC from outside of my house and I also can't do that with orbi in AP mode and using the supplied Pace gateway in none DMZ+ mode.

So here's where I'm at:

• For the most part serfing the internet seems to work
  • Sometimes it seems like web pages can't resolve connections but If i hit the refresh button a couple of times it will load the web page
  • Plex seems to work outside of my house which is good
  • Nvidia streaming DOESN'T work outside of my house even though I've forwarded the correct ports
  • My roku specifically (I have two of them that have the same issue) seems to have a horrible time connecting to any channel both wired or streaming. I think it's having a hard time connecting to the roku servers in order to load a specific channel.

Here's how I have things set up:

• Turned off the wifi on the Pace gateway
  • Turned on DMZ+ mode for my orbi that's hooked to the first ethernet port on my Pace Gateway
  • Public IP address is being passed to my Orbi router
  • Orbi router is on the same subnet mask but a different IP range (10.0.0.x) and the Pace is on (192.168.1.x)
  • Orbi router is set to DHCP mode
  • updated the orbi firmware to the latest

I'm really struggling here. There are a lot of really advanced settings on the Orbi that I think might be causing some issues but I don't know what they do even after googling and I'm not sure where I'm gong wrong. Can someone please save my life here. The thing that's most concering to me is that it seems to have issues making some connections at all (like my roku) this isn't just Orbi btw. I have done this exact same setup with an airport extreme and I had the exact same issue.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 15
st_shaw
Master

Re: AT&T Uverse Pace 5268AC in DMZ+ With Orbi ... help please

This is really an issue with your Pace 5268AC router.  You want to put the Pace into bridge mode, if it supports it, so the Pace will pass the WAN IP to your Orbi in router mode.

See if this works:

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Pace_5268AC#Bridged_mode

If that doesn't work, then Google "pace 5268AC bridge mode" and look to see what other people have done.

In any case, proceed with caution and at your own risk. 🙂

Message 2 of 15
Bmw4boy
Tutor

The actually doesn't have a bridge mode offically it only supports DMZ+ mode which is an IP passthrough. Essentially you're dissabling the firewall on a single devie and passing it the public IP address. Unfortunatley that's really what everyone is recommending an it's the only thing I can do. I think my problem is a bit more nuanced than that. I bet there is some seetting or something someone could see in the numbers if they looked at both of my settings page and I'm just not seeing it because I'm not that good at this stuff.

Message 3 of 15
st_shaw
Master

The link I posted is for enablng bridge mode on the 5268AC. I realize you might have different firmware, which does not have the same option, but did you follow the link and see if the instructions work on your device?

Message 4 of 15
Bmw4boy
Tutor

Yeah it seems like a lot of thinks on that wiki are dated now that they've updated the firmware the section doesn't even exist in my settings.

Message 5 of 15
st_shaw
Master

Ok.  Too bad.

I'd guess if you cannot get the Pace to do what you want without Orbi, and ATA&T gave you a locked down modem, and AT&T won't allow third party modems, then AT&T probably doesn't want you doing what you're trying to do!

Unless you can get around it using port forwarding, or some other workaround, you might have no choice other than going with another ISP.

Message 6 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Since your Orbi is getting a public IP, that means that DMZ+ is working.  You might consider changing DNS servers on the Orbi.  Try Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Also, this shouldn't make a difference, but you can also try changing the Orbi's LAN subnet to 192.168.2.x/255.255.255.0.  If you do this, you will have to force all devices connected to the Orbi to obtain new IP addresses.

Message 7 of 15
Bmw4boy
Tutor

Yeah I've actually tried google DNS and also Open DNS on orbi to no avail. Also I've tried changing the LAN Ip range 192.168.2.x as well which also made no difference.

So the plot thinkens:

I just got off the phone with AT&T again. They already sent out two Techs to my house who clearly knew nothing and the first one just ran a speed test and diddled around on his phone for a few minutes and told me nothing was wrong. The second guy came out and did the same thing but I forced him to send someone over to look at the actual fiber line to see if something was not getting through, and he told me is was fine.

This time the guy on phone said he tried to do a "profile swap" from his end which involves running a test and it showed that the line was unstable and frequently disconnecting. Now they are sending another guy out to my house.

I really feel like this is some **bleep**ing wire crossed in the install on my house and no one compitent enough has caught it.

this is getting old...

Message 8 of 15
Bmw4boy
Tutor

Also I've done a factory reset on my Pace and connecte the roku directly to the gateway and it still has the issue.  In my NAT logs I can see a bunch of connections trying to happen and it says [UNREPLIED] on intermitant lines of the log...

^ when i hit the post button to post this message it said I had no network connected and I had to smash refresh on the page like 10 times.

Message 9 of 15
TheEther
Guru

The Pace clearly is the problem, not the Orbi.  Ask them to replace it and don't let the tech leave until you are satisfied that the replacement works.

Message 10 of 15
Bmw4boy
Tutor

Sadly they already have replaced it which is why I know it's a much larger problem having to do with the line to my actual house... I think they know it and are avoiding it. That costs them a lot of money to have to rerun the line.

Message 11 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@Bmw4boy wrote:

Sadly they already have replaced it which is why I know it's a much larger problem having to do with the line to my actual house... I think they know it and are avoiding it. That costs them a lot of money to have to rerun the line.

This doesn't make any sense, so it's nearly impossible for anyone to help you.  You posted describing what you like to do with your network, and asked for help setting up Orbi to do it. But, the things you want to were are a function of the Pace modem and have nothing to do with Orbi.  You can do anything  with Orbi in AP mode that you did before without Orbi, so keep that in mind.  Now you say it's a problem with the line to your house. Huh?

What is the whole story here?

What is the history?  For example, did you have AT&T and the Pace for a long time and just now get the Orbi, or what?

Did your network work properly before getting Orbi?

Have you ever been able to do what you describe you like to do, such as streaming from Roku or using Nvidia shield streaming from outside your house?

Message 12 of 15
JoesLeftShoe
Aspirant

So I don't use the Orbi wifi system but came across this thread previously due to issues setting up my Pace 5268AC on U-Verse with my Luma system. I had to avoid the DMZ+ mode and 'Allow Individual Applications' in order to get my Plex server and Tablo DVR to be accessible from the outside. I set up each port by Application name and then assigned those applications to my Luma Router. For whatever reason, simply passing through my external IP address via DMZ+ didn't solve the problem.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Message 13 of 15
bhoriuchi
Aspirant

I was running into this issue with my new Orbi router on uverse until i read the blurb on DMZ Plus mode that says the "computer" needs to be rebooted. So i enabled DMZ Plus mode and rebooted the orbi and everything started working (i already had all my port forwarding set up in the orbi).

Message 14 of 15
waynealight
Apprentice

i have that same pace router aswell.  dmz+ mode, then setup port forwarding and triggers for the port range you need.  my camera system is what i deal with.  even though orbi supports upnp, which allows the cameras to get online, i cant view them when im on the orbi network until i setup port forwarding manually.  added the range that covered the cameras and worked immediatly.  dmz+ is the only way to get those ports past the uverse router. manually configuring wont help.   rebooting the computer after dmz+ will force the ip change.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7