Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot send images over wifi

Jsl05
Tutor

Cannot send images over wifi

I cannot send images via imessage or upload to the cloud on my wifi all of a sudden. any help?

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cannot send images over wifi

Help with what NG product? 

@Jsl05 wrote:

I cannot send images via imessage or upload to the cloud on my wifi all of a sudden. any help?

Message 2 of 17
plemans
Guru

Maybe start with some details.

1. what modem do you use? 

2. what router are you using? (model number)

3. what firmware is your router on?

4. how long have you been having the issue? 

Message 3 of 17
Jsl05
Tutor

It had been working fine and then about a week ago we started to have the problem

I have an Arris modem with service from Optimum

Orbi RBR20

firmware V2.3.5.30

I have done the speedtest on the app and my upload speed is ~40 Mbps

Thank you all for suggestions

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 17
plemans
Guru

@Jsl05 wrote:

It had been working fine and then about a week ago we started to have the problem

I have an Arris modem with service from Optimum-----Which one? 

Orbi RBR20

firmware V2.3.5.30

I have done the speedtest on the app and my upload speed is ~40 Mbps------Is that what you pay for?  What's your download? 

Thank you all for suggestions

Message 5 of 17
Jsl05
Tutor

I have an Arris modem with service from Optimum-----Which one? 

TM1602

Download speed ~400 Mbps, which is what I pay for

I increased my speed thinking that working from home and having all 3 kids home all day I needed more. Prior I was at 300/30

Message 6 of 17
H8NYR
Initiate

Exact same thing is happening to me. I have the same Arris TP1602 and Netgear R7000P. I'm pulling my hair trying to figure this thing out. I went so far as to plug the Arris directly into my laptop and turn the laptop into a mobile hotspot for the iPhone (bypassing all Netgear equipment). Same thing - rediculously slow picture send speeds on iMessage (2-4 minutes per image). So I can say with near certainty that the issue lies either with the Arris TP1602 or Optimum Online. I have the 400/40 speed plan, and this happened to me about a week or so ago. And only (seemingly) via iMessage and pictures (don't do any iCloud stuff). I put back the original configuration and pulled up the graphs from my Cisco firewall and it seems very clear to me that there is a throttle for iMessages at about 250kbps with our hardware configs. I can upload to Slack or Google Hangouts the same image and I'm getting ~30Mbps upload speeds via wifi on the iPhone, but pictures to iMessage are capped at about 250Kbps.

I know this doesn't so much help the current situation as maybe eliminate some variables for you. Take solace in knowing you are not the only one with this problem, and if I come up with a solution, I'll let you know (and 2 hours on with Optimum support today wasn't the answer - shocker).

Message 7 of 17
Jsl05
Tutor

Well...i guess that is good to hear! I spent 2 hours on with Netgear support and they could not figure it out. I am also having the same slowness uploading to amazon photo so you can add that one to your list as well. However I tried uploading from my computer on wifi to amazon and it worked ok. If I get anywhere tomorrow with netgear I will let you know as well. How

Message 8 of 17
plemans
Guru

What did netgear have you try doing? 

Did you try changing dns providers? you could try google's at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1

try enabling/disabling ipv6?

Message 9 of 17
wmonto
Aspirant

I am currently using an ASUS Router.  Same problem.  I've swaped 3 modems on Altice / Optimum, same problem.  I had a tech come out for $80 -- replaced the line to our media box in our basement (even though the modem levels were fine), same problem.  Optimum Online has had almost 0 upload speeds at time for the last 10 days.  It has gotten better, but I think they are choosing to block some upload traffic and sacrificing upload to icloud services.  I have Verizon, with a Verizon repeater connected to the same router on Optimum Service in the house.  If I turn off the wifi, and use the repeater, my icloud services work quickly and as intended (that is sometimes the only way send a photo or document in iMessages).  The Verizon repeater uses IMO, a VPN tunnel to Verizon, so they cannot see the traffic on the Optimum side.  

Message 10 of 17
H8NYR
Initiate

I think that’s *exactly* what they’re doing. Of course they won’t admit it, but yeah there is something about the upload speeds to Apple endpoints that are abysmal. And not for everyone apparently. I talk to my neighbor 3 houses away and no issues. I’ve got 3 teenagers and of course they are consuming bandwidth as if it’s some god-given right. I have to believe that’s playing into it. Some sort of unpublished data cap, if I had to guess. Spent 10 hours or so on this already; the timeframes you mentioned line up perfectly to mine, and I’m now all but convinced that’s what’s happening.
Message 11 of 17
Dfortune
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem with optimum. Not just iMessage but also Dropbox and OneDrive. But google drive upload speed is 40mbs. 

I did not have this problem before. I even upgraded thinking I was overwhelming the system with everyone home. Download is 400. Upload is 40 on Speedtest, but if I put a file in Dropbox and watch it syncs it does not break 24kbs. Then same file to Googledrive it is 40mbs. 

using Eero. Plugged computer directly into router to test DropBox and OneDrive and same problem, which takes eero out. 

Turned on Encrypt.me which is a VPN. No problem sending the same image via text. 

This is definitely some kind of throttle. 

Message 12 of 17
japes1313
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem - added Eero Pro to Arris MT1602 on Optimum Online and that day everyone's iCloud backup and sending photos/videos on iMessage stopped.  I recently upgraded to 400/40 and my speeds are working fine according to speedtest.  The new modem came with the upgraded service.  Now it "times out" and i get the dreaded red exclamation point every time and on iCloud backup you get the message that backup failed due to "poor network performance." 

All other data intensive applications work - facetime, Whatsapp, Netflix, Bloomberg etc.  Something about iOs uploads are not working through.  Please keep the thread going if others having the same problem!

Message 13 of 17
Dfortune
Aspirant

If it’s an option a VPN will work around this. Eero comes with encrypt.me. Download (to each device), turn it on with encryption, and upload problems magically fixed. I use a nightly backup to cloud which fails. I turn on encrypt me, restart the backup, and it finishes in 5 minutes. Encrypt me is pretty easy. Only solution I have found.
Message 14 of 17
wmonto
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion!
Message 15 of 17
Dfortune
Aspirant

And magically, over the past few days, the issue has resolved. Dropbox, iMessage, OneDrive all working again no VPN required. A mystery but for me it is “fixed”.
Message 16 of 17
wmonto
Aspirant

They were definitely throttling these services. I noticed Onedrive was very slow one day, but that resolved. They will deny they throttle service. I suggest you tweet that to them. I already have. They deny it. I’m not sure why. So that you call a service tech and they can charge you $80 when they find something “wrong” with your wiring?
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7