Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN ports stopped working

dpass83
Tutor

LAN ports stopped working

Out of no where, my LAN ports stopped working both on router and sat. I have rebooted and reset but does not fix. After a reboot, the ports will work for about two minutes but then anything connected to them dies again. Any ideas with this?
Message 1 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: LAN ports stopped working

Hello dpass83

Have you done a factory reset by holding the reset button for 10 seconds? Also have you updated to the latest firmware?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 17
dpass83
Tutor

yes to both.
Message 3 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dpass83

You may want to contact support if there is a hardware issue with your unit.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 4 of 17
MollyDg
Tutor

My LAN ports stopped working also.  If I plug anything in to them the whole roouter shuts down.  

Message 5 of 17
dpass83
Tutor

I actually just fixed the issue last night. I had a 5 port switch attached to the router to give me extra ports. On a whim, i unplugged the switch and then the devices i had attached to the router worked again. I'm unsure why the switch is killing the router's lan ports though. It doesn't look like i have any configuration that would cause a bridgeloop. If you have a switch attached, try to unplug it.
Message 6 of 17
MollyDg
Tutor

No switch attached.  It was working fine for about 2 months and now if i attach anything to the LAN post it turns Magenta and stops working.  Router works great with nothing else attached.

Message 7 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello MollyDg

Have you factory reset the unit and updated to the latest Firmware? If so you may want to contact support if this is still happening.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 8 of 17
MollyDg
Tutor

Hi DarrenM,

I tried resetting and do have the latest Firmware.  Like I said works great wirelessly.  But when I plug in something to the LAN port, stops working, turns magenta.  Tried calling support and they just told me the same thing to update and reset.  Any other ideas???

Message 9 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I would call back to support and tell them none of those solutions worked could be a hardware issue.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 17
sirgustov
Aspirant

Did anyone ever find a fix for this?

Have done resets etc.. and have spent hours on the phone with support.  Still no answer.

Message 11 of 17
tindrum
Aspirant

Plugging in a simple Netgear switch (Model FS105) makes my Orbi quit working. Unplugging the switch from the Orbi makes it work again. Not sure why this is, but it's annoying. If I'm limited to three ethernet ports in one room and four in the other, it's going to be a very bad situation.

Message 12 of 17
rosstradamus
Initiate

I too experienced the ethernet ports on my Orbi router stopping a couple of days ago.  The wifi is fine (although it's died a couple times but came back when I did a reset). But, like the other people who have posted, when I detach the 8-port ethernet switch connected to the router, the other ports on the Orbi router start working again.  I've updated to the latest firmware but the ports are still not working with the switch connected.  Clearly this is an issue with the firmware or hardware if multiple users are experiencing the same problem.  Can someone from Netgear please let us know if this has been recognized by the tech folks managing the Orbi updates and if they are working to resolve it.  And if anyone finds a fix, please let us know.  Thanks!  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 13 of 17
ollewis
Guide

Had a power failure and then ethernet ports stopped working on the router.

I read online someone unplugged their ethernet switch (hub?) that was wired to the Orbi.

I tried that, unplugged the hub.

That did it for me. I then plugged the hub back in and now all is fine

Message 14 of 17
rosstradamus
Initiate

Unplugging the switch worked for me too.  Glad this got resolved!

Message 15 of 17
SeanSeah
Aspirant

Just set up a new RBK. Wireless works fine but my 3 ports are working when plugged directly into the  router. However once i plug it into a long cable it no longer works. Was working when I initially set it up. I have already done a reset!

Message 16 of 17
Brain29
Apprentice

My lan and wifi ports stop working once a day seems to be no resolution talking to support 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7