Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellites connection

walkerx
Guide

Orbi Satellites connection

I have my orbi satellites connected via ethernet, yet one always wants to connect wirelessly.

will there be a reason why it wants to connect wirelessly even though it should be connecting via ethernet for the backhaul.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
walkerx
Guide

Re: Orbi Satellites connection

I've already contacted amazon and they are sending out a replacement system

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 20

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Reasons can be one of the following:

1. Bad connectivity caused by bad cable or switch in between
  2. You have a device or devices connected to the Satellite's LAN that causes loops on the Satellite and will cause Orbi to disable the LAN ports. Please check if you have such devices that can have both Ethernet and wifi connections.
  3. Becaue of a bug in current software (2.2.1.210) the loops can also be cause by enabling Daisy Chain while having Ethernet backhaul. Please make sure that Daisy Chain is disabled when you have Ethernet backhaul.
Message 2 of 20
walkerx
Guide

@ekhalil wrote:

Reasons can be one of the following:

1. Bad connectivity caused by bad cable or switch in between
  2. You have a device or devices connected to the Satellite's LAN that causes loops on the Satellite and will cause Orbi to disable the LAN ports. Please check if you have such devices that can have both Ethernet and wifi connections.
  3. Becaue of a bug in current software (2.2.1.210) the loops can also be cause by enabling Daisy Chain while having Ethernet backhaul. Please make sure that Daisy Chain is disabled when you have Ethernet backhaul.

1) Tested in the spot where the other satellite (Sat2) is and get the same under the main orbi it shows that its (Sat1) connected via 5Ghz and backhaul is good, place my other satellite(Sat2) back in position and its connected via ethernet and backhaul is good. If I then place Sat2 where Sat1 is usually situated it is connected via ethernet and backhaul is good. This now makes me wonder if there is a fault with Sat1.

2) The only connection on the satellites is the cable for the backhaul

3) Checked the Daisy Chain setting on main Orbi and this is unticked

I have my Orbi's set outside of the DHCP range with their IP's reserved for all 3 units. But I have also noticed recently that if I disconnect the wan of my router (not the Orbi) my wifi goes down, which is also odd, as should still be able to access devices on my internal network

Message 3 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@walkerx wrote:

1) Tested in the spot where the other satellite (Sat2) is and get the same under the main orbi it shows that its (Sat1) connected via 5Ghz and backhaul is good, place my other satellite(Sat2) back in position and its connected via ethernet and backhaul is good. If I then place Sat2 where Sat1 is usually situated it is connected via ethernet and backhaul is good. This now makes me wonder if there is a fault with Sat1.

There can be an issue with your Sat1.

1. Have you tried to factory reset the Satellite?
  2. Have you tried to connect the Ethernet backhaul to another LAN port on the Satellite?

@walkerx wrote:

I have my Orbi's set outside of the DHCP range with their IP's reserved for all 3 units. But I have also noticed recently that if I disconnect the wan of my router (not the Orbi) my wifi goes down, which is also odd, as should still be able to access devices on my internal network

The IP address reservation should be from within the Orbi DHCP range NOT outside!

If you get wifi issues when you disconnect the WAN port this tells that your ISP router has also control over routing in your network or is also proving DHCP addressing. Do you have Orbi in Router Mode? If yes is your ISP router bridged? What is the model of your ISP router?

Message 4 of 20
walkerx
Guide

@ekhalil wrote:

@walkerx wrote:

The IP address reservation should be from within the DHCP range NOT outside!

If you get wifi issues when you disconnect the WAN port this tells that your ISP router has also control over routing in your network or is also proving DHCP addressing. Do you have Orbi in Router Mode? If yes is your ISP router bridged? What is the model of your ISP router?

That depends on router and operating systems, ip reservations can be done outside of the DHCP range

static.JPG

My Orbi is in AP mode and my router (Opnsense) controls the DHCPv4/v6 not the Orbi.

My setup is HG612 (modem) - Opnsense (router) - Orbi (wifi)

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Is Daisy Chain disabled? 

Do the following in the same room as the Orbi base router:

When connecting the satellites via wired back haul, connect 1 satellite first via wireless, then once you get the BLUE led on top of the satellite, connect the LAN cable between the satellite and Orbi router. Wait for up to 5 minutes for the top LED to turn BLUE

Don't do any IP address reservation. Just see if the satellite gets to this point and check the status. Sometimes the status in the UI takes a bit to refresh. 

For normal IP address reservations, typically these are done with IN the default IP address pool. Static IP addresses are done outside of the default IP address pool which are done ON devices, not on the router. 

@walkerx wrote:

I have my orbi satellites connected via ethernet, yet one always wants to connect wirelessly.

will there be a reason why it wants to connect wirelessly even though it should be connecting via ethernet for the backhaul.

Message 6 of 20
walkerx
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Is Daisy Chain disabled? 

When connecting the satellites via wired back haul, connect 1 satellite first via wireless, then once you get the BLUE led on top of the satellite, connect the LAN cable between the satellite and Orbi router. Wait for up to 5 minutes for the top LED to turn BLUE

Don't do any IP address reservation. Just see if the satellite gets to this point and check the status. Sometimes the status in the UI takes a bit to refresh. 

For normal IP address reservations, typically these are done with IN the default IP address pool. Static IP addresses are done outside of the default IP address pool which are done ON devices, not on the router. 

@walkerx wrote:

One is a HP ProCurve 1810G - 8 GE and the other is a Zyxel GS1900-24E, both currently in unmanaged mode, so nothing to with vlans or managed configuration.

As per my post above daisy chain is disabled

Amazon have offered to replace, so I'm not messing about much more with this especially as the other satellite is working fine, its only 1 satellite that is not

Previously IP address reservation was done outside of the dhcp range, not inside, even microsoft only changed it for their products when they done server 2008 r2, prior to that they used outside of the range for reservations. You will also find a lot of companies still work that way where the reserved ip's are out of the dhcp range.

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Your two switches are non Un-Manged, they are Managed:

https://www.zyxel.com/support/DownloadLandingSR.shtml?c=gb&l=en&kbid=M-01602&md=GS1900-24E

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02563753

If you can connect the satellite direct with the Orbi router to test to see if the satellite connects via wired cable and remains. Then you can see if the satellite is good. If it does connect and remain, then the issue will be how it's connected thru these managed switches. 

Any and ALL IGMP Protocols should be disabled on these switches as this seems to cause problems with Orbi and wired connections with satellites. 

Maybe however for most home networking environments, reserved is within and static are outside only. Keeps things simple and this works.Any other configurations may work or cause problems. However lets keep things simple first. Anything after that, will be up to you. 

@walkerx wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Daisy Chain disabled? 

@walkerx wrote:

One is a HP ProCurve 1810G - 8 GE and the other is a Zyxel GS1900-24E, both currently in unmanaged mode, so nothing to with vlans or managed configuration.

Amazon have offered to replace, so I'm not messing about much more with this especially as the other satellite is working fine, its only 1 satellite that is not

Previously IP address reservation was done outside of the dhcp range, not inside, even microsoft only changed it for their products when they done server 2008 r2, prior to that they used outside of the range for reservations. You will also find a lot of companies still work that way where the reserved ip's are out of the dhcp range.

Message 8 of 20
walkerx
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Your two switches are non Un-Manged, they are Managed:

https://www.zyxel.com/support/DownloadLandingSR.shtml?c=gb&l=en&kbid=M-01602&md=GS1900-24E

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02563753

If you can connect the satellite direct with the Orbi router to test to see if the satellite connects via wired cable and remains. Then you can see if the satellite is good. If it does connect and remain, then the issue will be how it's connected thru these managed switches. 

Any and ALL IGMP Protocols should be disabled on these switches as this seems to cause problems with Orbi and wired connections with satellites. 

Maybe however for most home networking environments, reserved is within and static are outside only. Keeps things simple and this works.Any other configurations may work or cause problems. However lets keep things simple first. Anything after that, will be up to you. 

@walkerx wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Daisy Chain disabled? 

@walkerx wrote:

If you read my post, it says they are currently running in an un-managed configuration not a managed configuration. This means I've not enabled any of the managed setup (ie vlans, qos, port management, etc, etc) - they are currently running as a bog standard switch.

IGMP is disabled as don't need it as not using IPTV (ie BT TV) as use Sky Q

As in my post earlier (not showing image so have attached it) you will see that it states that ip reservation must be outside of the dhcp range which is what i've done so know which ip they will always be on, seeing you can't set the satellites with a static IP

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Do the satellites connect directly to the Orbi base with out the switches or IP address reservations being configured? 

Can you put the one satellite on the same line as the other satellite to see how it connects? 

Also swap satellite positions with the other working satellite. Does the problem follow? 

Message 10 of 20
walkerx
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do the satellites connect directly to the Orbi base with out the switches or IP address reservations being configured? 

Can you put the one satellite on the same line as the other satellite to see how it connects? 

Also swap satellite positions with the other working satellite. Does the problem follow? 

This comment, suggests you've not read any of the posts as i've mentioned further up after initial tests the problem moves with the satellite.

Even with the satellite in same room so can do the other checks and it won't connect wirelessly to the main orbi, even tried resyncing the unit. It just displays solid magenta

If I then plugin using wired connection either via switch or direct to orbi router, it goes blue and then connected and shows in the browser as connected via 5G.

This suggests to me that the satellite has a fault

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably need to get the system RMAd then. Also having it not show as working in the app, probably is a indication that the satellite is bad as your can't seem to get the app to work right with it in your other thread. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 20
walkerx
Guide

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

The new system should be good. Keep us posted. 

@walkerx wrote:

Message 14 of 20
walkerx
Guide

Hopefully it will be.

I even done a full reset of the whole system and definitely something wrong as in app it shows the satellite with incorrect 192.168.1.xx ip when I'm not even using that range and that satellite is on correct range.

Even under AP mode it was showing 192.168.1.254 as the DHCP server even though that is incorrect and it was selecting the correct ip, dns and gateway from my router. Took a couple of resets to get it to pick up the correct info throughout.

So fingers crossed that replacement works when it arrives.
Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 20
walkerx
Guide

new system installed, but noticed after moving satellites to their new locations and rebooting the main orbi, it can take up to 10 minutes for the satellite to connect wirelessly (its about 25 feet away).

Also noticed that in the web interface it randomly reports the device as disconnected

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

25feet maybe too close, try 30feet. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 18 of 20
walkerx
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

30ft is in the garden, so no can do

on channel 13

both enabled

20/40 not really best idea setting to 40 in an area with a lot of 2.4ghz wifi connections being broadcast

daisy chain is disabled

fast roaming enabled so it can connect to the satellites quicker

ipv6 settings not available in ap mode

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try settin the power output levels from 100% to 75% or 50% and see if this changes anything. 

@walkerx wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

30ft is in the garden, so no can do

on channel 13

both enabled

20/40 not really best idea setting to 40 in an area with a lot of 2.4ghz wifi connections being broadcast

daisy chain is disabled

fast roaming enabled so it can connect to the satellites quicker

ipv6 settings not available in ap mode

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7